JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

can it send multiple codes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikepj

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: can it send multiple codes? Reply with quote

I would like to be able to quickly and easily turn on/off captioning on the cable TV box. normally this would require 10(!) button presses. is there a way i can program it to send 10 codes with one key press? i don't have a JP1 remote yet; just looking for a way to do this.

thank you for any insights you can offer!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I fell in love with these UEI remotes was the macro capability. My 13 step macro to do something that I did routinely really was helpful. When I moved into FAST MACROS I was even more pleased. But most of my TV's also had discrete codes for subtitles. Of course if You have a HDMI cable box you need to turn on the captions via the box instead of at the TV. The problem I see with the menu macro on a cable Box is that some of them hold state so that you don't always have the same button sequence to get to the captions. Of course there might be a discrete for this too. Does your cable company supply a macro capable remote (is there a 6 pin connector in the battery compartment?)
What model cable box do you have?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mikepj

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>The reason I fell in love with these UEI remotes was the macro capability. My 13 step macro to do something that I did routinely really was helpful. When I moved into FAST MACROS I was even more pleased. But most of my TV's also had discrete codes for subtitles. Of course if You have a HDMI cable box you need to turn on the captions via the box instead of at the TV.

that's their situation; the cable box controls for captioning is embarrassingly weak.

>The problem I see with the menu macro on a cable Box is that some of them hold state so that you don't always have the same button sequence to get to the captions.

this has been a problem to some degree. they're willing to "live with" the fact that a certain menu selection must remain the same.

>Of course there might be a discrete for this too. Does your cable company supply a macro capable remote (is there a 6 pin connector in the battery compartment?)

THERE IS! Smile

hey, maybe i can do this without even using that connector...time for me to find a manual and have a look...

i didn't even consider the shaw remote as a candidate for doing this function...

>What model cable box do you have?

Motorola DCX3400-M
1056B03

thank you!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a cable box with a discrete command for captions. The best you can do is a macro. Recent Moto firmwares made this a bit easier to do manually, but still nearly impossible to do with a macro. Sorry.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your remote probably will do a 15 step macro

The problem is the box uses a state holding menu, so you need a way to get to a known state.

I checked similar boxes to see if anybody found a discrete, and like mdavej said, there doesn't seem to be a discrete for CC.

So the only way for this to work, is for you to be able to put your menu into a known state.

I don't have a Motorola box here to experiment with but you might want to see what your box does when you are in the menu and do "page up" or any other key sequene that might get you to a known state, no matter what the last user did in the menu.

Then you need to see if you can get to closed caption with the remainder of the 15 possible keystrokes.

Kind of hard. I'm glad that I don't have to dink around with the cable box for cc. I'd go nuts. We turn it on and off ALL the time. but through the TV discrete.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mikepj

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: there will be problems Reply with quote

haven't been back to try it for them yet. the main problem i anticipate is that there doesn't seem to be a way to delay to wait for the 2 required off/on cycles.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When working with a cable we usually add a pause protocol. When we didn't have a cable we used to use the zenith trick. There used to be a zenith VCR code that inserted a long bold with record button press. I haven't used that in more than a decade so i'm a little vague on the details. Also since that was a VCR code video/0039 I'm not sure if modern remotes still have the code. The pause isn't nearly as much of an issue as menu state.

mikepj

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: pause Reply with quote

thank you; we shall try that; if not, will use the cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: