JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote Master: downloaded new version: no maps or rdfs.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phb1342

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Remote Master: downloaded new version: no maps or rdfs.? Reply with quote

I downloaded from Sourceforge, even though the jp1 Software Forum sub did not give the correct link. It links back to the Files Section, which links back to the discussion...????

So I went to SF and found it, downloaded, made folder jp1, copied zip to there and expanded. But no maps or rdfs were found and I don't see any in the folder structure.

What did I do wrong...?

thanks
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did nothing wrong. Just incomplete.
If you want to use v2.02:
RDFs and Maps are separate files in the file section here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=142
Download, unzip both files are old version 1.32. They are no longer maintained and aren't up to date.
RMIR is at sourceforge, you already have that.
Just tell it where you placed those two directories, likely in \JP1.

But, there's a newer, better, unified all-in-one package: RM, RMIR, RDFs, Maps.
It's a much improved version to 2.02.
It's in Alpha state and current build is 16. Not even beta. But it's good and stable as a final release of any product.
It's too bad that Graham isn't developing the next Windows or the next antivirus Smile They should all learn the lessons here.

Read at least the first post in this announcement:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15900
Short description:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13101
Here the download is a link to Sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RMIRDevelopment/
where you can download the new Alpha version.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha28 is available as an update or as a complete package including RDFs, etc. Unfortunately, SourceForge doesn't allow enough space to see the complete file name. Hover the mouse over the 4 possibilities, and select
Code:
RemoteMaster.v2.03Alpha28build16....  18.2 MB

Don't select
Code:
RemoteMasterUpdate.v2.03Alpha28build16... 2.8MB
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG, good warning. But I see the entire filenames in both Opera and SeaMonkey even if I narrow the browser window a lot. What browser do you speak of? Just curious.
phb1342

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Alpha28 is available as an update or as a complete package including RDFs, etc. Unfortunately, SourceForge doesn't allow enough space to see the complete file name. Hover the mouse over the 4 possibilities, and select
Code:
RemoteMaster.v2.03Alpha28build16....  18.2 MB

Don't select
Code:
RemoteMasterUpdate.v2.03Alpha28build16... 2.8MB

a ha! That file is not too easy to find on the SF without the link from above.

Thanks! It extracted fine into that same folder and starts up without complaint. Will "play" tomorrow. ( new computer I built to be a media server and related duties; Win8.1)
phb1342

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
You did nothing wrong. Just incomplete.
If you want to use v2.02:
RDFs and Maps are separate files in the file section here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=142
Download, unzip both files are old version 1.32. They are no longer maintained and aren't up to date.
RMIR is at sourceforge, you already have that.
Just tell it where you placed those two directories, likely in \JP1.

But, there's a newer, better, unified all-in-one package: RM, RMIR, RDFs, Maps.
It's a much improved version to 2.02.
It's in Alpha state and current build is 16. Not even beta. But it's good and stable as a final release of any product.
It's too bad that Graham isn't developing the next Windows or the next antivirus Smile They should all learn the lessons here.

Read at least the first post in this announcement:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15900
Short description:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13101
Here the download is a link to Sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RMIRDevelopment/
where you can download the new Alpha version.

Thank you Liz -- that last link is to the file I needed. Not easy to find and I seemed to be lured by the other "download here" link on SF. But I seem stymied by the cross links on this site: ?? Circular reference links?? or was I too distracted by something?

Downloaded, extracted and opened without complaint.

thanks
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
3FG, good warning. But I see the entire filenames in both Opera and SeaMonkey even if I narrow the browser window a lot. What browser do you speak of? Just curious.
Chrome or Internet Explorer. The browser window is much wider than the displayed content. If I make the browser window vary narrow, it just puts in a horizontal scroll bar. Basically the width of the displayed content is narrow and stays the same width regardless of browser window size.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
Not easy to find and I seemed to be lured by the other "download here" link on SF. But I seem stymied by the cross links on this site: ?? Circular reference links?? or was I too distracted by something?

No, not your fault. Unfortunately the "Looking for the latest version?" link on SourceForge links to the latest "official" release, v2.02a. Version 2.03 has been in development for over two years. It has been through over 100 "Alpha" versions, so you can see that it has been changing on something like a weekly basis. It will become an "official" version when a month or so goes by without some bug fix or new feature being added, but in the meantime it is still posted as a development version. I try to publicise it in various threads, and v2.03 Alpha 28 even has its own announcement thread so I had hoped it was not too hard to find.

We are aware that there are many posts and links which give the impression that they are giving up-to-date information when in reality they are years out of date. We hope to do some tidying up of this mess in the near future, but we are all volunteers doing this as a hobby, and tidying up is time-consuming and not the most interesting thing to do, so for the time being, please excuse the delay.

3FG wrote:
Unfortunately, SourceForge doesn't allow enough space to see the complete file name. ... Chrome or Internet Explorer. The browser window is much wider than the displayed content. If I make the browser window vary narrow, it just puts in a horizontal scroll bar. Basically the width of the displayed content is narrow and stays the same width regardless of browser window size.

This is weird. Not only do I see the entire filename in Internet Explorer 11, but there is so much space for the filename that I would see in full even one twice as long. Narrowing the browser window doesn't change this - as you say, it just puts in a horizontal scroll bar.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work, and I just tried Chrome, Explorer 11 (Win7 64bit), and a quite old version of Firefox on an XP computer. They all have the same appearance. Here is the display file name for both update versions:
Code:
RemoteMasterUpdate.v2.03Alpha28
I do have advertisements and "Recommended Projects displayed to the right, but even that doesn't fill the width of the window.
The only reason to bring this issue up is that it could be confusing to any other users who see the same shortened file names
phb1342

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: I sheepishly admit my goof......... Reply with quote

sometime yesterday when I was looking to add IR to my new media server it 'dawned' on me why I had a recent problem finding the RMIR latest file on this site: I was not logged in ! so, the Download button did not appear on the file page, and everytime I clicked around to find the file I wound up in the same place.

I have gotten complacent with the ability to automatically log in to the various sites I use, and didn't take note of the fact that I wasn't.

As usual, the friendly users and experts bailed me out; thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: