JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cinema 7 with X1 works, sort of

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landolfi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Cinema 7 with X1 works, sort of Reply with quote

Hi all,

I downloaded an X1 device upgrade and added it to my Cinema 7 for my new Comcast X1 cable box. The upgrade works fine on my 8811 but on the 7800, the commands work but repeat indefinitely, so that the remote freezes and I have to remove the batteries to get it to stop. I've tried XMP types XMP-1 and XMP-2, both of which work with above restriction, and I also tried XMP-Slingbox protocol instead of XMP, which does not work. I also tried Final Frame toggle which seems to have no effect. Any other ideas?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you change the upgrade to URC-7800 before you copied it?
landolfi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using RM 2.03: What I did was open the upgrade within RM and import it, making sure to change the remote to 7800 when adding the new cable device. Is that what you mean, or is there something else I should have done?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember this problem with XMP, but no search pops it up. That was a problem in an old version of KM, perhaps the changes didn't make it into RM. In order to get help post a link to the x1 file that you imported and then post a link to the RMIR file that you are using on your 7800.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, might this be related?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11679&start=15
scroll down to Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:02 pm
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Liz, that is the post that describes the problem and solution. We have a couple of versions of xmp. The jp1 version uses a termination call that didn't exist in the older 7800. So the solution is to use XMP,{UEI) which is a bigger protocol. The jp1 version is used for the older remotes that don't have the protocol built in, but not quite as old as the 7800.

I can't believe this was posted 5 years ago. No wonder I was foggy on this.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
landolfi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color me very encouraged but still confused! I see from the other post that I need to use the UEI XMP protocol, but I'm not clear how to do that. In RM I see only XMP and XMP (Slingbox). I opened the linked Robman file and tried to use it as a cable device upgrade but I have the sense I am missing something. Do I need to edit protocol.ini? (One other good thing that came of this is I finally searched and found an old post about "writeRemote -1", that mystery was solved with a 981 reset.) So the question I have is, how do I select/add the UEI XMP protocol?

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, fired up the old PC to have a look.

Open protocols.ini and scroll down until you find this portion.
Code:

[XMP]
OldNames=XMP (UEI)
PID=01 6C

Change the name to something other than plain XMP, something like [XMP (UEI)] or [XMP (7800)]. Then it will show up in RM as an option, don't know why this was changed to not be an option.

Code:

[XMP (UEI)]
OldNames=XMP (UEI)
PID=01 6C

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
The jp1 version uses a termination call that didn't exist in the older 7800.

Do you recall exactly which call it is? This executor only uses $010A (test button held down) and $0158/$0145 (pause).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the test if repeat is required clobbered something, don't quite remember.
5 years ago when I helped on this, the only thing I saw was that the JP1 verision didn't work on the 7800 Cinema 7 but did work on remotes that were slightly newer.
If you look at the one that worked, we are jumping if NC, instead of the test of the register W6 = 0.

Other than the 7800 which was my first foray into dark territory here, I've pretty much specialize in the Motorola based remotes.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
landolfi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks to all, my beloved 7800 is back changing channels again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: