JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beta Test: Using JP1 (EEPROM) with 64-bit Vista/Win7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure, but I think the problem is our Delcom USB drivers are not digitally signed. Actually we didn't write the WinUSB drivers--Microsoft did; we only generated the CAT and INF files that provide the information to Windows to associate the Delcom USB interface to WinUSB. With XP, the OS didn't care that the CAT/INF files weren't signed. With Vista/Win7, the OS complained, but allowed the user to continue with the installation. As I understand it from reading the web, Win8 won't allow installation with unsigned CAT/INF files, even though the WinUSB files themselves are signed by Microsoft.

Why aren't the Delcom WinUSB drivers signed? Because at the time we generated these, it cost $2000 to get a certificate. It appears that the cost of the certificate may have fallen to around $200 now, but I don't remember how to construct the CAT and INF files anymore. So there is likely quite a bit of labor involved also.

Of course, we don't know for sure if signed drivers would provide a functioning interface in Win 8, or with the newer hardware that is likely being used with Win8.
Bones357

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, and thanks for the quick response.

I tried to fire up my old XP laptop to handle it, but the display is toast.

It irritates me that the Windows developers feel we are too stupid to make changes to our own systems.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how to disable the digital signature nonsense in Win 8:

http://sixcolumns.com/t/how-to-disable-and-bypass-driver-signature-enforcement-in-windows-8/151/2
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: