JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xsight Touch ARRX18G not found/recognized by Remote Master
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the questions in your update:

1. You think the Website is quicker to get going than RMIR? Seriously??? EZ-RC drives me nuts. It is so incredibly tedious to use. I think other users of XSights in this forum would say that it is better to use RMIR from the beginning.

2. Nothing that RMIR does should cause problems with EZ-RC, but as we have seen, the reverse is not the case. So I advise sticking to RMIR unless you just want to upload a setup to EZ-RC for backup purposes.

3. Yes, you can save individual devices as .rmdu files that can be loaded back into a remote, even into a different model of remote. If you open the device editor from the Devices tab, you will see buttons on the bottom left labelled "Save as" and "Open". The first saves the device as a .rmdu file, the second opens a dialog for you to load one back. To load a .rmdu file as a new device, open the editor with the New button rather than the Edit one. The File Section of our forum has a Device Upgrades section where you can post them for others to use.

Can my software add new features to the remote? Not to the XSights, I'm afraid. There are many remotes for which so-called Extenders have been developed by other experts, which can add many features to those remotes but they are very specific to individual remotes. No-one has tackled an extender for the XSights and I cannot foresee anyone even attempting it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackssr wrote:
I saved one remote with the old configuration. It is at my house. I will test when I leave my office later today. You feel the new alpha will load even with that issue? I will confirm also. If does then I can remap that button is your software and no longer need EZ_RC in the future.

Yes, it should load your old configuration and enable you to edit it.
blackssr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. I am going to try to build a configuration from scratch for my Xsight 18.

When I launch RM-IR and choose open- New Remote Image- XSight18 it says cannot open image for this remote. Is this not the way to start a new setup?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the way to start is to do a download, even from an empty remote. This is true for all remotes, not just the XSight ones. The difference from other remotes is how you then proceed. You CAN create a remote image for non-XSight remotes, but it is not advisable to do so as most remotes have some settings that cannot be set with RMIR and which will be given values that may not be appropriate.

For the XSight remotes, to set up a built-in device you do so from the remote with Settings/Device Setup/Add Device. This route asks you the make of the device and then you test a sequence of possibilities against your actual device. But if you know the setup code (which you do as you have already set them up), you can use the Code Selector in RMIR (after downloading your empty setup). With this, you can select the device type and setup code from all the ones in the remote and then the Code Selector will tell you where it is, e.g. that it is the 3rd of 5 TV's in the list for Panasonic. Full instructions are shown in the Code Selector window.

To load a device from a .rmdu file, you use the Device Editor as I explained earlier. To create a device from learns, you need to use the remote, of course.

Once you have your devices set up in this way you can customise them as you wish, even changing the codes sent by individual buttons.

Hope this helps.
blackssr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feature or bug?

Once a soft button is learned for a particular device, can it be moved to another soft button location within that device? I have right clicked on a soft button and choose another command but it doesn't take. Am I doing something incorrect?

If I assign it to another soft button in the learned commands tab the new location is shown but it doesn't move in the device tab. If I save changes the .MRIR file saves but no longers re -opens.
blackssr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Is there no more support dealing with the Xsight remotes and RM-IR?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham is one guy who is doing all of this for fun in his free time. RMIR has been an enormous amount of work, especially adding Xsight support, which is far more complex than any remote we've ever seen before. That alone has been a work in progress for nearly 2 years now. Bug reports have been more frequent lately as Xsight has become more popular. He's simultaneously working on support and an extender for an entirely different UEI remote, the OneForAll SimpleSet, all without introducing new bugs that break support for the other 100 or so JP1 remotes that RMIR works with. Fixes, especially minor ones, come whenever he has the time and inclination to do it. So you have to be very patient.

With regard to the latest thing you found, I know that moving a learned function in EZ-RC is not allowed. If this is a limitation of the remote itself, then RMIR needs to be modified to prohibit it. In any case, I agree it is some kind of bug that needs to be fixed.

Generally, we JP1ers always strive to have zero learns. RMIR decodes your learns to make it easy to add those codes to your device upgrades. That's always more efficient and more accurate than the original learns. RMIR even has the capability of converting an entire group of learns to a device upgrade.
blackssr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

With regard to the latest thing you found, I know that moving a learned function in EZ-RC is not allowed. If this is a limitation of the remote itself, then RMIR needs to be modified to prohibit it. In any case, I agree it is some kind of bug that needs to be fixed.

Generally, we JP1ers always strive to have zero learns. RMIR decodes your learns to make it easy to add those codes to your device upgrades. That's always more efficient and more accurate than the original learns. RMIR even has the capability of converting an entire group of learns to a device upgrade.

I think this where I am lost. I learned 31 functions for a Marantz AVR. I do not know how to convert to an upgrade. Really lost here. The learned functions work perfectly but when I save as "a device upgrade file. (.rmdu file) and load back in when doing a new device upgrade it is blank.

This is what I want to do but having no luck:"RMIR even has the capability of converting an entire group of learns to a device upgrade". My goal here is to create device upgrades for all my hardware and give back to the forums. My system remotes are all done and I could not be happier. To be honest, I used the web site and RM-IR to create the perfect remote for my needs. I would like to create solely with RM-IR and contribute back. I have a lot of new and recently released hardware that can be useful to other members. I know I am missing a step somewhere but can not figure out what I am doing wrong.
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted as redundant - crossed with post by mdavej

Last edited by tranx on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, go to the Learned tab. In the menu, go to Options - Advanced and check Learn to Upgrade conversion. Highlight all your learns, then click Convert to Device Upgrade.

But I looked at your file, and the Marantz learns are a little too complicated for the automatic conversion. You need to make a list of your learns and the Protocol, Device, Subdevice and OBC for each. Go to the Devices tab - New. Pick the matching protocol, fill in device and subdevice. Go to the functions tab and enter all your function names and their corresponding OBCs, then SaveAs, then OK.

However, I see that Xnappo's Marantz upgrade is pretty much an exact match, So instead of doing all that work above, open it, select the default at the prompt, then change to your Xsight model and customize the buttons to your liking. As you can see, he uses the RC-5/5x combo and devices 16 and 17 as your learns show.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11153

Similar story for your Dune and Tivo. You can probably find upgrades in our file section that match your learns already.

Keep a backup of your files of course, but you'll need to delete those learns eventually.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackssr wrote:
Once a soft button is learned for a particular device, can it be moved to another soft button location within that device? I have right clicked on a soft button and choose another command but it doesn't take. Am I doing something incorrect?

If I assign it to another soft button in the learned commands tab the new location is shown but it doesn't move in the device tab. If I save changes the .MRIR file saves but no longers re -opens.

Where the function name is in boldface in the Function column of the Buttons tab in the Device Upgrade Editor, the assignment cannot be changed by the editor. A tooltip tells you this if you hover the pointer over the function name.

This applies to all learns. They can be moved, but only from the Learned Signals tab. You should be able to edit the device button and/or key entries by double-clicking.

I have done several experiments with your posted final setup .rmir file with its astonishing 131 learned signals Rolling Eyes . In all cases the change occurred in the Learned Signals tab and was also shown in the Device Upgrade Editor. I saved each test as a .rmir file. In one case, but one only, the resulting .rmir file would not open. In the other cases it opened and still had the edited change to the learned signal. If you can give me a reproducible example that does not work, by posting the .rmir file to use and telling me exactly what sequence of operations to use to give a failure, I will look into it further.

Bear in mind, as mdavej has pointed out, that this is a hobby that I do in my spare time. Even so, I think you get a better turnaround than you would from most commercial software vendors.
blackssr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Is a 131 learned not common? I guess I have a lot to learn to be more efficient. I just added a few more learns and now I am up to 151. Embarassed The good news is my config is now perfect for me. I can backup and restore without error using RM-IR. I have retired my Prontos and enjoy a single handed remote in each of my TV/Theater rooms. I have been working a couple of hours a day trying to understand how to create a device upgrade from scratch using just your program and the OEM remotes. I am making some progress but still very confused. My goal is create new device upgrades for all my newer equipment and give back to the community that helped my with my Xsights. I understand that this is your hobby and apologize if I seamed anxious. I appreciate all your effort and would like to contribute in making the Xsight work better with your program. Why may I ask, is my config so complicated and issue ridden? It only has 8 devices. My Prontos handled even more devices over the years with aplomb.

Thanks again,

Mike
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I was able to build upgrades for most of your learns using the Convert function. Only the Marantz wouldn't convert automatically. But Xnappo's upgrade I posted earlier should work fine. I didn't see any difference between it and your learns. For the purpose of learning how to build upgrades, I think it's easier to study the auto converted upgrades than to start from scratch.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackssr wrote:
Why may I ask, is my config so complicated and issue ridden? It only has 8 devices. My Prontos handled even more devices over the years with aplomb.

It isn't the number of anything, not of devices or even of learns. It is that your setup has situations that I have not previously encountered. Three of these are device names with leading spaces, function names with trailing spaces, and macros with learned signals. There are doubtless more that I have dealt with and forgotten, and more that I have not yet come across.

I have had to work out from scratch how this remote works, in order to incorporate it into RMIR. Look at the raw data tab. There is no manual on how to interpret that mass of hex values, we in this group just have to sit down and work it out for ourselves. It is not like any other remote that UEI has produced. I cannot foresee all possible situations in such a complex remote. So when something new comes along, I try to deal with it. What you should be surprised at is not that there are a few things in RMIR that still cause problems, it is the enormous amount that actually WORKS.
blackssr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
FYI, I was able to build upgrades for most of your learns using the Convert function. Only the Marantz wouldn't convert automatically. But Xnappo's upgrade I posted earlier should work fine. I didn't see any difference between it and your learns. For the purpose of learning how to build upgrades, I think it's easier to study the auto converted upgrades than to start from scratch.

I built a few upgrades for my Sharp TV and Samsung Sound Bar using the Auto Convert function.The Samsung Sound Bar had all the same protocols, devices and sub devices so it was easy to create an upgrade form scratch using OEM remote and RM-IR.

The Sharp TV had 2 learns that were listed as protocol "**multiple**" and could not be included with the other learns that were all the same. I left those 2 out and created an upgrade using Auto Convert Function. Is it impossible to merge those 2 learns with the new device so it will include them in the final device upgrade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: