JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ARRX12G Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly fine. I have 2 for my AVR, one for each Zone. Setup code is arbitrary. Just needs to be unique for that device type, as you did.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave. So now there is a problem which may have resulted from doing the clone, though I'm not sure.

After loading this new file into the remote, the AVR device works fine. But, the TV device does not work, and in fact it semi-locks up the remote: when I select the TV device, the first soft button is highlighted, but the select button (checkmark) does not activate it, and the arrow keys do not move the soft-button highlight. Further, the red Home button does nothing; it does not go to previous screen when pressed, nor does it go to the home screen when held down. Also, the Activities do not work.

Thankfully, the Devices button does go to the device list, from where I can go to the home screen or select another device.

And, the new Tuner device locks up the remote in exactly the same way as the TV device.

Examining my file, all of the macros have become messed up, including the Activity macros. They each still contain the same number of steps, and in each step the device is correct, but in each step the function within that device is wrong, and seemingly random. Since I haven't been referring frequently to the Macros and Activities tab, I don't know exactly when this corruption occurred.

There doesn't appear to be anything else amiss with the file. So, I corrected all the macros, and loaded the file back to the remote, but it is still displaying the same behaviour.

Next, I'll try removing the cloned Tuner device, or reverted to an earlier version before the clone, etc. But I thought I'd throw this out there for your consideration.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's happened to me before when I made big changes to some device. I've never been able to pin down exactly where things go wrong.

I'd revert to an earlier version. May be safer to edit the AVR, change the setup code, save to a new file, cancel (not OK). Then click New, call it Tuner, and Open your saved file, ok.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I managed to completely lock up the remote! Twice! The screen went solid purple, and the device was completely frozen; needed to remove a battery to reset.

But, I now know the reason why! In the Device Upgrade Editor window, on the Buttons tab, are listed all of the remote's hard buttons and soft buttons. In the latter, are listed 24 soft buttons labeled Soft1, Soft2..., then Discrete On and Discrete Off, then another 12 soft buttons labeled User1, User2... And, in several devices (TV, AVR, Tuner), I had assigned functions to some of those last 12 soft buttons, the User buttons.

So on the remote, in those devices, if I tried to access any of those functions assigned to the User buttons (not even to perform the function, but simply to highlight the button), it immediately caused the solid lock up mentioned above. I did it once by scrolling down the list of soft buttons until reaching the first User button, and once by scrolling up from the top most button to the bottom of the list.

Being new to this remote and this software, I don't know the reason for the existence of those bottom twelve soft buttons in the edit window. I previously found out that this remote can only learn twelve soft buttons on a given device--perhaps there is a relationship? Or perhaps those twelve buttons are useful by some other remote? In any case, it might helpful if the software, having detected the remote (in the drop-down box at the top), could hide those twelve buttons when they are not useful; or at the least, could provide a message warning that those buttons are not useful by all remotes, and may cause problems.

Thankfully, I was able to recover. I manually edited the .rmir file, and simply deleted those lines corresponding to functions which had been assigned to that group of twelve buttons [they are those lines in the device beginning Button.cX=, where X is 0 through B?]. Then I factory reset the remote, loaded the file, and all was good; even the macros and activities were intact.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you were able to recover. I wondered what User1, 2, etc. were. Maybe Graham or 3FG can shed some light on what they're supposed to do (besides lock up the remote). My only guess is they're maybe intended for a different model and ended up in the 12G RDF by mistake? If it is a mistake, then they should be removed from the RDF.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a mistake. I think 3FG invented the name. Offhand I can't remember where they come in, but I am very surprised to hear that they lock up the remote.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks guys. I leave that in your capable hands.

Another question, regarding Activities: in the available actions (applies to other macros as well), there are actions to select the Activities, Favorites, and Devices buttons, to move the LCD cursor Up/Down, and press the LCD OK and Cancel buttons. Do these work as one would imagine?

For example, in my activity to watch the first device, I tried ending the macro with the steps:
Devices
LCDOK
with the intent that after powering up the correct devices and selecting the correct inputs, that the macro would end by selecting the first device so it would be immediately available, without having to select the device manually. And in other watch activities the same, but with an additional appropriate number of LCDDown steps to select the correct device.

But, it doesn't work. Every watch activity always ends with the LCD showing: Assist?

Is there some way to turn off that "Assist?", and to have the macros select the devices as intended?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Activity Group assignments at the bottom to set the final device (i.e., for TV, pick TV for all). You can also mix things up so you get volume punch through, among other things.

I've never tried those special buttons. I'll take a look this weekend.

Assist shouldn't show if you leave all the Assists blank. Mine never shows, but I can't remember how I did it. If blanks don't work, then it could be a setting on the remote itself or something in EZ-RC we haven't implemented yet. That's another thing I can check this weekend.

Last edited by mdavej on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Qwerky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Dave. Leaving the Assists fields blank didn't do it in my case--there is still the "Assist?" at the top of the LCD, which I would love to get rid of.

Still can't get the LCD buttons to work in the macros, but the Activity Group assignments does seem to help. I guess the difference between using those, versus the LCD buttons to go to the device, is that the label at the top of the LCD says "Watch Device" versus "Device". But if it functions the same, that's the important thing.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting all groups to the same device is the same as selecting the device except you didn't press the device button, hence change the display, so it still shows the activity name. The benefit of doing it this way is you can mix in functions from several devices if you want.

I'll dig into Assist in a few days.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have time to look at this in detail, but one way to get the ARRX12G to use the User buttons is to learn IR signals to a user-named device and a user-named button. Here's the sequence of actions:

Settings/Learning/New Device/Device Not Listed/{enter a name}/On Screen Keys/New Key{learn a signal}{enter a key name}

These learned signals then show up in the DUE Buttons tab, assigned to User1, User2, etc. At this point, selecting the user-named device and selecting the user-defined soft button will send the learned IR signals. Note that there is no setup code associated with this user-named device, because the source of the data is learns rather than an upgrade. Perhaps there is a problem associated with assigning a function from an upgrade to a device which has no setup code. However, in one short trial, this didn't crash my remote; the remote just didn't send a signal. Or, perhaps there is a problem with assigning a function to the UserX button, if it doesn't already have a user-defined name.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I had previously learned to the ARRX12G, and discovered that it could learn only 12 soft buttons per device; thus I suspected a connection between the 12 learned signals and the 12 User soft buttons. But, what I saw was a Learned Signals tab; I have not seen a DUE Buttons tab.

However, I never tried assigning any functions from any type of device, to any buttons soft or hard on the learned devices.

When the problem occurred, there were no learned signals associated at all. There were six normal devices with setup codes, and in three of those I assigned normal (not learned) functions to some of the User soft buttons; that's when the problem occurred. When the User assigned functions were removed, the problem disappeared. I have a copy of that file, if it would be of any help?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qwerky wrote:
I have not seen a DUE Buttons tab.

3FG means the Buttons tab of the Device Upgrade Editor. You open this editor from the Devices tab - select an upgrade and press the Edit button at the bottom of the page. The editor has its own set of tabs, one of which is Buttons.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaaa... thanks, Graham! Now I understand that paragraph much better Laughing ; gotta get used to the acronyms.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qwerky wrote:
Leaving the Assists fields blank didn't do it in my case--there is still the "Assist?" at the top of the LCD, which I would love to get rid of.

It should work. If you press Assist?, what does it show? Normally it shows three items for Picture, Sound, Power but the unset ones are grayed out. Do you actually see three grayed-out buttons? If so, save it as a .rmir file and post it for me to look at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: