JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extra commands needed for XBMC box with Kodi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Extra commands needed for XBMC box with Kodi Reply with quote

Rob, in that upgrade for Sony's 2015 Android Tvs, about which you already advised, thank you, in topic http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16346
... I couldn't find any Keyboard alphabet commands by checking the missing OBCs but happily a bluetooth mini keyboard does the trick instead.

I would now like to complete a similar check in an upgrade which works an XBMC/kodi S805 Media box which, without a USB dongle, doesn't connect by bluetooth :-
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12681
The protocol for this upgrade is NEC1 with device 204 and subdevice 29 being common to all the functions which are known to work. I note that the working functions for the digits are scattereded between OBC 65 and 79 and have checked any missing OBCs up to 126. Would you kindly advise, along the same lines as before, if useful OBCs might extend further, i.e. up to 256, or if any of those is likely to be particularly dangerous?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases, a search for OBCs should be from 0 to 255, and that is certainly true for NEC. Sony is unusual in that it only uses 0-127
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. We tried the whole set of OBCs but unfortunately none works in the XBMC S805's on screen keyboard.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I helped with XMBC in the past, they provided a source list so we could see what the extra functions were.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vicky, I could not find your old posts. The subject in this enquiry is not the Sony Tv but a generic chinese 'S805 quad core' box, but any chance your info applies and do you still have any details?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
Hi vicky, I could not find your old posts. It is a generic chinese 'S805 quad core' box, but any chance you still have any details?

The xmbc I had was for a different box. It was actually for an Appletv. But the point was there should be a source list for the xmbc which defines the IR pattern for the extended codes.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Our daughter has an older AppleTv so anything you have might help with that. The S805 manual is clearly a translation but at your suggestion I have instead asked for the seller's address, so I can ask for a source list which defines the IR pattern for the extended codes, but may need to come back if I can get anything of that kind Smile
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am out of my depth here but have asked for 'a source list which defines the IR pattern for the extended codes', and for Pronto codes in case they would do.

By way of an attempted explanation I added the following.
'It would seem to go like this:
1.) For the keyboard commands, it is clear that the MXV box can respond by using protocols to convert Bluetooth commands to the appropriate android code for those operations.
2.) For the buttons/commands on the original remote (except for buttons for the letters), the MXV box can respond by using protocols to convert IR commands to the appropriate android code for those operations.
It is information as to how the conversion in 2.) could be used to produce the appropriate android code in 1.) which is needed.'

Does that make sense please?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tranx, is this the box that you're trying to program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6czg543sLr0
http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_250562.html

And am I right that you're looking for keyboard commands (like A, B, C, etc)? If so, even if they exist, adding these to a regular remote is not really practical, but what might work is adding a regular wireless keyboard.

Something like this perhaps...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M75WPKO

Or, if you want a trackpad (mouse), maybe this...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I5SW8MC/
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, you are right about the box which is variously branded and aka MXV, and I see the point about impracticallity.

For Kodi etc. using the MXV Android box, our URC6440 can replicate the original remote's controls - we are awaiting a bluetooth USB dongle which is required for the MXV box itself, to enable such Bluetooth keyboards, but thought it would be nice to have buttons for letters and maybe a symbol/letter toggle button, perhaps on a extra spare JP1 device for the MXV. That way we could stick to using just one remote, which is already feasible by navigating the on screen keyboards with 6440's IR (which is just a bit of a palaver).

This is the nice little similar 7" bluetooth mouse & keyboard which works fine for Kodi on a Sony Tv, without the need for an MXV box because the Tv already has its own Android and Bluetooth
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N2JMFU4?redirect=true&ref_=ya_st_dp_summary
For that setup the Tv's own remote (or JP1 via an upgrade for the Sony Tv) does indeed do most of the Kodi controls but the context menu (button 'c') is also notably lacking. Unfortunately I have been unable to track down suitable OBCs for that and any letter keys, as above.

Last edited by tranx on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u have an IR remote that can send the Context Menu command? If so, have u tried learning it?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

And am I right that you're looking for keyboard commands (like A, B, C, etc)? If so, even if they exist, adding these to a regular remote is not really practical, but what might work is adding a regular wireless keyboard.

When an extender is in play it might not be as impractical as you think, especially on the remotes with a big E2 area. I was working on this for a short time, but then the smart TV was stolen, so I never did get around to actually using the solution to see if it was too cumbersom. Didn't get aroud to see if I could get away with all upper case or all lower case.....

I was thinking of multiplexing changing the numbers to letters like a phone,
1 .,_
2 abc
3 def
4 ghi
5 jkl
6 mno
7 pqrs
8 tuv
9 wxyz
0 BACKSPACE, LEFTCURSOR, RIGHTCURSOR
Long press of 0 and you had the numbers, Long press 1 and you had the first letter group, longPress 2 and you had the second letter group, longpress 3 and you had the third letter group and then any time you chose TV it would include changing to numbers in the device selection macro to get you on the number group....

I also toyed with the idea of using a toad tog to do the multiplexing. mdavej had posted a toadtog solution to another problem that used several bits of the toad tog register for state keeping,

And then of course I thought of just writing a keyboard protocol to make this even easier, but that would be a custom deal per remote/extender, so might be easier to program with IR/RMIR, but required a lot more programming and testing for something that might never be used.

I was working on 1, and had 2 in the works, when the TV was stolen from the clubhouse, so I gave up.

JP1 offers lots of possibilities!
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
do u have an IR remote that can send the Context Menu command? If so, have u tried learning it?

Edited
That is embarassing!!! there is a Context Menu button and early on I even assigned it, but then did not find out how to use it

Many Thanks Mr. Green

The MCV remote does not seem to send commands for letters or symbols, although the number keys are marked e.g. '1/@' and '2ABC' etc. and there is what seems to be a shift key marked '1/A/a' but I can't get that to do anything, tried holding it while pressing another button or pressing it once/twice/three times - so had hoped that there might be suitable OBCs using the NEC1 protocol which works most of the MCV controls via a Samsung upgrade, but could not find any
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: