JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Xsight Color user questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: New Xsight Color user questions Reply with quote

Thanks to MDaveJ on Remote Central I ordered the Xsight Color. I followed his links being on Win 8.1 did everything without issue updated FW loaded my devices and created a couple activities via EZ-RC and started playing with RMIR. I also came from a Pronto 6000 so if I say something relating to Pronto you know why.

1. On an activity on EZ-RC am I missing something or will it only allow 4 button presses per activity/macro? I see in RMIR I could add more.

2. When I loaded my devices (all from EZ-RC) it didn't have pages/screens with all the functions like I had created on the Pronto. Just basic inputs for the most part. Are the buttons next to the screen the soft buttons? The TV had 3 pages and the Sony AVR had one. I want to use the arrow keys and create all the deep menu functions so I don't have to break out the original remotes. I am just wondering why when on EZ-RC you choose your device it doesn't load all that.

3. What is the difference between RMIR and RM. I know dumb question but I am not getting it. I know they are different just trying to understand the different functions.

The remote looks brand new but the rubber was sticky. I had this happen on a MS BT mouse. I scrubbed it with alcohol and all was well. Someone here suggested Talcum powder. I tried that with no luck. I figured I would try safest method first. Just like the mouse, alcohol did the trick.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

1. I haven't run into any limit like that on EZ-RC. Some of mine have 20 steps. If you go to Advanced - Modify Activities (or something to that effect), you can add as many steps as you want. I only use EZ-RC when people ask questions about it, so I don't remember the details.

2. Try a different but related model. Some have many, many pages. But the best solution is to use RMIR if you want every possible command.

3. No difference as far as you're concerned. But here's a little history lesson to clear it up. When JP1 was born, we used a program called IR to load/save entire remote configs and a spreadsheet called KM (Keymap Master) to edit individual devices. Later, RM (Remote Master) was created to replace KM. And finally IR's old functionality was added to it as RMIR. Now RMIR has all of IR's functionality and includes RM. So technically RMIR is the remote editor (all devices, macros, etc.) and RM is the individual device editor, but both are integrated into RMIR.

Bottom line: RMIR does it all, and launches RM (the device editor) as needed.

Good to know about the alcohol trick. Thanks
nylaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Dave. In one day after programming the batts are almost dead. I moved so I am having charger issues. One I can't find the power cord and it's probably with my Maha 9000 I can't find either so using primaries for now.

I looked at the remote again in RMIR and I am slowly learning. What I want to do is put the menu options on the soft buttons with pages. So I press the right arrow and it takes me to the next page with more functions. Is this possible or do I have to use the menu button with the dial pad? Also my BR/DVD input is red and not listed on the soft buttons. Is that because that input is being used by my BR player?

I unpacked a no longer used Denon Atkis remote that also had sticky rubber. Alcohol cleaned it up as well. Use a throw away microfiber as the rubber coloring will bleed into the towel.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Color does go thru batteries quickly, especially when doing a lot of programming.

Put anything you want on the soft buttons, paging with the buttons at the bottom of the image below:

You can add any function to any button, hard or soft, so if any are missing, just add them.
nylaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured it out. Soft buttons SOFT7 through SOFT1E are what I want and the paging buttons will work automatically if those buttons are populated? So SOFT7 is the same as SOFT1 but on the next page correct?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. But you don't have to worry about any of that. Just use the layout tab and drag and drop. What you see is what you get.
nylaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now I get it. The reason I was asking all those questions is I didn't see the page buttons at the top. I was looking for them under the soft buttons as they are on the remote. Now it all makes sense. This really should be much easier and faster then EZ-RC. New charger gets here Thursday. Thanks again!
nylaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some more questions.

1. I found a Sony OBC code of 113 for my receivers Bluetooth. After I input it into RMIR I get an error message that the device needs an an upgrade protocol and it is not supported so it cancels the edit. I put it in the function area. What am I doing wrong?

2. 08 22 0d 00 00 F3 D6 I found this raw code for my Samsung TV for a Netflix discrete and tried to use the raw import. I don't think I am doing it right. In the meantime I am looking for an OBC code for it but I would like to learn how to do the raw import.

3. I am doing something wrong on the activities Power macro Editor. Some delays are .03 I was trying to add delays but they don't hold and keep reverting back to .03. The only way I was able to do it was I had to create a new step with the delay and or hold, insert that then delete the step with .03 I am sure I must be missing something.

The problem I am trying to fix is the rec. comes on with the proper input. TV comes on and changes the input on the receiver. I added another input change to the macro on the receiver but it still changes back after that. It does that with the original remotes so it's not in my macro. I know I can fix it but I have to play with the delays so the receiver has the last command.

I switched the order and have the TV come on first so I want to increase the receiver delay hoping this will fix it.

4. On the activity screen in button groups, how do I add a button? In other words under Watch TV, once the macro finishes most of the buttons control the cable box. I wanted one button, the list button to control the TV's smarthub. I couldn't figure this out. My workaround was to go into the cable box device editor and map the list button to the TV's smarthub but I think I should be able to add this button on the activities page?

5. I tried learning a command for my Samsung's TV smarthub. The remote wouldn't learn it. I did find an OBC code and that worked. I was wondering why the remote couldn't learn it?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I think you have to use a Sony combo protocol. Just start with the existing device and add your OBC and other details.

2. Sorry, I have no idea what that means. If it's short pronto, decode it with IR Scrutinizer then add that data to an existing Samsung upgrade.

3. 0.1 is the minimum possible delay. Anything less won't work.

4. That's the way you have to do it. Activity ends on the LCD assigned device. Add more commands to that device.

5. Aim at the bottom of the Xsight, not the top and make sure the remote is capable of sending IR.
nylaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
1. I think you have to use a Sony combo protocol. Just start with the existing device and add your OBC and other details.

I am using the Sony combo 12/15/20 Anything else you can think of?

2. Sorry, I have no idea what that means. If it's short pronto, decode it with IR Scrutinizer then add that data to an existing Samsung upgrade.

I did find a working discrete and an icon for the lcd panel. It works great so this is solved.

3. 0.1 is the minimum possible delay. Anything less won't work.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this. 0.3 was the default. I was actually trying to make them longer. I must not be saving it right. Can you just walk me through the steps? All I want to do is keep the same step. increase the delay and save it.

I did some playing with the TV and the AVR. I turned the TV on first waited a good while, turned the AVR on and no matter what, the AVR switches to the wrong input after being on the correct one for a number of seconds. I saw other posters complain of this too on the AVR forum. It's a Sony STR-DN850. Once I do the final switch back it's fine but this is a PITA. What is the longest delay I can put in? I might need a 10 second delay.

4. That's the way you have to do it. Activity ends on the LCD assigned device. Add more commands to that device.

Got it thanks.

5. Aim at the bottom of the Xsight, not the top and make sure the remote is capable of sending IR.

Yes, I did figure out it was at the bottom. lol It had no problem learning codes from the cable remote. I needed page up page down for the guide. EZ-RC had the cable box but for some reason those codes weren't included.

I am sure the Samsung Remote is IR and working as it controls the TV. I aimed it in the same place as the cable remote and it always failed on the Smarthub button. I didn't try any other commands. I also noticed the EZ-RC didn't have my exact TV model so I choose the closet one and the inputs do not work so I am going to look for another model number maybe with a smaller screen. I think I was fixated on finding one with the same screen size now realizing that was probably not the best approach.

Lastly my overall impressions. I am not crazy about this remote. The buttons are small, hard plastic and even though it's backlit, my 52 Y.O. eyes have trouble reading the smaller buttons. Battery life absolutely sucks on this. I am making good use of my new charger and Enelopes. I suspect this is the main reason why this remote is discontinued. For $20 it's a great buy and a fun learning process. Is there another remote you can recommend? I realize I like the bigger rubberized buttons. I still want to keep and play with this, but I do want to test something else out.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Samsung remote could be RF/Bluetooth, hence unlearnable. Can't think of any other reason the learns would fail.

We probably have complete device upgrades for all your equipment already, so no need to learn anything.

I agree with your other points. Buttons are hard and small, and battery life is terrible. Took me years to get used to it actually. I bought my first Xsight Color 5 years ago when the price was $150 and promptly sold it. But for $20, I was able to adapt.

The Xsight Touch is better (thinner, much better battery life - 3-4 weeks between charges), but is quite a bit more expensive and has exactly the same button sizes and layout.

Xsight models are the only JP1 remotes with a useful LCD. Other nice JP1 remotes with no LCD are the Inteset INT-422 and OARUSB04G.
nylaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas on the Sony issue? My AVR isn't listed in the file section. My AVR doesn't have an iPhone input but for some reason the device listing from EZ-RC does. Mine has a BT but that isn't there and the iphone code doesn't work for the BT even though I am using an iPhone. I found a BT discrete code but when I put in it gave the error described previously. If I can get that code to work the AVR will be done. You might have missed it but I am running the Sony combo.

I did dload a Samsung TV device upgrade so I will see if those inputs work on mine because it's a different model. I am not worried as I have seen many discretes for the Samsung so I am sure I will find a set that works.

Do you ever use your original remotes for anything? I just find some things easier to do but the idea was to put them away. You press menu and realize you are on watch TV but the menu is for the cablebox but you want the TV menu so you have to scroll through the lcd. It's just easier to pick up the original remote and hit one button. I know it takes time to go through all the scenarios to get it just right and when you think you did something else unforeseen comes up. lol

Totally unrelated but do you use Plex Media Server by any chance?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need some model numbers to be of any more help. Also post your RMIR file for me to look at.

I haven't used an original remote in 15 years. In your example, I would press Devices - TV then the Menu button. If I did that kind of thing often, I'd add the command to the LCD. Still faster than digging the TV remote out of a drawer.

I've used Plex in the recent past, but not currently.
nylaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony model is STR-DN850 the BT code is OBC=113 that I can't seem to add on the combo setting.

I will post a link to the upload once I read the instructions. Also I need to learn how to change the delays and save them. I still haven't gotten that to work other then adding a new button press with the delay I want and deleting the same button press with the shorter delay. I thought I can just edit the delay and save it?

I think my Plex issue maybe with the files or Samsungs DNLA function. I was watching a downloaded movie and had to pause it. Once I came back it said to reconnect to the network. Basically I had to restart the movie. Once I did there was no FF. After some reading I don't think it's a Plex issue. 32 minutes into a movie then starting over with no FF kind of ruins the experience.
nylaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13334
Here is the file
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: