JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RM-IR says "No remotes found!"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petehouk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: RM-IR says "No remotes found!" Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am just getting started with JP1 and I keep getting "No remotes found!" from RM-IR. Am I doing something wrong here?

I bought this cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121575083892?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I followed the instructions for RM-IR on the "Just how easy is it" page
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version#Installing_RM-IR_and_preparing_it_for_use

I have the cable hooked up to COM1 on my laptop and the six pin connector on my RCA RCRP05BR.

At this point I gather that I should be able to use the "download from attached remote" function. But it doesn't work.

I tried the cable in both orientations on the 6 pin.
I tried taking the batteries out and putting them back in.

Do I need to set up my COM port? I couldn't find anything about setting up baud rate and parity and all that other stuff that usually trips me up when I am using a serial device. (9600, 8, none, 1, none, in case anyone is wondering.)

This remote has been banging around my living room for a few years. All of the features still work fine but this is the first time I've tried to download anything from it.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR sets up the COM port parameters each time it attempts to read or write to the remote, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The first thing to check in RMIR is Help\About. In the Interfaces section, you should see JP1.X Serial version 0.20 (or older version if you're using 2.02a instead of 2.03 Alpha28). If JP1.X Serial isn't available to RMIR, it will give a "No Remotes Found" message. That probably is a result of an incorrect setup of RMIR.

Next, RMIR writes a file called RMaster.err each time it runs. This file probably resided in the same directory as remotemaster.jar. After a download fails, copy the rmaster.err file and upload it here to the diagnosis Area of the File Section, and post a link to it in this thread.
petehouk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help|About says JP1.x serial interface version 0.19.

Here's a link to the rmaster.err file.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13228

Thanks!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suspicious about your cable. It says it is a JP1.1/1.2/1.3 serial cable. There is no such thing. There are JP1.1/1.2 cables and JP1.2/1.3 cables, but JP1.1 and JP1.3 use something (I'm not a hardware expert and can't remember what it is) in different ways. JP1.2 works with either, hence the two possibilities. Yours is a JP1.3 remote and so your cable may actually be a JP1.1/1.2 one.

I think you can convert a JP1.1/1.2 cable to be a JP1.2/1.3 one by disconnecting the wire to one of the pins of the 6-pin connector, but someone else will have to give you details.
jeajea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread indicates you need to cut the wire going to pin 5 of the remote (or remove the remotes pin 5).

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9042

If you cut it at least three inches from the remote connecter it is possible to reconnect it.
petehouk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That appears to be the problem. Plus, when I opened the connector to see if wire 5 was attached to the board (it was) I found that the solder for wire 6 had broken off. I clipped wire 5 and clamped wire 6 in place on the board and I was able to download from the remote. Don't think I can solder that back on though.

Maybe the seller will come through for me and send me a new cable. But right now I am starting to feel a little bit like when Uncle Rico tried to buy a time machine on eBay. Oh well I've wasted $5 in stupider ways than this.
petehouk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out it wasn't a waste after all. The ebay seller was cool about sending me a new cable. I clipped the wire to pin 5 and now it works properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: