JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

irdb: a crowd-sourced infrared code database

View previous topic :: View next topic  
probono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: irdb: a crowd-sourced infrared code database Reply with quote

Here is a project I am working on:
http://irdb.tk/

Not specifically targeting JP1 remotes, but remote control codes in general. Also provides an online translator to convert between the different IR code representations.

There is an API as well.

This is a work in progress, so I'd appreciate your feedback.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great so far. Nice work. I'll dig into it later and try to give you some feedback.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Web based tools. I'll take a look with my android tablet and iphone browser later on.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi probono,

nice achievement.

It is always hard to give sensible feedback on ambitious projects, without spending all day. But I try to say something...

It may be worthwhile to point out to the user that your data base contains codes in protocol/parameter format (a word that needs explaining) and the computation of the rendered code is done in realtime using my IrpMaster library. Also, since you are appears to be using DecodeIR and ExchangeIR (possibly through my libraries), I think John Fine and Graham (mathdon) also should be given credit.

I will definitely be writing some stuff in the future that interfaces with your stuff, both the irdb-api and the Arduino stuff.

As it stands right now, I unfortunately thing the thing is of somewhat limited usability, at least for the non-expert. Say that I am looking for IR codes for a particular model, venor and model number (and deviice type). I give in the manufactorer, and get a number of devices, ordered after device type (useful) and device numbers, in the sense of IRP. This is not useful at all for the non-expert, he wants to enter a model number, and get its command. If you have to know device and subdevice, you may already possess an IR-Widget, suitable software and knowledge. Also, for example AVR receivers from Yamaha or Denon often uses approximately the same commands for different models, but the semantics may vary between the models.

I am not saying "useless" or such, just that a D, S-oriented DB is of limited use.

But a great achivement, dispite of my minor points.
probono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barf for your feedback which I will incorporate. I have expanded the acknowledgments on the about page.

If possible, I would like to get away with not explicitly dealing with model numbers, since often a whole class of devices of the same manufacturer share the same set of codes. This probably means that the end user needs to try different sets of codes, but I think that is an acceptable price to pay for having a much, much more compact database.

I agree that the retrieval of codes needs to be streamlined for the non-technical user, without talking about technical stuff like protocols too much. Possibly a set of client-side scripts to retrieve, test, and submit codes would be the easiest to use for the non-expert. There is an API that should make this sort of things possible.

Then, for the expert, I will probably make codes accessible over a simple URL scheme that can easily be linked to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: