JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bricked URC-7962 SmartControl Motion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosito

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Bricked URC-7962 SmartControl Motion Reply with quote

Hi All...!

Short story: I have "bricked" my URC-7962 SmartControl Motion after uploading many different personal configurations based on JHerrick/3FG's latest .RMRI file (which he clearly states could brick the remote...!!!). No lights when pressing any button, using fresh new batteries. But (I hope fortunately) I can upload and download using my JPX Flash cable (from txsat.net). I need some help here...! Please!

Long story: Besides have been reading the JP1 forums for a couple of months now, after buying my original URC-7960 and URC-7340 (LatAm's version of the 7140), and as this is my first post, I am doing so here at the beginners forum.

I had found the URC-7960 almost perfect for my needs (my folks' needs actually), particularly the possibility to use the SmartControl buttons as Macros as well - discrete Power ONs and Input selections - all keeping the SmartControl feature working. Unfortunately, and contrary to its own (european) manual and to its bigger brother (URC-7962 Motion) and its American cousin (OARI06G), there is no MasterPower function.

When I learned about the URC-7962 Motion I thought it would be the perfect upgrade, for I assumed it would be the URC-7960 plus the MasterPower (using its Power button LKP) and, as a bonus, backlighting and bigger labels on all buttons (important feature for old folks ;ˆ). As I live in France it was easier to get than it would be the OARI06G anyways (The motion controls seems nice on paper, particularly the Flip Over Power Off; But I think this feature is too sensitive and I could not imagine myself nor my folks having to fix the frequent and accidental double tap muting feature).

Unfortunately and probably as some here already know, this MaxQ612 Remote had one feature "downgraded" from its older S3F8 sibling, which is: OFA removed the possibility to use Macros and SmartControl functions at the same time (I really don't understand why)!

My options were two fold: Using the JPX cable to try programing either a pseudo MasterPower Macro on the "old" URC-7960 or enable SmartControl Macros on the URC-7962 (all these not even considering other very desirable upgrades such as extenders and/or SpecialProtocols from this amazing community and its experts, which will be created in the long term, I hope).

When I first installed JHerrick's RMRI upgrade I was amazed by how it (seemingly) worked with my Macro and how it kept the SmartControl feature working. I assumed it had to do with its Activities tab showing "WatchTV" under Key under Activity Functions instead of its programmed number ("2" on my case for controlling TV + STB + AMP).

Somehow, after entering all the setup codes for my Panasonic Plasma UT50 TV (0650), my Sony S470 Blu-Ray Player (1516), my Sony DN1010 Receiver (2172) and for my Pace HDC 74X1 STB (for the Brazilian Cable Provider NET learned by the still "unmodded" URC-7962), and after programming my own Key moves and Macros, including a PowerMacro for TV and STB using shadow buttons (button70 to 79) as power ones, and after pressing the power button, the remote finally stopped working. No lights, no Nada!

I removed all batteries, pressed each and every button for 5 seconds, used brand new Duracell Alkaline batteries, and nothing. I plug on my MacBook and could always upload to and download from my URC-7962 (at least). I have also tried to upload a New Remote Image and JHerrick's "dangerous" RMRI again. The remote seems to accept them because I can download both again, but it rests dark forever.

For info, I am using RemoteMaster v2.03 Alpha 22e with JP1.X Serial version 0.20 (Mac OSX 64-bit version) and the latest JP1.4 JP2 JP3 RDFs and MAPs. Have successfully used it with both the URC-7962 and the older URC-7960. (Interestingly the 7340 is not recognized on this new version, but I recall having correctly backed my 7340 up on an older version using the URC-7120/30/40's RDF).

My Remote's info is:
(under the battery door)
E114501
URC 11-7962 R00
MAXQ612X-2049+ E

(hidden up on the main board)
SMART CONTROL
-11-7962R00
-12446 REV C
AUG 09, 2011
00-07630000-00
: REV 1

Hope some expert here can help me. In the mean time I will download from the remote its image (normal and raw), just in case it helps.

Thanks a lot in advance!
MikeT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bricked URC-7962 SmartControl Motion Reply with quote

Hi rosito,
rosito wrote:
and after pressing the power button, the remote finally stopped working

I tried to reproduce the brick using JHerrick's file and I get a lot of crashes of the remote. Most of the time it self recovers with a normal reset, but sometimes I had to remove the batteries, but it never bricked. It is currently not clear what causes the brick, therefore it is important to learn what happened before the brick.

Are your sure, that the brick happened when pressing the power button?
Were you using a LKP to start your assigned macro or a short press of the power button?
Do you remember what you did just before pressing the power button and if and which activity was active?
How long did it work before bricking the remote (how many keypresses or how many days), that means how sporadic is the problem?
Have you uploaded your rmir file somewhere (e.g. in the diagnostic file area)?

rosito wrote:

The motion controls seems nice on paper, particularly the Flip Over Power Off; But I think this feature is too sensitive and I could not imagine myself nor my folks having to fix the frequent and accidental double tap muting feature).

I can confirm that these are the reasons why I also disabled this feature. Maybe we can adjust the the sensitivity or disable some of the motion triggers (especially the "mute").
You should prepare a wish list Smile

Michael
rosito

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bricked URC-7962 SmartControl Motion Reply with quote

Hi Mike!
Thank you for your reply.
Problem solved now!
Nevertheless I am trying to reply as precisely as possible.

MikeT wrote:

Are your sure, that the brick happened when pressing the power button?

I am not that young any longer so I tend not to say I am 100% sure about anything. But I remember pressing the power button just before putting my 7962 in a coma state ;ˆ)

MikeT wrote:

Were you using a LKP to start your assigned macro or a short press of the power button?
Do you remember what you did just before pressing the power button and if and which activity was active?
How long did it work before bricking the remote (how many keypresses or how many days), that means how sporadic is the problem?

I wrote a small macro for the power button (TV;button70;STB;button70).
Both button70 were phantom keymoves with the Power Toggle for each device (don't need AMP cause it communicates by CEC with the TV).

I think when in device mode (TV or STB or AMP) the Power Macro seemed to work with a normal short press.
But in SmartControl, as it is supposed to work this way (AFAIK), only a LKP worked, but messed things up...!

I was in the WatchTV Activity (since this was the only one enabled in the JHerrick's RMRI).
And I just used it for a couple of presses (Volume, Ch change for testing purposes) before bricking.
My goal was to put the Power Macro to work anyways (at this time I assumed the SmartControl button Macro and Activity were both working side by side at the same time - As already state, I wrongly assumed the WatchTV key state under RemoteMaster indicated it was correctly modified/hacked by 3FG).

MikeT wrote:

Have you uploaded your rmir file somewhere (e.g. in the diagnostic file area)?

Not yet. But, most importantly after uploading my old backup many times I got the remote back to life...!!! ;ˆD
If you think it is important for diagnosis, I can upload the download data... Let me know.

MikeT wrote:

You should prepare a wish list Smile

I think we all should.
But of course, we should not expect the JP1 (in this case JP3 actually) to work on that list as it were their main attention!

Maybe this would require its own post.

URC-7962 Motion Wish List.

1. Possibility to assign Macros (and DSM for that matter) on the SmartControl/Activities buttons.
If not possible, maybe the capability to customize the Activity tab in RemoteMaster as with the 7960 (currently read only for the 7962 Motion).

2. LKP and ShortKP for every and each possible button (this would give the SmartControl buttons almost 3 functions: SKP, LKP and its own activity! ;ˆ).
The main purpose here would be to have the power button to have both the device and "Master" control for turning the equipments' on and off.

3. TOAD Toggler (special) protocol.
I need this for my Pace STB. I was never able to find discrete codes for its power function.

4. Motion Control flexibility and sensibility control
Being able to assign different functions to the stock ones and to disable some of them.

As I am not an expert, I might be wishing too much, but assuming older JP1 to JP1.3 remotes could do it, why not wish, right?
If these features come as an extender or as special protocols for an unextended remote (UDSM and ULKP), I wouldn't be able to tell.. ;ˆP

Cheers,
Fred

P.S.JP1.4: For me it would be nice as well to have the possibility to have a MasterPower feature on my old JP1.4 URC-7960.
And being really picky, as they are JP1.4 as well, I would love to have all my 7340's (Latin's 7140's) with macros on its solo activity button and the possibility to use its power key with a ShortPress while in Activity mode.

I will try to learn more, reading the RDF4 and 5 specs documentation.
If anyone here needs a tester for all these JP1.4 and JP3 OFA excellent remotes, I will be always glad to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: