JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Step away for a while and look what you guys did! (HELP!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Step away for a while and look what you guys did! (HELP!) Reply with quote

I can't really call myself a newbie, since almost all of my remotes have been modified with JP1. All this talk of TOADTogs and such has me feeling like a newbie, though.

For about the last year (I think?) I've been using a non-JP1 remote as the main remote because it had so many buttons and had learning. (Kenwood R0813) My wife put up with it and it had a good feel in the hands.

Recently, we've decided to dump satellite (and TiVo along with it) and use only Replay. That puts us in the (un)enviable position of having a RTV5K and RTV3K unit in the same room. I've tried explaining power toggling to my wife, but it confuses her to have the TV switch to an input that is blank.

Where this all leads is to hope I can have my hand held in setting up the RTV5K remote as our main remote. My wife said she was tired of having so many buttons on the remote and I saw that the 5K remote had a JP1 connector. It only has two device buttons, but I saw that there exists an extender to allow more devices. For simplicity's sake, I think I'll only put the TV and both Replays on the remote. (The DVD, VCR and receiver will remain only on the Kenwood.......for now.)

Basically, what I'm asking for is how to set up the key moves and macros in IR4.02 (using the R5K extended RDF) so that I end up with a SIMPLE keypress to select which Replay. (Something like "ReplayTV" + "1") for the 3K and "ReplayTV" + "2" for the 5K) I didn't see that TOADTogs were available in the R5K extender, since that would be the be best way to have the remote know which Replay was being viewed. (TV input cycle: TV -> SVid1 -> SVid2 -> TV...)
VPT is a given.
TV is RCA (code 0047)

As a proud geek, I should be ashamed Embarassed for asking for this help, but she's asked repeatedly why I'm spending so much time on the computer today. (I've been researching how-to.)

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's simplicity you're after, I would recommend using the R3k remote.

I don't have time right now to help you out, but if nobody else has jumped in before the next time I'm on the net, I'll try to help you.
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of her protests, I jumped back on and figured things out.
We now have a 5K remote that operates the TV and both the 3K and 5K Replays. (VPT=TV, "Replay" + "1"=R3K, "Replay"+"2"=R5K)

The biggest stumbling block was with getting the TV to work. After repeated attempts to load it a modified 0047 device, I finally realized that the device code in KM needed to be 15, not the 240 that shows as the default. (Is this an error in KM 8.16?)

As I also learned, the R5K extender does not offer LKP or TOADTogs, which significantly reduced the amount of programming necessary (possible) to get things up and running. Given the R5K's limited number of buttons, I doubt effort will ever be put forth to make such an extender, either. (Or maybe it's just a limitation of the hardware?)

Thanks for the offer, anyway, Rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: