JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ER1 and Yamaha HT 5560

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: ER1 and Yamaha HT 5560 Reply with quote

I have a Scientific Atlanta ER1 remote (non learning, 3 device remote). I would like it to control SOME of the functions of a Yamaha HT 5560 system, especially the volume of the Yamaha reciever. However, I would like to still be able to control the volume of the TV directly when the Yamaha is turned off.
How should I proceed? I do have the original Yamaha remote control, but since the ER1 is non-learning, it is not much of a help..
Thanks,
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three device upgrades in the files section under audio for the HT-5550/5560 aka Home Theater in a Box (HTIB)

Install the device upgrade and see if it works.

If that works there are a number of ways to do what you want on a traditional OFA remote. I don't know the limitations of yours. Assuming you can do keymoves, something like the following:

KeyMove the TV ch+/- keys, numerals, and enter to those keys on your HTIB device.

Then in your HTIB device you can watch TV and control the volume with the Yamaha. You can also create a macro to set inputs turn on the TV then go to the HTIB device.

Im sure others here can give you better advice who have exerience programmming your remote. Keep in mind, for $20 you can get a remote like the 8811 that can control everything you have with fewer limitations.
venik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The ER1 apparently does NOT support keymoves. On the other hand, it is small, free (provided by the cable company), and extremely well designed, ergonomically, which to me meansL I can use it in the dark, without the need to look at the keys.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

venik wrote:
The ER1 apparently does NOT support keymoves.
Unfortunately, you are correct. It does not support keymoves, and macros will only execute on the three macro buttons. That makes it tough to get around volume punch-thru limitations. However, you can use the device combiner protocol if needed.
If you need to use any upgrades that require a protocol upgrade, make sure you use KM. RM does not yet support the protocol translations required by this remote.
venik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is what I did:
I opened KM, chose the SA ER1, and loaded the Yamaha 5550 file from the Yahoo group. I them copied the key codes from the front page of KM to the DEVICE tab of IR. However, it looks as if nothing has changed, so I am stuck. A little hand holding might go a long way...
Thanks,
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

venik wrote:
So here is what I did:
I opened KM, chose the SA ER1, and loaded the Yamaha 5550 file from the Yahoo group. I them copied the key codes from the front page of KM to the DEVICE tab of IR. However, it looks as if nothing has changed, so I am stuck.
You need to load the 5550 file into KM, and then select the SA ER1 remote. After doing that, you should look on KM's Buttons tab and make sure the functions you desire are assigned to the buttons you want.
Next, copy the Upgrade Code on KM's Setup tab, and paste that into IR's Add Devices dialog. Then, on IR's General tab, assign one of the device buttons to the Type and Setup code of the device upgrade (VCR and 1176 in this case).
venik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. DOing it in the right order made a difference. However, I am still missing something, since all I have accomplished is that now the VCR key on the ER1 turns power on and off to the Yamaha 5560, while I really wanted to get the ER1 to control the volume of the Yamaha, but still be able to control the TV volume... Sorry to be so dense.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the "VCR" (receiver) volume keys to work, you need to set the VPT (Volume Punch-Through) to VCR. You can do this on IR's General tab.

If this were a normal JP1 remote, I'd tell you to turn off VPT entirely, but that won't work on the ER1. When you turn off VPT on the ER1, it has the same effect as setting VPT to Cable. (In a normal remote, with VPT off, you could select VCR to control volume with your receiver, and select TV to control your TV.) Even if you were willing to use the Setup-993 command to change the VPT setting on the remote itself, the ER1 will only let you set it to TV or Cable.

Bottom line, there's no easy way with this remote to control both the TV and receiver volumes selectively. You might be able to build a combined upgrade for your TV & rcvr using device combiner, but even then you'd have to have the volume functions for one of them assigned to buttons other than vol+/- (and there are very few buttons on this remote that are not forced to work only in Cable mode).

Maybe Jon's suggestion to get an 8811 (or WalMart 8810w) wasn't such a bad thought... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: