JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Review of OARUSB04G vs. URC6440 (revised)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Can't tranx just download the settings.bin file from the UK site, and post the file here?
Makes sense!
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12501
tranx

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej, I reviewed what happened:-

At first it did not seem possible to set this new code, 3122, on the 6440 by using simpleset.com:-

As you pointed out, Ortek does not appear in the list of manufacturers for any of the four Devices, and ‘Video Acc’ does not appear in any of the Device-Types. Therefore it was not possible to add the code by the normal means.

In simpleset.com, when ‘other Options’> ‘I know the code’ is used, at first it seemed possible to ‘replace’ any of the four devices (whether they have a device already set on them or not).

However, when the resulting, supposedly modified, .bin file (like the one I posted already) is copied back to the remote in effect it now appears that the devices were probably unchanged:-
With more fiddling, it has now become apparent that the respective device button does not light up unless it previously had a device set to it, and if it does light up that device sends the same commands as it did before the operations in simpleset!
i.e. setting 3122 via simpleset.com did not seem to have worked after all:-

e.g. 6440 bin fle 'A.' :-
= after 1322 done by 'I know the code' on devices TV & Extra in simpleset. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12504

BUT, following doing those failed procedures I was then able to set the code 3122 directly onto both device TV, in which device mode Ch+, Ch-, info, menu, guide, and the number buttons then lit up when pressed but found it no longer operated the Tv (as it did before, with 2051 set), and then with 3122 set directly onto the device Extra, when only Ch+, Ch- lit up when pressed:-

e.g. 6440 bin file 'B' :-
= after 1322 was done directly to devices TV & Extra in config 'A', above. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12505

This time I had forgotten what I had understood about OFA support's advice on this/did not follow it straight away, and the instructions within simpleset itself didn't clarify or emphasise it, but the penny has dropped again that the 'I know the code' does is to get a new code into the remote, but then it also needs to be set on a particular device by using the 'direct' method?

Last edited by tranx on Thu May 08, 2014 8:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I know from experience with other OFA remotes that "Video Acc" = "STB" device type. So on simpleset, I chose STB, "I know the code", and entered 3122. This apparently loads it into the bin, but does not actually assign it to the button, as you discovered. After loading the bin, as they said in their earlier instructions, hold Setup for 2 blinks, press the device button (STB in my case), then enter the code (3122). At that point it's assigned correctly and shoots Tivo codes.

In case Video Acc wasn't really the same as STB, I tried every possible device type, with no success. Only STB type worked with that code.

I noticed you typed 1322 and 3122. Is that a typo, or is the code really 1322? I didn't try that one.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a typo in the bin file description, corrected now. Thanks for the quick confirmations.

Will go ahead and report to OFA support that it does not work with Ortek and that it shoots Tivo codes, and ask them to have another look at the example of the Ortek protocol which you provided in pronto hex.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. If they need it, I can provide every command in pronto hex. It's definitely not Tivo protocol.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
...If they need it, I can provide every command in pronto hex....
Thanks. I have now told them that too. Wondered if they would ask for more hex commands, but perhaps that example will do after all.
They were a bit slower to reply but still seem to be trying, so have asked directly if they would construct the Ortek code for URC6440.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one upgrade in that settings.bin file. It is setup code 3122, but it should be on the Extra button, since it is device type 3. It shoots PID 00B7, which is also present in my ARRX12G, as CD 0129. That's similar to the NEC1 executor, but at 33.5KHz.

I haven't tried the settings.bin file with the OARUSB04G yet.
tranx

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
There is only one upgrade in that settings.bin file. It is setup code 3122, but it should be on the Extra button, since it is device type 3. It shoots PID 00B7, which is also present in my ARRX12G, as CD 0129. That's similar to the NEC1 executor, but at 33.5KHz....
Thanks, yes in that first bin file I had failed to do the additional 'direct' allocation of 3122 to the Extra button. Therefore I explained that and provided 6440 bin files 'A' and 'B'.

I have done it again, resulting in 6440 bin file 'C' http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12507

In simpleset 'restore' was used, this was copied into remote, then upload repeated in Simpleset, then 3122 entered with Simpleset by 'I know the code', downloaded and copied to 6440, then 3122 entered directly to device Extra.

As would be expected, following that the Extra Device of 6440 behaves the same as it did for 6440 bin file 'B', uploaded earlier, which should also have 3122 on the Extra button, but all I can tell is that only the Ch+ and Ch- buttons light up when pressed in Extra device mode.

Does that mean it might not just be shooting Tivo codes as mdavej deduced?
tranx

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
....I haven't tried the settings.bin file with the OARUSB04G yet...
With OARUSB04G, I tried to repeat the same procedure as was done to produce 'C' (restore done in Simpleset etc.) but 3122 could not be used as the 'I know the code' for the device Audio, it just hung up.

Therefore 3122 it was appled to STB (as mdavej had indicated was needed) in Simpleset, and found the code 3122 could then be applied directly to the STB button.

That was apparently successful, but in STB mode, (unlike 3122 applied directly to Extra for URC6440) all the buttons lit up when pressed (not just Ch+ and Ch-)...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12509
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
Yes it was a typo in the bin file description, corrected now. Thanks for the quick confirmations.

Will go ahead and report to OFA support that it does not work with Ortek and that it shoots Tivo codes, and ask them to have another look at the example of the Ortek protocol which you provided in pronto hex.

mjdave, I have finally received replies to the two latest enquiries I made to OFA uk. As already reported, they seemed to want to help at first but have now said
after all, that they can't 'because OARUSB04 is a US model'.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Thanks for following up.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the experts, both OARUSBO4 and URC6440 can now use JP1 with RMIR v.2.03, which is currently in alpha 24d.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15638

When configured with JP1 some of the functional differences between 6440 and OARUSB04 have gone, and DSMs have been made available Laughing
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the UK version of this remote have preset code roku? Not for me, someone in the roku forum:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73432
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK version is the URC-6440. It does not have Roku codes built in. However, by going to www.Simpleset.com, and sending the settings.bin file from the remote to the website, it will prepare a new settings.bin file which includes setup codes Cable 2371, 3061, 4410, and 1486.

2371 (NEC 190.239) is the code used for the Roku HD1100 and N1000. Maybe it also works for newer Roku units. Our upgrade here for the Roku 3 shoots NEC2 234.194, and I believe that is derived from the OEM remote.

Setup codes 3061 and 4410 shoot 234.194, but with a wrinkle. They send two IR signals: a single frame of OBC followed by repeating frames of the same OBC except bit 7 is turned on. So for example, using 3061, the OK/Select button is sent as OBC 42 (one frame) followed by frames of OBC 204. Note that 204 = 128+42. Since UEI has written a new protocol executor to send these signals, I assume that this is the correct way to send commands to a Roku 3. I believe that OFA expects 3061 to be the correct setup code, and the US version (OARUSB04G) has 3061 built in.

Anyway, the setup codes aren't built in to the URC-6440, but it is very easy to add the setup codes to the remote using the Micro USB cable which is shipped with the remote.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a note to say that there is now an extender available for the URC-6440. Among many other things it expands the remote from four devices to eight and from two combo modes to four. Please see this announcement of URC-6440 Extender v1.00 for more details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: