JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to change RMDU mapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: How to change RMDU mapping Reply with quote

I originally posted this in the Beginners section but got no responses so I figured I'd try over here to see if someone (maybe some more advanced members read through this board, although I didn't think this was such an advanced request) knows the answer....

I've been using a couple JP1 remotes for years & haven't had to make any changes to them until recently. Now that I'm updating them to new work new devices the files I'm finding obviously need to be customized to work my remotes.

I'm thinking I had done some customizing years ago without using a bunch of keymoves but can't for the life of me remember how to do it now. One of the files I'm working with is http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9285 and the 2 remotes I'm working with are a Millennium 4-B01 and an URC-8910. The Millenniums are ancient but my wife and I love the layout of them & I have a few from when I worked for a cable co years ago.

I have some other files that need work too but I'm pretty sure if someone can just get me pointed in the right direction with one I'll be ok.

Thanks in advance.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install Remote Master. Then on the general tab, pick your model remote. On the layout tab, drag and drop each function to a button.

Read the How Easy Is It tutorial on the wiki site linked above for the rest.
Jon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried using several versions of RM and doing as you say. It works but results in a bunch of keymoves for the changes I make instead of just clean reprogramming like I need. I'll try reading up on RM some more but not sure how much different I can do it compared to how I'm trying already.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On old remotes like yours, chosing the device type on the general page will make a big difference on which keys are going to be keymoves. We forget that because on the current remotes, almost all keys are available on all device types, but on those old remotes there was a big difference.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his reply to you, mdavej wrote:
Quote:
Install Remote Master. Then on the general tab, pick your model remote. On the layout tab, drag and drop each function to a button.

If you use the Buttons tab rather than the Layout tab, you will see that there is an asterisk on some of the button names. These are buttons that are not available on the remote for the device type concerned, as Vicky has explained. Any assignment to those buttons will result in a keymove rather than a native assignment. In addition, assignments to shifted keys will always result in a keymove.
Jon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help on this! I didn't realize that the keys with asterisks on the 'Buttons' tab in RM would always be considered key moves. I figured out that out of the 16 device types for my Millennium remotes only 3 let me program most of the buttons without keymoves (Cable, Sat & Vid Acc). I was able to change the device types of all my codes to those 3 & had minimal keymoves.

It's people like you that make dealing with these JP1.x remotes possible and proving once again this is one of the friendliest & most helpful forums on the web. Thanks again so much for sharing your knowledge and breathing life into my ancient remotes (and knowing I won't need to give them up anytime soon)! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: