JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA URC 9910C questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snarksdad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: OFA URC 9910C questions Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have been using a URC 9910C IR/RF remote for many years. We control our outdoor speakers vi the RF to the RF/IR repeater box. My wife accidentally left the remote outdoors overnight a few weeks ago and while it did not rain, heavy dew infiltrated the keyboard and the remote became flaky and then failed altogether. I took it apart and cleaned it with denatured alcohol and dried it thoroughly but it still it only worked sometime. I found one on Ebay for $50 (a lot more than I paid for the 1st one) and figured I would replace it since it was flaky and the LCD was half gone (my wife threw it at me a few years ago but that's another story). So the one I got off of Ebay was New In Box and came complete with the RF/IR repeater box but after I set it up it did not seem to work with RF. I found the frequency (on this forum, thank you) as 433Mhz so I set my radio scanner to this freq and hit some buttons on the remote and got nothing. I did the same with the flaky one and it did give me audio sounds from the scanner while I held a button down. I opened up the new remote and saw that it does not have the little daughter board above the inductive "hoop" like the older one I have. I assume this is part of the RF transmission circuitry. I also noted this one was an older revision than the one I had been using.
So are there any 9910 users still on this site? If so, can you tell me what this daughter board does? Is it required for RF transmission? I am confused by the fact the remote came with the RF/IR repeater if it was not RF enabled. I see some discussion about moving a "puck" from another remote to the 9910C in this thread http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=284 - is that the same as the daughter board I refer to?

Thanks,
Snarksdad
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the second board that's missing is the RF circuitry, it was either removed from your new remote, or your 9910 is actually a 8910. Sold with a RF base station. You could try moving the RF puck from your old to the new? Or looking for 9800, 8090, RS 1995 or 2117 on ebay?

You could look for a different RF remote, like the URC RF10, great RF performance, rf20, or rf30. It would need a new basestation, like the mrf100, mrf200, or mrf250. They also communicate with RCA, x10, or radio shack RF pyramids:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/tivoburkee/img_0231.jpg
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Edmund, do you know if the 9910 base works with the Xsight Touch? (I've probably asked before but forgotten the answer). If so, that would also be a good, cheap option. Otherwise an Xsight base would only be another $15 or so. And the OP could keep using Remote Master and all his device upgrades.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it doesn't. It makes the light flash as you press a command on the 9910, but doesn't react. Same thing when pressing keys on rf directv remote, non-directv commands like dvd player programmed to av1 or av2 devices. You would think they would interact, being all UEI components.
snarksdad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Edmund,
Thanks for the reply. Well I moved the puck from the old to the new but still no RF. The move went fairly smoothly and I touched up the solder joints on the puck before I soldered to the mother board. Not sure what might have gone wrong. There is not some kind of jumper to enable RF on the mother board is there? Maybe puck is just bad...

Interesting you mention 8910. Both of the remotes are silk screened on the mother board 8910B00. My "old" one is URC-8910B00 IMPKH81 REV 1 Jan 15, 2003 and the one I got off of Ebay is URC-8910B00 DIKH8 REV 2 June 7, 02. Maybe that version was never programmed to output RF?

I pulled out my "spare" 9910C and have that working OK with RF, but it does not know about my Sherwood receiver. Seems to me back in the day when OFA was still in business I called them about the Sherwood and they had me hold the remote up to the phone and they downloaded to it. Memory is hazy on which remote (I have been thru a couple of dozen I think) that was. Does the 9910 have an audio interface for upgrading? I see no (obvious) mic/audio pickup on the board anywhere. I think I can have it learn what I need for the Sherwood amp since I do have the original remote for it.

The 9910 has been my favorite over the years so I really would like to have a spare. Though its RF range is not that good (I get about 80 ft) and it eats batteries. It is easy to use and has been very reliable. I have had half a dozen x10 RF remotes but until the Nstinct IconRemote IR34A, they only RF'd the X10 and not the other devices. X10 "gave" me an IR34A with a large X10 order I had before they went out of business. It works pretty well with RF for X10 devices but seems pretty spotty on the other (IR only) devices. Maybe that's because I am using it with the URC RF base station. I don't recall if the IR34A was supposed to be 100% compatible with that. Maybe the IR34A is talking to one of the 2 x10 RF receivers still plugged in the house. Not sure. You also have to hit like 6 buttons to turn on a light with the IR34A. Pretty clumsy.

I looked at the RF10,20's you mentioned. They seem pricey (compared to what I paid for the 9910's) when you have to add on the MRF base station. I do have an X10 pyramid around here somewhere but I never had much luck with it. I did not see X10 mentioned in the RF10 online manual - is it supposed to work with X10? Maybe I will try an RF20 if I can find one cheap enough...

Thanks,
Snarksdad
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 9910 has wav upgrade capability via the big inductive loop (senses the magnetic field from a speaker driver, not sound waves).

You should be able to load any upgrade you like.

I think the $30 Xsight Touch from ebay plus a $15 RF base from ebay would work great for you, and be cheaper over all that what you paid for that gutted 9910 clone.

The Xsight works with Remote Master, is 18 device, rechargeable, touch screen, learning, macros, favorites (with full color channel logos), and the base has 6 blasters instead of one.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8910 and 9910 use the exact same main circuit board, so it's not surprising that the 9910 might have 8910 silk screened on it. As for the "9910" that you bought on ebay, someone obviously re-packaged an 8910 in a box for a 9910 (not realizing that the remotes are different, so you got duped there, sorry to say.

As for the spare 9910 that doesn't have codes for all your devices, you can use the JP1 tools to create a WAV file that you can play through your PC speakers in order to load any new upgrades that you need. The folks here can help you with that, if you don't know what to do.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snarksdad wrote:

I looked at the RF10,20's you mentioned. They seem pricey (compared to what I paid for the 9910's) when you have to add on the MRF base station. I do have an X10 pyramid around here somewhere but I never had much luck with it. I did not see X10 mentioned in the RF10 online manual - is it supposed to work with X10? Maybe I will try an RF20 if I can find one cheap enough...

Thanks,
Snarksdad

URF RF remotes definitely work with x10 receiver, no need for the transmitter, and no pointing needed. That's if you're in the States, UE version of the x10 uses a different frequency.

I have spares laying around:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/tivoburkee/P1010144_zps1b64f20b.jpg
snarksdad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The 8910 and 9910 use the exact same main circuit board, so it's not surprising that the 9910 might have 8910 silk screened on it. As for the "9910" that you bought on ebay, someone obviously re-packaged an 8910 in a box for a 9910 (not realizing that the remotes are different, so you got duped there, sorry to say.

As for the spare 9910 that doesn't have codes for all your devices, you can use the JP1 tools to create a WAV file that you can play through your PC speakers in order to load any new upgrades that you need. The folks here can help you with that, if you don't know what to do.

Thanks Robman,
I think I actually would like to learn how to do this. I see there is already a file with codes for a Blu-Ray player I have. Can you suggest some links here on how to get started. Is this going to be part of the IR.exe tool I saw in the tools section? I assume for this I don't need a JP1 connector.

Thanks,
Snarksdad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use IR.exe or RMIR as both have the capability of creating WAV upgrades, and you'll need to use RM to format the upgrades to your liking first anyway.

Also keep in mind that you will need to gather all of the upgrades together before you start as they all need to be in the WAV file that you load. In other words, when you load a WAV file it wipes out any upgrades that you might have loaded previously.

The Wiki page is a good place to start (the link is at the top of the page). If you get stuck, there are plenty of folks here that will walk you through the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: