JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it possible to swap PIP on TV and DVR w/ RCA RCRP05BR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebrain

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Is it possible to swap PIP on TV and DVR w/ RCA RCRP05BR Reply with quote

Is it possible to swap PIP on TV and DVR w/ RCA RCRP05BR

The RCA RCRP05BR has PIP , swap, move and channel + -.

My TV only has one tuner so if I want to use PIP (like watch two football games simultaneously). I have to use my Magnavox DVR’s tuner.

The Mag. tuner Is the primary large picture, the TV tuner is the secondary Small picture.

I currently use two remotes to swap picture from Pri to Sec. and vice versa.

The TV is’nt quite that bad because it’s remote has a return to last channel, however the Mags. Remote dosen’t so I’m forced to think what was the last channel.

So if it is possible to swap PIP on TV and DVR w/ RCA RCRP05BR minimizing the # of current keystrokes (which is actually two for first swap any two to revert swap that’s w/ two remotes) would life easier for me.

When I initialley got the RCA two years ago I messed around a little
w/ the # of steps involved w/ building a macro to go into TV’s menu,cursor, high light, adjust, enter setting, just to be able to turn on the PIP that’s built into the TV I found there where to many steps for a marco if I remember correctly there where like 15 steps exceeding the RCA’s capabilitys.

I will review my attempt and supply more details of each required step.

I have actually been holding off on building the RCA marco’s (for TV, PC, Mag.,BD & Radio) until this PIP situation is resolved (because I intend on using these PIP buttons for the macros) remember I am using codes, as of now this is a none JP1 remote.

Thanks TB
thebrain

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm starting to think the RCA RCRP05BR can only swap PIP w/ a TV that has two tuners is this true or false?

actualley if I was able to use the swap function (on the Mag. which is the primary large picture) as a return to last channel that would make life easier for me since I don't have to then think of what channel I'm swapping to. ,

I can setup the two channels and swap away.

However the Mag. does'nt have a return to last channel feature.

Lastly could this PIP issuse I have be resolved w/ JP1 programming?

Thanks TB
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't understand what the problem is. Using learning or keymoves it should be easy enough to accomplish.

Of course with a cable this is all a lot easier.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ever your PIP works via the oem remote is how it can be made via the universal, if the tv only allows tv channels, and not inputs via the pip, thats what you're stuck with, sorry.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrain has a Samsung TV, and when I had a Samsung TV with PIP, I found there were lots of PIP commands that were not on the OEM remote.

For example there was a PIP Source button, and PIP Ch+ and Ch- buttons.

It sounds like STB has been winding his way through the menus, even though there may be discrete codes to change things for him.

These EFC's just might do some PIP function
00216 might change the source on the PIP
00217 might swap the big and small picture
00151 might ch+
00155 MIGHT BE CH-

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
phb1342

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: It's not as fun, but it can be done..... Reply with quote

In response to thebrain’s questions about using the RCA RCRP05BR remote to bridge the gap of Remotes for using PIP I can offer the following:

I have two TV setups and use the RCA RCRP05BR for each one. When I finally switched from analogue to digital HD, I was astounded to see that there were no 2-turner HD sets, at least that I could find. So even with the RCA RCRP05BR and JP1, using PIP/POP is not as smooth as before. But JP1 saves the day, for me.

TV1 is powered by the Cox SA Explorer 8240HDC, which itself is a PIP cable box. My TV also allows PIP/POP on non-HDMI inputs. Admittedly, I mostly use the 8240 PIP, but can also use the TV PIP/POP by itself and/or in conjunction. The key to this use is Device assignments to the RCA RCRP05BR and finding the needed codes to switch inputs and ch+/-, Audio Swap, etc. The device assignments are: Cable Box (HDMI), Tivo Series 2, TV-OTA, DVD player. My typical multi device PIP is Cable HDMI and Tivo non-HDMI, making the Tivo the second tuner, controlling everything with the RCA RCRP05BR, no second remote needed.

TV2 is powered by a Tivo Series 4 on HDMI (cable card and Tuning Adapter (ugh)), and a Tivo Series 2, a Basic Cable to antenna input, Sony Blu-Ray, Soundbar. All 5 Devices are programmed on the RCA RCRP05BR. For this setup, the TV PIP/POP function is used to achieve the two tuner effect. For this setup, as well as setup 1, I have many TV/Cable Box features cross-pollenated on the other devices, so for example, I can switch the TV Inputs, essential for creating the PIP experience, from any device using the RCA RCRP05BR.

Here’s the catch, as I see it: I don’t know how much of this can be achieved with just using EFC assignments as compared to using a jp1 cable. Since I have always had a jp1 cable, I rely on it. I’ve customized quite a few jp1 forum files to ‘mix & match’ device characteristics and add in codes that the OEM Remote didn’t have (as Vicky pointed out…) However, I do have some direct assignments and some learning mixed in to both these setups.

thebrain: if any of this sounds like some strategy you could use, I would be happy to give you more specifics and step by step; just ask.
thebrain

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
TheBrain has a Samsung TV, and when I had a Samsung TV with PIP, I found there were lots of PIP commands that were not on the OEM remote.

It sounds like STB has been winding his way through the menus, even though there may be discrete codes to change things for him.

00151 might ch+
00155 MIGHT BE CH-

Vicky I've got partiale functionality w/ PIP.
w/ my current watch TV marco that turns on TV & AVR, I then manualley pressing these buttons. (which will eventually be my PIP macro)

1. mode DVD (which is Mag.)
2.main power
3.press - (dash key which I have programmed as HDMI4 which is where the Mag. is physcially plugged in).
This brings up the Mags. tuner as primary picture.
4.mode TV
5.PIP
I cannot swap PIP pictures yet. I can return to last channel in the secondary (small) PIP.
I'll try the EFC 00217 programmed to the swap button
but which device??
Tap TV or Mag. (DVD)
1) Press Setup until the remote blinks twice
2) Enter 994 (2 blinks)
3) Tap Setup
4) Enter 00217
5) Tap swap button

I can channel up & down the secondary PIP.

I cannot move PIP (I can live w/ that since I allready have the PIP in it's desired spot, If I feel like moving it I'll get out the orginale remote).

When I press the input key CEC brings up a source list and can choose the Mag. from there however this will invlove additionale nagivation press's so I'll reuse the input for another function.

Edit my Samsung OEM remote has no PIP buttons to use PIP functions they must be acsessed though the menu.
Thanks TB
thebrain

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: It's not as fun, but it can be done..... Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
In response to thebrain’s questions about using the RCA RCRP05BR remote to bridge the gap of Remotes for using PIP I can offer the following:

I have two TV setups and use the RCA RCRP05BR for each one. When I finally switched from analogue to digital HD, I was astounded to see that there were no 2-turner HD sets, at least that I could find. So even with the RCA RCRP05BR and JP1, using PIP/POP is not as smooth as before. But JP1 saves the day, for me.

TV1 is powered by the Cox SA Explorer 8240HDC, which itself is a PIP cable box. My TV also allows PIP/POP on non-HDMI inputs. Admittedly, I mostly use the 8240 PIP, but can also use the TV PIP/POP by itself and/or in conjunction. The key to this use is Device assignments to the RCA RCRP05BR and finding the needed codes to switch inputs and ch+/-, Audio Swap, etc. The device assignments are: Cable Box (HDMI), Tivo Series 2, TV-OTA, DVD player. My typical multi device PIP is Cable HDMI and Tivo non-HDMI, making the Tivo the second tuner, controlling everything with the RCA RCRP05BR, no second remote needed.

TV2 is powered by a Tivo Series 4 on HDMI (cable card and Tuning Adapter (ugh)), and a Tivo Series 2, a Basic Cable to antenna input, Sony Blu-Ray, Soundbar. All 5 Devices are programmed on the RCA RCRP05BR. For this setup, the TV PIP/POP function is used to achieve the two tuner effect. For this setup, as well as setup 1, I have many TV/Cable Box features cross-pollenated on the other devices, so for example, I can switch the TV Inputs, essential for creating the PIP experience, from any device using the RCA RCRP05BR.

Here’s the catch, as I see it: I don’t know how much of this can be achieved with just using EFC assignments as compared to using a jp1 cable. Since I have always had a jp1 cable, I rely on it. I’ve customized quite a few jp1 forum files to ‘mix & match’ device characteristics and add in codes that the OEM Remote didn’t have (as Vicky pointed out…) However, I do have some direct assignments and some learning mixed in to both these setups.

thebrain: if any of this sounds like some strategy you could use, I would be happy to give you more specifics and step by step; just ask.
Hello Phil
you'r second TV Tivo setup souds close to a strategy I could use.

I should mention that I don't have cable box. just OTA free antenna.

Maybe I could put either of my two PC tuners to work for PIP functions could this be a possiabilty?
Thanks TB
thebrain

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebrain wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

00151 might ch+
00155 MIGHT BE CH-

Vicky I've got partiale functionality w/ PIP.
w/ my current watch TV marco that turns on TV & AVR, I then manualley pressing these buttons. (which will eventually be my PIP macro)

1. mode DVD (which is Mag.)
2.main power
3.press - (dash key which I have programmed as HDMI4 which is where the Mag. is physcially plugged in).
This brings up the Mags. tuner as primary picture.
4.mode TV
5.PIP
I cannot swap PIP pictures yet. I can return to last channel in the secondary (small) PIP.
I'll try the EFC 00217 programmed to the swap button
but which device??

Thanks TB
I tryed the EFC 00217 for both TV and Mag. still can't swap.
TB
phb1342

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not as fun, but it can be done..... Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello Phil

Maybe I could put either of my two PC tuners to work for PIP functions could this be a possiabilty?
Thanks TB

I'd like to help, but I am a little confused. I could explain how I would use your setup with the RCA remote if you could help me with your info:
1. Do the commands that Vicky suggested work? Remember, it's the TV that has the PIP, you need to determine if you can use EFCs to swap from Pic 1 to Pic 2 and back.
2. Do you have anything connected to an HDMI input? It's likely that you can use only one HDMI input at a time in a PIP array. The second PIP desired source (probably) can't be on HDMI, but it (probably) can be any other input source you have hooked up to a non-HDMI input, including any other AV signal.
3. You can ask or lookup other commands for your TV in the jp1 files. For my TVs (Vizio) I found several PIP related commands in the jp1 files that neither my TV OEM remote had, or that were even available in the TV setup Menu. I use the following PIP related commands, all on the RCA Remote: PIP/POP on/off, Swap, PIP Ch+/-, PIP Audio Swap, Move, Size, PIP Input.
4. I also can change the PIP Pic 1 Input while in PIP mode.
5. By choice, I do not use any Macros that incorporate any of these commands, so I don't know if your desire to use Macros is complicated by adding in PIP related commands. In my case, I do use the Devices Buttons while in PIP to further refine my operation, if necessary.

If you would like to clarify how your inputs are set up, what PIP commands you have working, and the HDMI info, I could help you more, I think. Let me know.....
thebrain

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: It's not as fun, but it can be done..... Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
Quote:
Hello Phil

Thanks TB

I'd like to help, but I am a little confused. I could explain how I would use your setup with the RCA remote if you could help me with your info:
1. Do the commands that Vicky suggested work? The commands are premapped all work except the swap Remember, it's the TV that has the PIP, you need to determine if you can use EFCs to swap from Pic 1 to Pic 2 and back.I cannot swap PIP pictures yet. I can return to last channel in the secondary (small) PIP.
2. Do you have anything connected to an HDMI input? Yes all my devices are connected to my AVR though HDMI then out the HDMI into the TV It's likely that you can use only one HDMI input at a time in a PIP array. The second PIP desired source (probably) can't be on HDMI, but it (probably) can be any other input source you have hooked up to a non-HDMI input, including any other AV signal.Phil I think you mite be correct becauce when I press input only the HDMI devices are highlighted and can be selected.it mite be whorth a try to connect the Mag. to the AVR w/ a RCA cable not sure where to connect on the AVR?
3. You can ask or lookup other commands for your TV in the jp1 files. For my TVs (Vizio) I found several PIP related commands in the jp1 files that neither my TV OEM remote had, or that were even available in the TV setup Menu. I use the following PIP related commands, all on the RCA Remote: PIP/POP on/off, Swap, PIP Ch+/-, PIP Audio Swap, Move, Size, PIP Input.all workexcept swap.
4. I also can change the PIP Pic 1 Input while in PIP mode. are you returning to last channel? That's all I can do.
5. By choice, I do not use any Macros that incorporate any of these commands, so I don't know if your desire to use Macros is complicated by adding in PIP related commands. In my case, I do use the Devices Buttons while in PIP to further refine my operation, if necessary.I am currently manuelly entering in the PIP macro

If you would like to clarify how your inputs are set up, what PIP commands you have working, and the HDMI info, I could help you more, I think. Let me know.....
response in bold above.
edit: the TV is the small PIP and has return to last channel the Mag (DVR) is the primary Picture and doe'snt have return to last channel. this is why I have to use two remote controls the TVs and the Mags. and basically return to last channel on each.
Thanks TB
phb1342

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that not being able to swap pic 1 & 2 removes most of the purpose of PIP.

What Device Code are you using for your Samsung TV? I gave a quick look at the jp1 Lookup Tool, and it looks like Device Codes 1312, 1060 and 0812 (for example) have the most PIP commands. Have you tried these Codes in the RCA remote to verify that they don't work?
thebrain

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
It would seem that not being able to swap pic 1 & 2 removes most of the purpose of PIP.

What Device Code are you using for your Samsung TV? I gave a quick look at the jp1 Lookup Tool, and it looks like Device Codes 1312, 1060 and 0812 (for example) have the most PIP commands. Have you tried these Codes in the RCA remote to verify that they don't work?

this the code for the TV 0812 I believe the other two would'nt turn on the TV.

I think what the problem is, is that my TV only has one tuner, and the Mag. does'nt have a return to last channel.
TB
phb1342

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm stumped. Not being an expert at all, maybe my assumptions are incorrect.

The RCA remote does have Device Code 0812.....
Device Code 0812 has the requisite PIP commands........
Your TV DOES respond to some (most? a few?) of the 0812 commands.....

but not the PIP commands???

Have you tried to learn any commands from your TV Remote onto the RCA to see if that works?

Does your TV manual actually have a description of how the PIP is supposed to work??
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was stumped too. Then I went and found the manual for the TV and realized that the PIP function on this TV is totally different from PIP in my old Samsung TV.

On page 26 of the manual, PIP is described.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100906124359421/%5BPC550-ZA%5DBN68-02580A-05Eng.pdf

You can watch the TV tuner and one external video source
simultaneously. PIP (Picture-in-Picture) does not function in
the same mode.

The sub- picture is reserved for the TV tuner. The main picture is used for component, hdmi, dvi and PC inputs.

The PIP controls allow for

■ Air/Cable: Select either Air or Cable as the input source for the sub-screen.
■ Channel : Select the channel for the sub-screen.
■ Size : Select a size for the sub-picture.
■ Position : Select a position for the sub-picture.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: