JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with new comcast remote (signature not found)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosstalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Problem with new comcast remote (signature not found) Reply with quote

Hello. I got a new xfinity red button remote and was planning to upload my config to it. I first tried to download the current config from the remote, but the signature wasn't recognized so I tried to do a 981 reset and it looks like the remote locked up. Now the cable light is on solid when I put the batteries in. If a press a button, the cable light goes off briefly and then comes back on. I guess this isn't the standard 1067b any more or I have a bad one. Any thoughts?

Edit: forgot to note that I mistakenly used lithium AA cells when I took the remote out of the wrapping. After the signature not found problem, I tried fresh alkaline AAs. Not sure it should matter but I think the lithium cells have slightly higher terminal voltage.

Here's a photo of the battery compartment:
crosstalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote was bricked, so I got a new one with the same jp2 signature. I just found the jp2 2556 rdf in the development section so I will give it a try. Are there any extenders for jp2 remotes yet?

Raw download file from new remote in case it's needed:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12817
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first--- since the first remote bricked, make sure that the JP1 flash cable you're using has a FTDI chipset and not Prolific. Cables made by Tommy Tyler use the FTDI chip, while DIYGadget uses Prolific. These Prolific chipsets work fine with JP1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 remotes, but generally don't work with a JP2 remote, with some risk of bricking the remote. However, since you did get a raw download, you probably are using FTDI.

Secondly, make sure that you're using RMIR 2.02a or newer. Preferably use 2.03 Alpha, because it has a more complete and accurate set of RDF files-- or, use this latest collection of RDF files.

The known Comcast red button JP2 remote is the 1067BC4, and it has signature 255602. Using the 983 command, it should blink back 25562-- use buttons 1 through 5 to get this blink back.
crosstalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. The first remote bricked using my older serial jp1.3 interface because I think I tried to upload to it ignoring the signature error. I didn't realize it was different h/w from my jp1.3 comcast remote with the red button. I am trying to set up this remote as a backup to the one my kids use (and sometimes break) and thought it was going to be as simple as installing the extender and uploading my config.

I am now using an FTDI-based usb interface with RMIR 2.03 alpha 24e on mac osx because the serial interface requires an old computer (obviously). I can test whether the old serial interface will download jp2 if you like. Using the rdf files you linked, I was able to download the remote's current configuration successfully over the ftdi interface. I also blinked the fifth digit of the signature and it's 25562 as expected.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have it working. Good!
crosstalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any markings in the battery compartment that differentiate the jp1.3 and jp2 versions of this remote? My older jp1.3 has number RC1475505/04MB on the label, but I don't know if that is significant. I was thinking about going to eBay for the jp1.3 if possible. Comcast seems to have moved on to their jp2 version.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In eBay, search for "Comcast remote 1067BX3". Other final letters like BG3 are also OK. Do make sure that the remote has red OK/Select button. I believe that any red button remote which is labeled Comcast rather than Xfinity will be a JP1.3, although lots of remotes which are labeled Xfinity are JP1.3.

Here's a lot of 5 for $15.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about color silver vs gunmetal gray? Are the silver ones likely to be jp2? It seems to me that a long time ago we had a cable tech explain the stickers to us. I think it was for Comcast, but it might have been Atlases. Part of the sticker represented the factory and if I remember correctly a production date was on there. I can't find the post to jog my memory. Anybody else recall this?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that JP1.3 remotes can be either silver or gun metal grey. I bought a JP2 on eBay and it is silver. It has a sticker which says 1067BC4, while the 4 JP1.3 remotes we have have stickers which start RC1475505/03MB or 02MB. If you find a friendly vendor, they may blink back the signatures for you. 3039 is the JP1.3, and 25562 is JP2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: