JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trouble establishing communication with remote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Trouble establishing communication with remote Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

It's been quite a while since I've "JP1-ed" any, since my, my in-laws' and my sister's setups have been static for a couple of years, and nobody has required any changes, so my JP1-ing skills have atrophied tremendously!

But this Thanksgiving, I'll be visiting all of the above, and the remotes I've left them with several years ago are in need of updating/replacement, so I thought I'd dust off the old JP1 skills to set them up again.

My computers have all upgraded several iterations, and I have not kept up with the JP1 software & hardware changes (although i have been an interested reader regarding the XSight Touch developments!).

So here's the situation:
Running Win 7-64 on an HP dv7 laptop;
I have Tommy Tyler usb cables: One for JP1, one of his early Jp1.2/1.2 USB cables;
It took me a few iterations in the drivers section, but I finally got the computer to recognize and install drivers for both interfaces. The cables are recognized by the computer every time I plug them in.
Downloaded, RMIR, RDFs, Maps & Images, Extenders for the remotes I'm working on.
For RMIR, I run it by clicking on the remotemaster.jar file directly (I never bother with the program list business).
RMIR starts up just fine, I have the main window, all the tabs work, I've pointed it to the RDf and map & image directories.

I do not have a JP1 remote on hand, so cannot tell whether that connection works, but when i connect a JP1.3 remote (Cox URC 7820 labelled JP1.3) with the Flash cable, RMIR cannot "find" the remote ("No remote found"). In fact, the "Download from/Upload to remote" selections are grayed out in the dropdown menu.

What have I overlooked?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight update: I broke down and downloaded IR (which is all I had previously used, but want to give RMIR a chance)

Initially IR didn't work either. Then I took every *.dll and *.sys file in the IR installation directory and copied them to the windows and windows/system directories.

IR now works with my Flash insterface, but RMIR still does not.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR has come a long way since you've been Missing , but IR is still my go to software, since it has a few features that I use regularly that are still missing in RMIR.

I went through this same exercise last April, and I guess I really should have documented what went on, because it was not a lot of fun.

First problem I had was running the setup.vbs, there was some special way to enter this in the cmd box. You really want the individual icons and all the file associations to be setup correctly so that you can open files with just a click. I had googled this in general, and found that I needed to type some exe followed by setup.vbs.

Then I ended up with your problem where everything was greyed out. Turns out that even thought it was supposed to be Autodetecting (I had selected that once) it was changing the interface selection to Parallel. It was pretty evident when I opened the RMError.err file and could see it test all the interfaces, find some but not open them.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: