JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pioneer RS232>SR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tshephard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Pioneer RS232>SR Reply with quote

I want to send commands from PC into serial, and have them move along SR bus as though they were shared IR commands. (1 machine, DVL -91, does not have serial port, all have SR)
Can they somehow share the serial ports?

THX
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to this 15-year old laserdisc player?

And SR is Pioneer's proprietary cable connection to allow one Pioneer device to control another?
tshephard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, yes to both, thought a bit of shorthand would be common here!
tshephard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any help on my desire? I don't know the order/priority of the signal path, but they must connect. I'm hoping for a serial 'escape to bus' character, then use device code, button code or some such....
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea what the original post meant when I first read it, but thanks to UQ I get what TS is asking for now.

He has a Pioneer system where the units are all connected using "SR" cables (ie, a Pioneer proprietary thing where you can use one remote which communicates with the main unit, probably an amp or audio receiver, and that unit sends the remote commands to the other components via the SR cable. The other components probably don't have their own IR receivers). It sounds like he has hooked up the components to a PC using some sort of serial-to-SR cable and now he's trying to figure out how to send commands to the serial port in such a way that they will get converted into Pioneer's proprietary signal.

He mentioned a Pioneer DVL-91 laser-disc player that does not have an SR connection, so presumably he will be controlling that one with a remote directly.

How did I do, did I summarize it correctly?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned many pioneer equipment over the years, I find that it was combination both sr cable and rca cable that allowed control of one pioneer over the other. Just using sr cable didn't work alone.
tshephard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was less than clear.

I have a HTPC with Windows 7, a USB to serial port converter, and can communicate serially into either/both a Pioneer AV receiver (VSX-59TVi) and a Pioneer Blu-Ray disc player (BDP-23FD) to control that device, get responses, status and such just fine.

In addition, those 2 components and a Pioneer laserdisc player (DVL-91) are all connected by SR bus, an IR sharing scheme that works to pass remote commands among all 3 by mini-phone. It also works fine.

With the HTPC as my main content source, I am always 'in' that interface, a series of .bat files shortcuts is readily available by radio keyboard.

I believe there is a relationship between the serial commands, serial codes, and the device's interpreter for the remote commands. (In particular, the BDP serial codes sure look structured like device/button codes wrapped in a syntax - such as ' /A181AFFF/RU ' . Another command function is 99RJ.)

I'm hoping someone has discovered a syntax to allow me to put in serial command to one device that will become 'IR code' for another device that can then pass along the SR bus. I'm hoping/guessing/assuming that by design at least some serial commands just become IR commands, and the bidirectional 'take-off' for the SR bus is next, before the local commands get interpreted.

So in other words, can I jump onto the SR bus using the serial input?
tshephard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty close!

I loaded all the various files that might apply to my gear, and found:

BDP
frRM PrfxDv PrfxCmd Dvc OBC RS232 'code' from book
'0' 161 129 175 160 A1 81 AF AO syntax is /A181AFA0/RU
'up' 161 132 255 255 A1 84 FF FF
'down' 161 133 255 255 A1 85 FF FF
'left' 161 135 255 255 A1 87 FF FF
'right' 161 134 255 255 A1 86 FF FF
SAME CODES! Just in hex/dec

VSX various RM files
'chvl+' 165 66 7?
165 10
10 2
165 10

DVL my conversions
pwr 163 153 175 188 A3 99 AF BC
Trying same format into VSX, just in hex/dec, tried similar syntax, no effects.

(Foolish grin) Now, as it turns out, my SR 'loop' ended at my physically 'highest' device - the BDP, which was also the only device I knew the extended syntax for - and the one I did not realize had NO Control Out connector - it is, and was made to be, the end of a chain. So, I tried the extended syntax with the only other that had RS232 and an actual Control Out port, and could not send RS232 out through to the SR/IR Control Out port - presumably, at least, because it does not use the extended syntax form as the BDP.

So, so far I cannot do what I wanted, but if anyone else is reading, I would not rule it out as some device may have the extended syntax AND a Control Out port - maybe a SC-09TX or such.

Thanks for trying to understand my thoughts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: