JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying to build a .bin file for a Slingbox and am stuck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Trying to build a .bin file for a Slingbox and am stuck Reply with quote

Hello, very new to this so please could someone help.

I am trying to learn how to create .bin files for remotes that are missing from the Slingbox setup list and am following some very detailed instructions found on this forum.

I went out looking for a JP1 cable but came up short so opted to buy a new one for all remote which had a cable with it.

It's a URC8610 and the cable is a mini USB to USB, not a JP1 cable. I have installed the IR.exe v 8.04 but it can't see the remote.

Is there a newer version of this software or an alternate which can detect the newer one for all remote controls?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an Alpha version of RemoteMaster can work with the URC-8610. If you are interested in using this, PM me. You'll need to start by downloading and installing RemoteMaster 2.02a .
angel21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am still getting head around this but so far I have got as far as trying to pull the remote data onto my pc using ir.exe.

If I read a little further in the instructions it does mention remotemaster but I having problems getting ir.exe to recognise the URC-8610 remote.

Is the a way to do this, am I totally missing the point???
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little history may help here. For years, JP1 folks used IR.exe to communicate with remotes, and RemoteMaster to assemble upgrades. A couple of years ago, RemoteMaster was enhanced so that it can communicate with remotes as well as assemble upgrades. Development of IR.exe stopped at that time (other than a mod to allow a old-style parallel interface to work with modern Windows), and all development is being done with Remotemaster. We frequently refer to the newer versions of RemoteMaster as RMIR to indicate that it can communicate with remotes. It is written in Java and can run under Windows, Linux, or Mac OSX.

IR.exe only works with JP1 through JP1.3 remotes. It does not support JP1.4, JP2, JP3, or USB interface remotes like the URC-8610. Version 2.02a supports JP1 through JP3, and I can send you a file which augments 2.02a so that it will work with the URC-8610.

I assume that you want to learn signals with the URC-8610, and incorporate those into a bin file. It's easy to get the learned signals from the URC-8610 using RMIR, and impossible with IR.exe.
angel21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks for that, I get it totally now.

Will PM you now about getting the latest version of RM.
angel21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, getting there now.

Have installed RemoteMaster v2.02a. Just need the ability for it to see my URC-8610 remote.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your messages, please.
angel21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a message to your email address, did you not get it?
angel21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to come back and say I managed this in the end, once I had all the latest versions of the software it was pretty straight forward albeit quite a monotonous process.

@3FG, many thanks for your help.

As a summary, I managed to get the remote codes learned from an OFA URC8610 that I bought from Maplins in the UK for £40.

I downloaded RemoteMaster 2.02a and installed both the .exe and Java versions. This took a while to get working and I found through trial and error that if I installed the .exe first and the ran the Java app then It loaded, otherwise it didn't.

Once installed all you have to do is download the RFDs and Maps from this forum and create folders for them within the Application folder. When you launch the app for the first time you are asked where they are and then it works from the destinations you tell it.

3FG very kindly supplied me with an upgrade to the Java App and some RDFs to enable my particular OFA remote to be recognised.

I downloaded the Learned remote commands, created a new upgrade and manually filled in all the commands from one to the other. Did try copy/paste but couldn't get that to work.

A fair bit of guess work, some trial and error and I finally managed to get a .bin file for use on a Slingbox Pro HD.!!!

Result!
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your final task is to share it with the community for other users. Very Happy

Zip up PL & RV Bin files and upload it on the File Section with the Manufacturer and Model Number as the title. I also include installation instructions, just pointing to:

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-file-on-slingbox-500-and-350/

and

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/sling-player-remotes/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-files-on-slingboxes-other-than-the-350500-1/
angel21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will, just I left out a few functions so as soon as I have been through again and created a complete remote .bin I will share it.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that it worked, and we appreciate the report.

May I encourage you to go ahead and submit the bin files you have now? It is easy to change the file later by going to the download page, and clicking the edit button, which is available for your own submissions.

The reason I ask this is based on experience here. When we search this forum for the IR signals for a component, surprisingly often the trail ends with "I'll upload soon. Just need to add a couple of improvements."
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The reason I ask this is based on experience here. When we search this forum for the IR signals for a component, surprisingly often the trail ends with "I'll upload soon. Just need to add a couple of improvements."

And not surprisingly, it's 1 year later and still no files have been uploaded by angel21
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: