JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote Master or RMIR? Confused Newbie...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FordAnglia

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Remote Master or RMIR? Confused Newbie... Reply with quote

Greetings,

By trial and error I have downloaded multiple versions of software to support a newly purchased "JPX FLASH" (aka IR Widget?)

I followed hints in another post that shows screen shots of RMIR, but the latest files (by date stamp) are called Remote Master. Are these simply versions of the same program? Completely different? Should only the latest (by date stamp) be considered?

RMIR has a tab called 'Remote" the others do not. Which is the better choice to support the IR Widget device? Does Remote Master support the hardware?

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I'm completely overwhelmed. Sorry if I missed an FAQ somewhere.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post a picture or link to your device. A JPX Flash cable and IR Widget are completely different things. If you don't have a remote, then you don't need Remote Master (aka RMIR or RM). If you truly have an IR Widget, then "IR Scope" is the appropriate software. I think "IR Scrutinizer" works too.

If you do have a remote which you intend to program, please post the make and model.
FordAnglia

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Please post a picture or link to your device.

If you do have a remote which you intend to program, please post the make and model.

RCA RCRP05BR 5 Device Cable Remote (Black)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not an IR Widget. Use the very latest Remote Master.

What is that other device that's just a circuit board?
FordAnglia

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
That's not an IR Widget. Use the very latest Remote Master.

What is that other device that's just a circuit board?

The small black PCB dongle is a "IR Remote Control Signal Recorder (IR Widget)" that I purchased from Tommy Tyler here:

https://www.tindie.com/products/TommyTyler/ir-widget-infrared-remote-control-signal-recorderanalyzer/
tranx

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick start here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15638&start=210&sid=fc7b377a951e435db8e31115a91933c0
FordAnglia

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
quick start here: <---->

Thanks for the link (reading it now). This takes me in a circle, back to my original question. (RMIR v RemoteMaster - missing "Remote" tab)

I'm following instructions that used RMIR with the JPX Dongle.
Here's the hang up:
" From the menu bar select "Remote" then "Download from Remote".
So far I haven't found that function in "RMIR v2.03 Alpha 28" (link you supplied above)

Thanks In Advance!

Another ToDo is find a way to plug the JPX connector into the remote - without hacking up the remote's plastics. Working on a hardware adapter.
So far I haven't hooked the JPX to the remote control's port.

Screen shots of two different recent installs:

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to use RMIR, not RM, from v2.03 build 4. Both RMIR and RM are applications run from the same program, RemoteMaster.jar. If you have followed the installation instructions, you should have two shortcuts, one to open RMIR, the other to open RM. Get rid of v2.00, it is ancient.
FordAnglia

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
You want to use RMIR, not RM, from v2.03 build 4. Both RMIR and RM are applications run from the same program, RemoteMaster.jar. If you have followed the installation instructions, you should have two shortcuts, one to open RMIR, the other to open RM. Get rid of v2.00, it is ancient.

Thanks! Now using RemoteMaster.jar and V2.00 removed.
Will work on the JPX to RCA port hardware adapter next.
MrMoody

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you take the strain relief clip off of the plug without it falling apart?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FordAnglia wrote:
Will work on the JPX to RCA port hardware adapter next.

I am sorry to see that TxSat's JP1.x interface leads are supplied with the (old) large 6-pin connector which, I think, will fit hardly any recent UEI remotes. Even worse, they do not mention this in their web display and they show pictures only of the USB end. You have to look at their JP1 Accessories section to see that they sell separately a JP1 Socket Extension to make their interface lead fit newer remotes with the smaller opening. This is very shoddy marketing, especially as they say their products are Tommy Tyler's designs, and until Tommy was unceremoniously sacked from this forum, he had not sold interface leads with the larger connector for a good number of years.

I am very pleased that you have found Tommy's own website through which he still sells IR Widgets. It is sad that he no longer sells his own JP1 EEPROM and JP1.x Flash interfaces, as you would have been saved a lot of bother over the 6-pin connector. BTW the software you need for the IR Widget is IRScope, as mentioned by mdavej. This is completely independent of RM/RMIR (RemoteMaster) and version 2.01a is the latest one, even though it dates from 2012.
FordAnglia

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMoody wrote:
Can you take the strain relief clip off of the plug without it falling apart?

Good point! Yes, removing the outer plastic clip allows the connector to fit my remote (a common type) Should hold up well if not abused!

The top cap, holding the ribbon cable in place over the contacts, has clips, so it won't easily come off.

Saved me some hacking time, thanks for the suggestion!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: