JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Request – non interruptible pause option for JP1.3 Combined

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeajea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Request – non interruptible pause option for JP1.3 Combined Reply with quote

I use a short key press of a device key to switch all the keysets except volume to the device.

A long key sets the keysets, powers on the device and any other devices needed for the “activity” such as the TV, and sets the correct input on the TV, AVR and HDMI switch.

My TV requires a delay after power on of about 9.5 seconds before you can
select an input. I use a TV descrete on toadtog that only calls the pause on
an off to on transition. This gets called from each device key LKP.

The problem is that if the device key is held down too long the pause is killed and the TV input select fails.Sad

Because the Insiginia remote uses the same LED for all devices switching to other devices with short pauses workaround I tried in this here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14496

doesn’t help

I think the clean solution would be the ability select non interruptible pause from the RMIR general other settings.

Another possibility is including non-interruptible pause upgrade(s) with the
extenders (I don’t know if a single pause upgrade would work for all of the extenders).

My current kludge is five 0.1 second pauses before the real 9.5 second
pause.

I also don’t know why/when an interruptible pause needed.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a very simple solution for this scenario. Put the power and input commands at the beginning and at the end of your macro. No toadtogs required. If the TV is already on, all the commands run right away. If it's off, they run right away, and are ignored of course, but also run again after the pause. You can either wait or interrupt in that case.

If your devices have HDMI-CEC capability, you could simply turn on your sources and let them change the TV inputs. In my current system, I use only a single TV input and do all other switching with other devices, so I don't need any delays.
jeajea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a third kludge for when the TV is off is to hit the device key once which
turns on the TV and hit the same device key again after the TV is on
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another kludge - workaround. I program a master power switch as a toggle for the whole system. It turns on only the most used devices: TV, receiver, cable box it turns off all devices in the system. So, when my wife turns on the system, devices will be at the same inputs that they were when the system was powered off. After the system is powered on about 95% of the time that is what we wanted. The rest of the time we just need to then hit an "activity" button and since things are powered on, all works.

This only works for us, because our usual viewing habits end the day with cable and start the day with cable. YMMV
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing some work on the extenders since I've had a bit of time and have an idea

I can include in the documentation a way to patch out the interruptible pause by changing one op code from a JRNC to a JR. I can give that location in the memory for all of the remotes and you would change one hex byte in the raw data.

Would that be an acceptable way to do it?

I'd love to have an RDF feature that would allow me to select an "On" or "Off" features in the general tab that would load one hex value or another, that'd be the elegant way to deal with it but I don't think such a thing exists.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclemiltie, it's so good you dropped by Smile

I've just started playing with your 3.02 extender on Atlas OCAP 1056.
Related to things in this thread:
1. Yes, we do need a pause that won't be interrupted, and if it requires changing a byte, so be it.Releasing a key during pause in a macro effectively kills a macro or short side of LKP if pause is in the sequence of the short side. Long side works 'cause you're holding it anyway. That's what I've seen in my short use.
2. I also tried using the Macro Delay feature to see how it works. Various values between 1 and 255 did nothing.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly also take the interruptible pause out of the extender as well. I've never used it so it's a don't care to me

You actually have to change two bytes, that documentation is in the readme now for the 3.03 version that I'm building. The only difference is that it will support the Interest 422 if I can get my hands on one.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and yea, it's been a while. Still very busy but trying to catch back up.
jeajea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A two byte patch would work for me,

A more elegant approach would be to look for a transition from no buttons pressed to a button pressed.
However, I don’t know if this is practical in an extender.

I use a toadtog to track the power state of the TV and the pause is only
used in power off to power on (no pause in the already on side of the force on toad tog)
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way that the routine that I use to determine if a key is pressed passes that state back is through the "C" (Carry) bit i the status register so the test is to test the C (JRNC instruction) to terminate delaying again.

The patch will be to install a NOP (op-code FF) for both the JRC and for the offset for the jump, both of which are one byte.

But interestingly enough Graham has agreed to an enhancement in RMIR in a coming version that will allow me to do the patch for you through the RDF. There will be a UI element on the general tab that will be something l ike "Interruptible pause" with a state on or off and the tools will do the work. Prior to this the only things I could do was individual bits.

I can also use this in the extender to change the behavior of presses of the shift key to (1) light the LED until the next key is pressed (2) blink the LED on shift or (3) don't blink the LED on shift (the current default behavior)

I'm looking forward to this new version!
jeajea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound great Smile
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded V3.03 of the extender that implements this. It requires the new beta of RMIR 2.3 to make it work though
jeajea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: