JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with 15-2117

View previous topic :: View next topic  
po_boy96

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Problem with 15-2117 Reply with quote

First I would like to thank Rob for helping me get on the forum. I have a RS 15-2117 and just finished programing it the way I like it for the most part. My problem is this I have a Kenwood vr-505 receiver and I used the vr-407 code on the JP1 database and modified it to work on my remote by using IR and the learning function on the remote. Here is the problem, on my LCD screen it has the receiver labeled as a DVD player. I tried to change the label on IR but it changes something in the code and the remote no longer works right with the receiver (all of the buttons are in a goofy order.) Is there any way I can change the label without having to completly reprogram the remote? Also, is there a way I can take the learned codes and program them into the remote program in IR so I can free up the memory for a new device? I tried to follow the instructions on the JP1 database but it did not work (might have something to do with me changing the device name from DVD to RCVR.) I don't mind the LCD showing it as being DVD, but my wife is not tech savvy and would probably have a problem with this. Any help would be appreciated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with 15-2117 Reply with quote

po_boy96 wrote:
First I would like to thank Rob for helping me get on the forum. I have a RS 15-2117 and just finished programing it the way I like it for the most part. My problem is this I have a Kenwood vr-505 receiver and I used the vr-407 code on the JP1 database and modified it to work on my remote by using IR and the learning function on the remote. Here is the problem, on my LCD screen it has the receiver labeled as a DVD player. I tried to change the label on IR but it changes something in the code and the remote no longer works right with the receiver (all of the buttons are in a goofy order.) Is there any way I can change the label without having to completly reprogram the remote?

Hi John and welcome.

The reason your upgrade shows as DVD is because you had it set that way in the KM spreadsheet, and as you've discovered, if you simply change the device mode in IR, the functions will all be on the wrong buttons. So what you need to do is go back to KM and change it there, then re-copy it over to IR.

po_boy96 wrote:
Also, is there a way I can take the learned codes and program them into the remote program in IR so I can free up the memory for a new device?

If you go to the Learned Signals tab in IR, you will see that for each learned signal there is a protocol, device code(s) and OBC/EFC code displayed. If the protocol and device code(s) match a setup code that you're already using (ie, are these buttons from a remote for a device for which you have already found, or made, a setup code), then you can just programthem as key moves instead. If the setup code in question is an upgrade that you created, you can add these to the KM sheet and make them part of the upgrade.

However, removing the learned signals will just free up learning memory, it won't free up upgrade, macro or keymove memory. So, you might be just as well leaving them as learned signals for now. The main reason you might want to get rid of them inthe future is if you decide to try using the extender for this remote, but first things first, eh?

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
po_boy96

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tried changing the device in KM and when I did a good number of the codes in the "key move code" area changed. The remote did not work the same after the change in KM. Should the "key move code" codes changing effect the remotes performance this much, or am I just doing something wrong. Oh and by the way, the original label on the VR-407 code was VCR, not DVD. I must have changed it to DVD while experimenting with the remote codes for my DVD player also. I was able to get the DVD player to work properly (APEX 800) and customize a few buttons with no problems. Thanks again for your help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the Layout sheet in KM, it will show you what buttons are available in each mode. Then when you go back to the Buttons sheet you will notice that several buttons have a "@" prefixed in front of them. This indicates that this button is not part of the keymap and will result in a keymove. When you change device modes in KM, the buttons requiring key moves will also change.

If you want to avoid the complication of key mvoes for now, just check the "Disable Key Move" box in the Setup sheet.

When you replace an upgrade you will be fixing all the buttons that were programmed as part of the old upgrade, however, you won't be fixing any key moves that were created as part of it, so you will need to delete those manually.

I suggest going back to the file you saved at the beginning and re-applying the upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: