JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Denon AVR-1604/684

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Denon AVR-1604/684 Reply with quote

I've just purchased a new Denon AVR-1604/684 HT receiver. Nice piece of equipment, sounds great, but it looks like it's going to be a "bear" to program.

When I downloaded the Denon 1603 the Denon general upgrades from Yahoo last night, I thought I had everything I need - especially when I did a quick new upgrade (based on 1603) just including the power, volume and input source select keys and it all worked right off. But today, I learned all the keys on the Denon remote with my URC 8911. Most of the learned keys indicate the standard Denon protocol, but use devices 2, 4, 8 and 12. Two keys decode as NEC1 protocol, devices 80 and 100. Several more don't decode to a specific protocol but just a string of numbers. And finally, a few don't decode at all including, curiously, the numeral 0 key.

The learned EFCs that use device 2 generally seem to coincide with their counterparts in the 1603 upgrade and the AMP-0160 - except for the number keys. The learned number keys use device 2, but in the 1603 upgrade, number keys use device 12. The learned number keys also do NOT correspond to the number keys in AMP 0160. Lots of other discrepancies.

HELP, please.
Don
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Here is the official Denon site IR commands. Do they look correct. I can translate later -- I don't have time right now, but if these commands look right we can go from there.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR1603IR.pdf
DGG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, Jon.

A few things are clearer after perusing the file you linked for me. I'll be able to struggle on for a while longer before yelling "uncle".

But, don't be surprised if I'm back to you later in the weekend.

Have a good one,
Don
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link where I explained the Denon commands:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?keywords=1431&highlight=denon

That may help a bit.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cut & pasted the binary codes from that PDF and converted them into JP1 style codes. I then created an upgrade based on that info, which you can find here: Denon_AVR1603.txt I've only mapped the obvious buttons, so you'll have to decide which of the others are useful to you.

Remember though, that this file is supposedly for the AVR1603, so I don't know if these codes apply to your AVR1604. By the sounds of your first post, they may not.
DGG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys.

I'll have another run at it tomorrow.

Don
DGG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how easy it is when you're steered in the right direction.

Part of the problem was my own fault. Those NEC1 protocol codes were power toggles for other equipment controllable from the remote. I had (erroneously) assumed the buttons were the equivalent of device buttons. As for the numeral keys, I had misread the receiver specs. I thought it supported direct tuning, which would have required the full set of numeral keys. Instead, it only supports Tune +/-. The numeral keys 1-8 select tune presets and input sources; numeral 9 is only used for input selection; numeral 0 is not used at all for the 1604 - hence the no decode.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I simply loaded Rob's upgrade, deleted the Denon Protocol upgrade and started pushing buttons. I should be OK from here.

Incidentally, the second byte of the hex code in the Denon Combo (hacked) is the one's complement of the same byte in the Denon Combo (official). The first byte is the same in both.

Thanks again, guys.
Don
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGG wrote:
Incidentally, the second byte of the hex code in the Denon Combo (hacked) is the one's complement of the same byte in the Denon Combo (official). The first byte is the same in both.

That's why we force you to use OBC mode with the official version of the protocol. If we let you enter EFCs, and you tried to use the EFCs that work with the regular Denon protocol, they wouldn't work (because they would be the complement of what you want).

When I originally wrote the hacked Denon combo protocol, I deliberately made it so that it would accept the regular EFCs, but UEI wasn't so considerate when they wrote the official protocol! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: