JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Review of OARUSB04G vs. URC6440 (revised)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Review of OARUSB04G vs. URC6440 (revised) Reply with quote

OARUSB04G vs. URC6440 - corrections or additions would be appreciated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both remotes have big buttons, automatic backlighting, and send powerful IR signals. The main difference between them is the way they handle macros
- When using 995 to set them up, URC6440 macros can go on most of the buttons except AV, Text, or device buttons, but OARUSB4G macros can only go onto non-numeric buttons. With that method up to eight macros are feasible with either version.

- Only OARUSB04G's macros can be set up by using its unusual List/macro button method, but then they can only go on the numeric buttons and are limited to six in number, and the 995 method cannot be used concurrently. To send a macro which has been set up by this method it requires the List/macro button first to be held for >3 seconds, before pressing the button chosen to send the macro.

The macros were mainly intended for the Tv therefore modes 'Watch Tv' and 'Watch Movie' were each dedicated to one of the two different PVRs (together with the TV), so that their native commands could be issued in Combi/Activity mode without being overidden by TV Mode's macros.

Then found that, with both OARUSB04G and URC6440, although macros are global in effect when set up, other commands can sometimes be learned 'on top' of the corresponding buttons of other devices (later found that, perhaps this was just for macros on the non-numeric buttons?), to render the original macros device specific. That also seems unusual but could be handy when there are really too few spare buttons for the method of linking macros to particular action buttons by keymoves.

Support from email@uebv.com for 6440 in uk has been excellent. For OARUSB04G http://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/app/account/questions/detail/i_id/403716 was helpful by revealing that Simpleset.com development continues for that, and by kindly providing a preview of the unpublished OARUSBG manual: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12385

The supplied USB lead gives access via PC to Simpleset.com but, luckily in its present state, that is not essential. It did somehow seem to help to get some additional device codes into memory, but was unreliable with OARUSB which sometimes crashed. Otherwise connection by USB has been most useful for saving .bin files to PC at each step which succeeded, and for cloning configurations.

OARUSB04G's List/macro can work as a dual function button. A short press issues the List command according to the current device's set up code, but I cannot see how this could be changed to issue a different command even from that command set, or perhaps from another. Upon releasing a longer press another command can be issued if it has been allocated to the List button with an EFC (that happens before getting to the double blink which is to do with setting up the novel macro function, described above, which seemed too clumsy).

Contrary to the manual the Setup/WatchTv button can learn so it, and the WatchMovie/Learn button, can carry their respective Tv input commands, and the AudioInput button can carry a macro, at least if it is applied with the 995 instruction which had been used successfully for 6440.

Channel Lock/Unlock 973 does not seem to work so, for OARUSB04G, with the WatchMovie combi-mode you can only send the Tv's channel up/down commands, which seems to be a bug, although you can use the device mode to get around it, and the 974 commands do work.

Paradoxically the discipline imposed by the relative shortage of buttons turns out to make these remotes even nicer to use, simply because the locations of extra functions are rendered easy to remember and to find.

Although these remotes are currently not JP1-able they are quick and easy to set up by making some written notes http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12446 In future, if RMIR could be used, it might be most useful for OARUSB04G to get around the restrictions upon programming the macros, the unusual List/macro and Audio Input button functions, and perhaps to adjust the channel +/- punch through. With both versions it would be useful to see what is going on but in practice a couple of charts served just as well.

If you only need four devices, or can make do with mixtures of devices, I reckon these remotes offer definite improvements over the older OFA/URC 7960 and 7962. The earlier favourite URC7950 has shifted keys, but URC6440 is preferred for its first class buttons, layout, and backlighting.

Last edited by tranx on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Tranx. Lots of great info.

I think what we need to get the ball rolling on getting this to work with Remote Master is a device upgrade from One-for-all support. Since you seem to have a good line of communication open, try this. Save your current file from the web site. Then ask support for an upgrade for an Ortek VRC-1100 (Media Center Remote). I'm pretty certain there is no built in code, but they should have the device upgrade available. After they add the file to your config or send you a file, we can then compare the two to see how an upgrade is constructed and also compare it to what we know about other remotes.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej, thanks. At http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15142 we posted some bin files which might be of some use. At this stage, to elucidate the thing about the comparison you mentioned, some p.m's between experts might be best, because I gather that a lot has been done already. I couldn't keep up, but would be pleased to do some more basic stuff, if needed

Yes Uk support for 6440 email@uebv.com has been very good and I will ask for a code (equivalent to an 'upgrade'?) for Ortek and post the bin files. I believe that 'adding a file to my config' might require the remote to be sent off to URC, but haven't seen that mentioned for 6440 or in uk.

Regards
Chris
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
... ask support for an upgrade for an Ortek VRC-1100 (Media Center Remote)....
mdavej, support email@uebv.com said "...We don't have any code..." for the Ortek VRC-1100. "...Could you provide us the model number of the original remote control?..."
- so if you can provide that I would pass it on and ask again.

Re. setting up Combinations/Activities
I think it was vox support who provided the following extra information, but note that it does not actually rule out the apparent bug, which involves the Channel +/- and 'Last Channel' commands being punched through from the Tv device to the WMV Combi mode:-

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the model number of the remote. It's a generic remote for a PC, so there is no device model number. Alternate remote model numbers are Adesso ARC-1100 or Hama 00052451 (most likely model number in the UK). The goal is to get them to give you any upgrade for a device that doesn't already exist in the remote. So if you can think of any other such device, that could be used instead of the one I suggested.
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
....Alternate remote model numbers are Adesso ARC-1100 or Hama 00052451 (most likely model number in the UK)...
Ok will offer those and report again
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
That is the model number of the remote. It's a generic remote for a PC, so there is no device model number. Alternate remote model numbers are Adesso ARC-1100 or Hama 00052451 (most likely model number in the UK). The goal is to get them to give you any upgrade for a device that doesn't already exist in the remote. So if you can think of any other such device, that could be used instead of the one I suggested.

They said: 'The model number of your device is not yet known in our database and therefore I cannot be sure of the right code for it. Nevertheless, the following code(s) work(s) with similar models:
PVR 1272. If it doesn t work : The code to try for the make and model number of your device is : DVD 2202. The code is not in the memory of your One For All, however, if you connect your remote control to the computer via the USB...the simpleset. (www.simpleset.com)...follow the instructions given...you still need to set them up...outlined below:
1. Hold down the Setup key until the light blinks once and then twice
2. Press the relevant device key
3. Enter the code"

mdavej, please let me know if it works wth any of the devices you mentioned, or not, one way or the other - so I can pass that info back to OFA.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's exactly what we want. I'll connect later today and test 2202. It doesn't even matter if it works. All that matters is that they loaded a new device that wasn't in the remote before. Now we can load DVD 2202 and see what the upgrade looks like.

FYI, 1272 won't work of course, because it's MCE protocol, not Ortek.
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Thanks. That's exactly what we want. I'll connect later today and test 2202...All that matters is that they loaded a new device that wasn't in the remote before....1272 won't work of course, because it's MCE protocol, not Ortek.

So I can reply to OFA, who have been helpful, would you kindly say if 2202 worked for Ortek, or as a generic remote code for a PC?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. DVD 2202 appears to be more MCE codes, not Ortek. So this did give us a new device to look at, but it doesn't work with my device. If they are willing to keep trying, tell them it uses the Ortek protocol, not MCE.

Here's a sample of an Ortek command in pronto hex, if they'd like to analyze it:
Arrow Up Device Code: 21 Function: 21
0000 006B 000B 000B 004A 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0013 0013 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0013 0013 0025 0013 073D 004A 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0013 0013 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0025 0013 0013 0025 0025 0025 0013 073D

My settings file with the new device is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12479

Thanks
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
...DVD 2202 appears to be more MCE codes, not Ortek. So this did give us a new device to look at, but it doesn't work with my device. If they are willing to keep trying, tell them it uses the Ortek protocol, not MCE.....
Thanks for the info and hex codes which I have passed to OFA in case they can analyse it. Cheers
tranx

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFA has responded to say 'We have a new code to try for the make and model number of your device Ortek VRC 1110 : Video Acc 3122' and referred to the procedure on simpleset.com for choosing the manufacturer of the device, presumably to obtain the codes for Ortek so they can be installed via the resulting bin file, followed by entering the code manually as usual.

That reminded me how, with OARUSB04, I needed to choose Humax from the list of manufacturers in simpleset before the codes for the (uk) Humax9300 and FoxsatHDR could be entered successfully.

They did not say but I wonder if they did analyse the pronto hex which you provided...

Hope this will be of use and if you would kindly report if it works I can feed that back to OFA.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

"Ortek" is not is showing up as a brand choice on the US site at least. "Video Acc" isn't an option either as a device type. I was able to enter STB code 3122 manually, but that shoots Tivo codes. No luck yet.

Could you ask them to add it to the North American site?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tranx just download the settings.bin file from the UK site, and post the file here?
tranx

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
"Ortek" is not is showing up as a brand choice on the US site at least. "Video Acc" isn't an option either as a device type. I was able to enter STB code 3122 manually, but that shoots Tivo codes. No luck yet.

Could you ask them to add it to the North American site?
Hi mdavej

Right, Ortek does not show up as a brand choice, but 3122 can be added for URC6440, in simpleset.com, to any device type, with:-
Home> Remote Setup> Add a Device> Select Brand> More Options> I know my code.

Is that what you meant by 'adding it manually', and were you indeed referring to URC6440?

1.) - if so I could certainly report to OFA support that it does not work and, as you said, that it shoots Tivo codes, and ask them to have another look at the example of the Ortek protocol which you provided in pronto hex.

2.) If by the 'North American' site you meant 'for OARUSB04G', I have already found that OFA say they cannot provide support for that.

Annoyingly I also seem to remember that, although Vox support did provide the preview of the unpublished OARUSB04 manual, they then insisted on referring me to their US remote support site, who said they could not provide support for OARUSB04G outside USA.

With OARUSB04G I found that simpleset.com and 'I know the code'> 3122 just hung up. However it it did seem to do something with URC6440, while I couldn't test the result with Ortek and am not sure if you have an example of the URC6440 remote or not....

if you can confirm that you were able to use simpleset.com with URC6440 and Home> Remote Setup> Add a Device> Select Brand> More Options> "I know my code", I could certainly do 1.).

Regards
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: