JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05BR is there a way to get 21 steps per macro w/o JP1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raptor88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: RCRP05BR is there a way to get 21 steps per macro w/o JP1? Reply with quote

MY PROBLEM:
-----------------
We recently changed our cable subscription and now have a Cisco ISB7050 DVR with two Cisco ISB7000 set-top boxes. I have high frequency loss so sometimes I need to turn captions on/off. The problem is that the Cisco ISB7xxx units require 21 button presses to turn captions on and 20 button presses to turn captions off as follows:

Captions On (21 button presses):
Menu >>>> v Select vvvv Select > Select > v Select < ^ Select Exit Exit

Captions Off (20 button presses):
Menu >>>> v Select vvvv Select > Select > Select < ^ Select Exit Exit

Yes, it does require two presses of the EXIT button to return to normal viewing. It's totally ridiculous to force folks to do so many button presses just to turn captions on or off.

QUESTION:
-------------
Since 95% of TV that I watch is recorded on the DVR, I would like to buy a RCA RCRP05BR remote since it has the transport (VCR) controls toward the front of the remote where those buttons are easy to press. Plus the navigation buttons are just below making them easy to press also. (Great layout for DVR use.)

However, I believe that the RCRP05BR is limited to 15 or 16 steps per macro. Is there a way to get this remote to execute 21 steps per macro without having to do it with a JP1.x cable and software? Or maybe a way to get it to execute the captions command via a trick?

Thanks,
Raptor
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RCRP05BR is there a way to get 21 steps per macro w/o JP Reply with quote

Raptor88 wrote:
MY PROBLEM:
-----------------
We recently changed our cable subscription and now have a Cisco ISB7050 DVR with two Cisco ISB7000 set-top boxes. I have high frequency loss so sometimes I need to turn captions on/off. The problem is that the Cisco ISB7xxx units require 21 button presses to turn captions on and 20 button presses to turn captions off as follows:

Captions On (21 button presses):
Menu >>>> v Select vvvv Select > Select > v Select < ^ Select Exit Exit

Captions Off (20 button presses):
Menu >>>> v Select vvvv Select > Select > Select < ^ Select Exit Exit

Yes, it does require two presses of the EXIT button to return to normal viewing. It's totally ridiculous to force folks to do so many button presses just to turn captions on or off.

I use closed captions all the time. On the set-top-box its a ridiculous amount of presses. Even if you were to write a macro, holding it pointed at the box for all 20 keypresses would cause a lot of "user" errors, because the user points it away. With the Jp1 cable you could install an extender that would make the macro run really fast. And you could also have macros call other macros, so the 15 step limit is not an issue.

But I went a different way. On all of my TVs there is also a CC function. And most of them have a discrete code, so one button turns the captions on and off.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Raptor88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RCRP05BR is there a way to get 21 steps per macro w/o JP Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I use closed captions all the time. On the set-top-box its a ridiculous amount of presses. Even if you were to write a macro, holding it pointed at the box for all 20 keypresses would cause a lot of "user" errors, because the user points it away. With the Jp1 cable you could install an extender that would make the macro run really fast. And you could also have macros call other macros, so the 15 step limit is not an issue.

But I went a different way. On all of my TVs there is also a CC function. And most of them have a discrete code, so one button turns the captions on and off.

Hi Vickyg2003,

I used to use the CC function on our TV set but that only works if the video is connected via composite video since the closed captions are contained in the analog vertical sync signal. Our new cable subscription uses fiber optic cable and is 100% digital, so captions are only available via the set-top boxes and DVR.

If there's no trick to get the RCA RCRP05BR to execute 21 steps per macro, then I'll have to use the JP1 method to do what I need.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows if it's possible for a macro to call another macro using a RCRP05BR, please post the procedure. Then I could make a pre-macro with the first 15 steps which is common to turning captions on or off. Then make a "CAPTIONS ON" macro which first calls the pre-macro and then execute the remaining 6 steps. Similar for the "CAPTIONS OFF" macro.

Thanks for your help,
Raptor
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly what you want, but of course you can define a "CC On" macro split across two buttons and press then sequentially.

Perhaps a little more elegant is to use the Macro1 and Macro 2 buttons, which are multi-macro buttons. These allow you to assign up to 5 macros--each of which can have up to 15 steps. Each press of a multi macro button will cause the next macro in the sequence of 5 to run. So you would press Macro1, wait until the LED stopped flashing, and then press it again. I loaded up 15 and 7 step macros on a RCRP05B. It took about 7 seconds to run including the time it took me to press Macro1 a second time.

FWIW, I was able to upload a 25 step single macro to Macro2, without using an extender, but attempting to do this manually with 995 left no macro assigned to Macro2.
Raptor88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Not exactly what you want, but of course you can define a "CC On" macro split across two buttons and press then sequentially.

Perhaps a little more elegant is to use the Macro1 and Macro 2 buttons, which are multi-macro buttons. These allow you to assign up to 5 macros--each of which can have up to 15 steps. Each press of a multi macro button will cause the next macro in the sequence of 5 to run. So you would press Macro1, wait until the LED stopped flashing, and then press it again. I loaded up 15 and 7 step macros on a RCRP05B. It took about 7 seconds to run including the time it took me to press Macro1 a second time.

FWIW, I was able to upload a 25 step single macro to Macro2, without using an extender, but attempting to do this manually with 995 left no macro assigned to Macro2.

Hi 3FG,

Thanks much for taking the time to help out.

I think I might have found the remote that meets my desires. It's the URC-RF10. It has 50 steps per macro and has the navigation and transport buttons in easy to press positions. It also has "Shift" functionality which will double the amount of keys. No need for JP1 programming.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-MasterControl-RF10-Universal-Capability/dp/B000FL5OIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366685095&sr=1-1&keywords=urc+rf10

I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks,
Raptor
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: