JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can I use my Comcast 1167 for my Cox Cable Box?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klb311

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Can I use my Comcast 1167 for my Cox Cable Box? Reply with quote

I'm new to the site and have clicked around for a couple hours and can't find an answer. Sorry for the newbie question...

I have a Comcast 1167 remote ( http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=463 ). I moved to a location that Comcast doesn't cover so I had to go with Cox, but I brought my old Comcast remote along with me. The Cox remote is a URC-8820 version 1.2 ( http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=826 ). I'm used to the layout of my old Comcast remote, so I'd like to be able to use it to control the Cox cable box. Is this possible? The Comcast remote has the 6 pins in the battery box on the back and "JP1.3" is inscribed below the pins. The Cox remote has 5 female pin holes on the bottom. Thanks in advance!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible. You need to enter the correct setup code into the Comcast remote-- it will be 01376, 01877, or 01982.
However, it may be necessary to first unlock the cable setup code. Do that with the 982 command.
klb311

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it worked! For the most part... Most of the buttons work, but not the down button or exit button. Any way to get those working?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the down and exit functions work with the Cox remote? What setup code are you using? With that info we can probably get you going.
klb311

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The down and exit functions work with the Cox remote, but not the Comcast remote. I used setup code 01877. It was the only one that worked. The "last" button doesn't work either...would be nice if that worked. Thanks for your help!
klb311

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to hate me, but I was wrong...those buttons actually work. It's just an older remote so I had to mash on them a little harder.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably open the remote and clean the contacts on the board and contacts on the button sheet with alcohol to restore full function. Otherwise, a replacement remote is only about $5.
klb311

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that worked too! Thanks for all the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: