JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discrete code workarounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rick12345678

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Discrete code workarounds Reply with quote

After reading and reading and reading the posts here and much of the documentation on the Yahoo Groups site, I've decided to try my hand at reprogramming my remote (8810w). I'm waiting on my JP1 cable, and in the meantime, rereading and rereading and rereading what I can.

Can anyone give me or point me to any workarounds for devices that don't have discrete codes?

I've found and will be using a couple of them:

1) using Play|Stop for a discrete on and Play|Power for a discrete off, if your VCR or DVD turns on with a Play command

2) using a channel command to reset my TV's video input, which will only toggle between 3 available modes, ie CH+ for input 1, CH+|Video for input 2 and CH+|Video|Video for input 3

I'd like to know if anyone has come up with any others.

I know I could use TOADTog to accomplish this, but I'm really concerned with things getting out-of-sync because of others (my tech-naive wife) using the remote. She already thinks I'm weird for doing this, and if it doesn't work the right way every time, I'll never hear the end of it.

Thanks for all you guys do for us newbies!

-rick12345678
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Discrete code workarounds Reply with quote

rick12345678 wrote:
I'd like to know if anyone has come up with any others.

There's always the old fashioned way: get off the couch and press the big button on the front of the device! Shocked

Assuming your devices will work with 1 or 2 above, I don't think there are any other legitimate options, other than ToadTog.

Keeping things in sync with TT isn't that difficult as long as you provide a fail-safe way of recovery AND spend a little time training the Mrs. Wink

Besides, she'll really appreciate having one-button control when (not if) you setup the extender on the 8810w! 8)

Unfortunately, she probably won't ever appreciate the amount of time you spend programming the remote! Sad
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick12345678,

You might also tell us the brands/device that you are trying to control. One of us may have some more specific ideas. For example, many receivers will turn on from off when a discrete input command is issued. Many European TV's will turn on with a numeral command or Program/Channel+.
cougar97201

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Discrete code workarounds Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, she probably won't ever appreciate the amount of time you spend programming the remote! Sad

i found dedicating a macro to turn on everything for watching her
favorite station (lifetime in my case) worked wonders Wink
mikemcgo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My VCR (Mitsubishi) has discrete On/Off codes, but comes on with TV/VCR set to TV. DiscreteOn+TV/VCR works if it was off, but sets it back to TV if it was already on and at VCR. A workaround I found was to use the QuickProgram button (used to enter VCR+ numbers for recording), then Menu twice to back out of it. After that sequence the VCR is on and set to VCR (as long as the RF Convertor option is set to On in the menus). Play/Stop also does this if there is a tape in the machine, but that's not always the case.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick1->8....I am in almost the identical position as you. I also have a 8810 and have managed, after spending much time reading & help from Rob & Jon, to get all devices up & working, but still need to get a few discretes to make my macros work 100% of the time.
It looks like I need to make time to get to know TT.
I will be looking to make discretes for:
1. DVD-Toshiba SD-1300 PowerOff. Play/Power workaround is temperamental & does not work all the time....is time delay the likely culprit ? PowerOn discrete found & works OK
2. HD box : DGTEC DH-200A...PowerOn/PowerOff
3. VCR Sony SLV-725 : InputSelect toggles thru Line1/Line2/Tuner atm...grrr. Discretes for PowerOn/Off work OK but not Line1/Line2. http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_vcr.htm

Any help/pointers greatly appreciated before I tackle the beast.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will be looking to make discretes for:
1. DVD-Toshiba SD-1300 PowerOff. Play/Power workaround is temperamental & does not work all the time....is time delay the likely culprit ? PowerOn discrete found & works OK

Try spreading out the command. I only turn all equipment off in a master Off macro. The DVD consumes very little power, so put a DVD-play command early in your Power off macro and maybe a stop to keep the disc from spinning and the power toggle near the end. It also may be that it needs to be closer together. I have a Toshiba DVD (different model) and use an extender that executes macros considerably faster than un-extended remotes, and I execute thenm in sequence and have never had it fail On or Off

Quote:
2. HD box : DGTEC DH-200A...PowerOn/PowerOff.

EFC 171 and 101 respectively (assuming you used the device upgrade in the files.)

Quote:
3. VCR Sony SLV-725 : InputSelect toggles thru Line1/Line2/Tuner atm...grrr. Discretes for PowerOn/Off work OK but not Line1/Line2.

It should be EFC 039 and 041 respectively. I had a Sony VCR where only Line 1 worked so Line 2 is a macro for Line 1 |Video Toggle. If neither works does the Tuner command or Ch+ take it tuner mode? I so Tuner(or Ch+)|Video Toggle is Video 1 etc.

You must live in Australia, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: