JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05BR not allowing macro to be bound to Shift-DVR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBMC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: RCRP05BR not allowing macro to be bound to Shift-DVR? Reply with quote

Hello, I have a rcrp05br remote that will not allow me to program a macro to the shifted dvr button. The option is grayed out in rmir. I figure something is walking on the memory spot where the shifted dvr button would be. Here is the file. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11844 Thanks in advance.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVR button is button number $41, while all other physical buttons are $3F or less. So shifting it (which adds $80) to the button number is I believe disallowed by RMIR. That's appropriate for many remotes, but I don't know about the RCRP05B. You could try manually fiddling with the macro command in IR. To do that, I would set up a macro in RMIR using DVR as the bound key, enabling highlighting in the Advanced menu, click on that macro in the right most column (Macro tab) and then look for the colored bytes on the Raw tab. Upload to the remote, download to IR, and edit the same sequence of bytes in IR, changing 41 to C1. Then upload and see if it works.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG has the basis for the restriction correct. the button value for DVR is $42 and the shift adds (actually a logical OR but who's counting) $80 to the button value to distinguish the shift.

I don't see this restriction on the unextended remote, and it should not be there (I am looking at the RDF) since the value of $C2 ($42 + $80) is not used elsewhere.

But on the extended remote the value of $C2 is used by another key value since the XShift function adds (OR's) $C0 to the key value.

Are you using the extender?
CBMC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening the ir file in ir.exe I am able to add a macro bound to shift-dvr. Like you suggested, it changes the value from $42 to $C2. Not sure why I can't do this in rmir.exe. No big deal though.
Raptor88

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBMC wrote:
Opening the ir file in ir.exe I am able to add a macro bound to shift-dvr. Like you suggested, it changes the value from $42 to $C2. Not sure why I can't do this in rmir.exe. No big deal though.

I'm just going to start JP1.3 programming on a RCRP05BR when I receive it an the USB cable I ordered. I was planning to use RM-IR and follow the steps in "JP1- Just how easy is it?".

But this post lists a limitation of RM-IR and I remember reading where Vickyg2003 said she prefers IR instead of RM-IR (don't remember why.)

For experienced JP1.3 programmers, would you recommend that I use IR instead of RM-IR? Is RM-IR easier to learn than IR?

Thanks,
Raptor
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor88 wrote:
CBMC wrote:

I'm just going to start JP1.3 programming on a RCRP05BR when I receive it an the USB cable I ordered. I was planning to use RM-IR and follow the steps in "JP1- Just how easy is it?".

But this post lists a limitation of RM-IR and I remember reading where Vickyg2003 said she prefers IR instead of RM-IR (don't remember why.)

For experienced JP1.3 programmers, would you recommend that I use IR instead of RM-IR? Is RM-IR easier to learn than IR?

Thanks,
Raptor
It's not a limitation. It's a safety feature that IR lacks. Maybe it's too safe, in this case. But that prohibition is there by design.

Us old timers perfer IR for some things, but it's no longer being developed, and RMIR has many more features, so may as well learn it and get used to it. RMIR is easier to use an to learn than IR, and is fully integrated with RM. Any many newer JP1 remotes won't work with IR at all, only with RMIR. I can't think of any good reason for a new user to still use IR.
Raptor88

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
It's not a limitation. It's a safety feature that IR lacks. Maybe it's too safe, in this case. But that prohibition is there by design.

Us old timers perfer IR for some things, but it's no longer being developed, and RMIR has many more features, so may as well learn it and get used to it. RMIR is easier to use an to learn than IR, and is fully integrated with RM. Any many newer JP1 remotes won't work with IR at all, only with RMIR. I can't think of any good reason for a new user to still use IR.

Hi mdavej,

Thank you for sharing your valuable insight. I'll go ahead and use RM-IR.

Raptor
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor88 wrote:

Wow, Raptor88, you have been studying. Both RMIR and IR are GREAT tools.
I like IR better, but RMIR has come a long way. RMIR has come a long way, but it is just plain to device centric for me.

RMIR has several advantages.
1) Its the only one that will work with the newest remotes.
2) It is portable and will run on Non-windows sections
3) It is great for keeping all your information together in one place. (I like this so much that I reorgaized all my IR and RDMU files into folders for each viewing area.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Raptor88

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Raptor88 wrote:

Wow, Raptor88, you have been studying. Both RMIR and IR are GREAT tools.
I like IR better, but RMIR has come a long way. RMIR has come a long way, but it is just plain to device centric for me.

I see. I'll start with RMIR and if I have some device centric problems, I'll give IR a try.

Quote:
RMIR has several advantages.
1) Its the only one that will work with the newest remotes.
2) It is portable and will run on Non-windows sections
3) It is great for keeping all your information together in one place. (I like this so much that I reorgaized all my IR and RDMU files into folders for each viewing area.

Thanks for the additional info,
Raptor
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an RCRP05BR and have now run into this same issue. The only apparent reason not to allow shift-DVR is when using an extender, which I'm not. It sucks having to go back to IR to set up this key. Is there a better solution (edit RDF?), or can we fix RMIR?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: