JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xsight touch and JP1: No remotes found?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bac0nfat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Xsight touch and JP1: No remotes found? Reply with quote

I just got an Xsight touch remote and I'm completely new to all of this. I started reading the JP1 tutorial and following the steps, but now I am stuck at a dead end. I got Java installed, the Remote Master software running, and all the RDF's and maps installed. I connected my Xsight touch to my computer with the supplied USB cable, and windows 7 says "USB device not recognized," and I cannot download from remote on the Remote Master software. It says "no remotes found."

I tried updating the driver through the device manager and installing off the CD that came with the remote, but nothing worked. I also tried using the ar.ez-rc.com website but it will not let me make an account.

Please help me get past this. Like I said, I'm totally new to this so you might have to talk to me like I'm five.

ETA: Looks like maybe I need a JP1 cable?

ETA again: I think I got it working. I had to install the conduit which made the website start working, and I was able to install the drivers and update the firmware to the remote. Now to try and program it...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, uninstall whatever you got from the CD. It's useless.

Go here in IE (not Chrome or Firefox) to create a new account:
http://www.ez-rc.com/Pages/LogOn/UserLogOn.aspx

I just created a new account myself and it worked fine.

Download the USB driver in this post if it still won't connect, and download the additional RDF/Maps/Images for Xsight:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14804

JP1 cables don't work with Xsight. Use the cable that came with the remote.
bac0nfat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the driver found here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11937

...which allowed me to log into the ez-rc site, read and program the remote through the site. I was able to add most of my devices and program some macros through the website, and it is working fine. There were a few issues with connectivity; I had to un-plug and reconnect the remote a few times.

However, I still cannot connect to the remote in the RMIR software. It still says "no remotes found."

Despite having that issue, I'm pretty happy with how the remote is programmed now. I only have two issues. One, the macro commands for power on are 8 seconds, which means it takes up to 20 seconds to complete the entire macro sequence. I don't think that is necessary.

The other thing is, I need to get my PS3 working with this remote. I have the Harmony PS3 adapter but I'm not sure where to even start with programming the Xsight.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change any commands to any delay you want. Edit the activity and change it from 8 to 0.1 if you like. You'll just have to experiment to find the best value.

For RMIR, try closing your browser and the conduit and picking CommHID as the interface type.

Here's the upgrade for the PS3 adapter:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11513

Once you get RMIR working, just go to the Devices tab, New, Open and pick the file. Ok until you get back to the tab, then download.
bac0nfat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I figured out how to change the delay, it wasn't real obvious at first, but then I tried double clicking the clock icon and it let me change it.

I still can't connect to the remote with RMIR. I closed the browser and the conduit, and it didn't work. Under "interface" the only two options are "auto-detect," or "JP1.X Serial..." If I change it to "JP1.X Serial..." it opens a new window where the only two options are "auto-detect" or "other" with a field to type. I tried clicking "other" and typing "CommHID." That didn't work.

I also tried restarting and trying all the above steps again, but it still didn't work.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No CommHID strongly suggests that you don't have sufficiently new software. In RMIR, check Help/About. You need at least v2.03 Alpha 27. I suspect that you have 2.02b, which doesn't support Xsight remotes. The About screen should also show
DecodeIR version 2.45
Interfaces:
JP1.X Serial version 0.20
CommHID version 0.4
JPS version 0.1

V2.03 Alpha 28 has everything you need all in one zip file. Do install it in a new folder.
bac0nfat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
No CommHID strongly suggests that you don't have sufficiently new software. In RMIR, check Help/About. You need at least v2.03 Alpha 27. I suspect that you have 2.02b, which doesn't support Xsight remotes. The About screen should also show
DecodeIR version 2.45
Interfaces:
JP1.X Serial version 0.20
CommHID version 0.4
JPS version 0.1

V2.03 Alpha 28 has everything you need all in one zip file. Do install it in a new folder.

I tried that, seems to be working...
bac0nfat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I was able to upload/download to the remote with the new software, and I was able to add the PS3 upgrade to the remote. It shows up on my remote as a new device. I also have the Harmony adapter paired up with the PS3 and the light is solid green. However the remote does not work with the PS3 at all.
bac0nfat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried another PS3 file, the one here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11649

This one works, but it seems to be buggy. The biggest problem is that the buttons sometimes "double." Any workaround or fix to this?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your old Harmony still works, try a few learns from it and see if that's any better. If so, one of our experts (Vicky, are you reading this?) may be able to tweak the protocol.
bac0nfat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized that it was just my technique when pressing the buttons that needed fixing. If I press and release really quickly, the doubling goes away.

Now I just need to update all my activities with the relevant PS3 commands, and I will be all done!
bac0nfat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything works perfect now, I am so happy! It took all day but it was well worth it. I eliminated 4 remotes, and now I only have to press one button to start watching a movie. This is amazing!

Now that this is done, I think I'm gonna try getting it to control my Amazon Fire TV. I assume that's possible with the right IR adapter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: