JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So here's something weird...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncoig

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: So here's something weird... Reply with quote

I am breaking in a Nevo and as part of the configuration in my Den, I have a series of Activities that launch various things. One is a "Watch CCTV Cameras" Activity which does the following:

Turns on my Display (NECx2 commands)
Selects HDMI1 as the input on the same display
Selects the appropriate display for switcher output (NEC1 commands)
Selects the CCTV NVR as the source on the same switcher

Completely unrelated to this macro, I have an IR home automation controller that uses a set of RC-5 commands to initiate various things around the house.

Well, I noticed that my ceiling fans had come on without my intent the other night, and I narrowed it down to the Activity above. Sure enough, somehow, the fans were being turned on around the time the second command was issued, but I think before the third.

Changing the timing of the second command from 0.1 to 0.3 seconds seems to have cured the issue, but how odd is that? The timings of the NEC2 blended or the brevity of the command made the IR interpreter looking for the RC-5 commands see that input???

Odd, indeed.

-N
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not that odd really.

Also my experience tells me that RC5 signals are comparatively likely to false hits. It is a very simple protocol, consisting of only 900ms and 1800ms durations, around 10 pairs, with no redundancy.

I once had a Plasma globe lobotomizing a Maranz AV receiver (using RC5....)

If the Extraterrestrials are trying to send RC5 signals to us, SETI probably would consider the signal as noise... Laughing
ncoig

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: So here's something weird... Reply with quote

ncoig wrote:

Odd, indeed.

...and it gets more interesting. That "fix" didn't work... It just so happens that my Samsung panel and CCTV NVR both use EFC 001/OBC 153 for a command...

The Samsung uses it for Discrete On, and the NVR the "right arrow" - so whenever I turn on the TV, the camera view changes. I hadn't wondered too much why the source was never the same when viewing, but now I know. Unbelievable. What I don't get is that the Protocol ISN'T the same. One is NECx2, Device 7, Subdevice 7 and the other is NEC1, Device 0... the TV commands are read by both, but the CCTV commands are ONLY read by the NVR...???

SO, in the same Activity, I have:

1. Turn on my Display (NECx2 command EFC 001)
(Also read by my NVR as an input change - an NEC Device, EFC 001)
(Also occasionally read by my automation controller as "Turn fans on" on RC-5, EFC 47)

2. Select HDMI1 as the input on the same display (NECx2 command EFC 081)
(Also occasionally read by my automation controller as "Turn fans on" on RC-5, EFC 47)

3. Selects the appropriate display for switcher output (NEC1 commands)

4. Selects the CCTV NVR as the source on the same switcher

If this weren't complicating things enough - note that the errors on the RC5 device ONLY occur on the Nevo - the 6540 I have in the same room doesn't cause the unintended fan switching.

?!?

-N

Last edited by ncoig on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
ncoig

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
It is not that odd really.

Also my experience tells me that RC5 signals are comparatively likely to false hits. It is a very simple protocol, consisting of only 900ms and 1800ms durations, around 10 pairs, with no redundancy.

I once had a Plasma globe lobotomizing a Maranz AV receiver (using RC5....)

If the Extraterrestrials are trying to send RC5 signals to us, SETI probably would consider the signal as noise... Laughing

It's no plasma globe (I'd love to see pictures of this setup, mind you!!) but it was seemingly E.T. that was infiltrating my system as you can see!!!

-N
ncoig

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... another find -- nearly any command issued on the Nevo from that Samsung device will trigger the RC-5 command -- in fact it may be receiving several different RC-5 variants... but only the Nevo does it... 6540 behaves. I don't recall this ever happening with my 15-1994, either... so that points to the Nevo (which I just ordered several more of, and am now regretting) being the culprit... I think?

-N
ncoig

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpitty-bump.

Anyone able to guess why the Nevo does that the 6540 does not?

-N
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had this problem, the first step I would take is to use the IR widget to see what is actually being sent. If there are extra commands (and there probably are) the next step would be to try to determine where those commands are coming from. Simplify things down to a single device and see if the problem still exists. If you don't have a widget, post your problem file in the diagnostics area and I can see if I can observe the problem. Since I don't have the same equipment, I may not be able to see anything at all, but it may be worth a try.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a widget, even one of your newer learning remotes may be able to pick up a second IR signal. Of course a widget is much better for this because a learning remote tries to classify the IR before storing the learn.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncoig wrote:
Bumpitty-bump.

Anyone able to guess why the Nevo does that the 6540 does not?

-N
What do I know, but just wondered what would happen if the Nevo could learn the commands from the 6540.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: