JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Win7 32bit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
01sporty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Win7 32bit Reply with quote

My cable is a simple parallel cable that I got eons ago.

I just got a new computer with Win7 32 bit and can't get it to talk to the remote. I see a number of posts concerning Win7 64bit problems, does the 32bit have the same issues?

The computer has no parallel port built in so I installed an old PCI card I had lying around. There are no settings for parallel in the Bios.

In RMIR under Remote/Interface I tried Auto. When that didn't work I set it to parallel. In the Device Manager under Resources it lists the I/O as C050-C057 and C040-C047. I set the Other to C050.

None of this worked. Any suggestions as to what should be my next step?
Killer2600

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can offer much help as I've never worked with the parallel cable and the older JP1 remotes but right off the bat I can tell you those i/o addresses are not the standard parallel port addresses. LPT1 = 0x3BC-0x3BF, LPT2 = 0x378-0x37F, and LPT3 = 0x278-0x27F. Either reconfiguring your parallel card or IR (if either is even possible) will probably yield better results.

On a side note, how does one buy a NEW computer that doesn't have Win 7 64-bit? I haven't seen a Win 7 32-bit pre-installed computer for sale in ages and even then it was only in low budget netbooks, laptops, and refurbed or super cheap desktops.
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a computer for my mother. I went to the Dell BUSINESS side, where you can still get Win7 in 32-bit or 64-bit.

As far as LPT's, I had a similar issue. I think I had to manually enter the address of the port in IR. You can find the address in Windows Device Manager. For mine, it was CCC8.

Since I now have JP1.x remotes, I bought the USB cable, along with a small adapter that lets me use it with older JP1 remotes.
01sporty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer2600 wrote:
I don't think I can offer much help as I've never worked with the parallel cable and the older JP1 remotes but right off the bat I can tell you those i/o addresses are not the standard parallel port addresses. LPT1 = 0x3BC-0x3BF, LPT2 = 0x378-0x37F, and LPT3 = 0x278-0x27F. Either reconfiguring your parallel card or IR (if either is even possible) will probably yield better results.

On a side note, how does one buy a NEW computer that doesn't have Win 7 64-bit? I haven't seen a Win 7 32-bit pre-installed computer for sale in ages and even then it was only in low budget netbooks, laptops, and refurbed or super cheap desktops.

PCI cards don't use the 'standard' legacy addresses. They use whatever the OS assigns. In my case C050-C057 and C040-C047.

I thought that is why RMIR has the provision to manually enter the address. I've tried both C050 and C040.

As far as your side note, I don't buy off the shelf just because you have to take whatever they hand you. I have no 64 bit software but lots of 32 bit engineering software that is often happier in a 32 bit environment. I also have a lot of older programs such a RMIR that seem to prefer 32 bit. I would have stuck with XP if mother microsoft would sell it to me.
01sporty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Back In Business Reply with quote

I have another computer in the shop that I thought had all the same problems. I had checked the back and there was no parallel port.

Just to be sure, I checked the bios as I booted it and, sure enough, there's a provision to assign a parallel port to legacy address.

So, I looked inside and hidden at the bottom of the MB are pins for a parallel port. Rummaged around and found a cable that fit, buttoned everything up, installed RMIR and it's happy with its new home. Very Happy
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: There is IR8.04 that does support Win7 now.
andyross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01sporty wrote:
As far as your side note, I don't buy off the shelf just because you have to take whatever they hand you. I have no 64 bit software but lots of 32 bit engineering software that is often happier in a 32 bit environment. I also have a lot of older programs such a RMIR that seem to prefer 32 bit. I would have stuck with XP if mother microsoft would sell it to me.

Actually, you do have some customization options available when you do it online. You may have to fiddle with the initial starting model, but you can often add/remove various features as you want. They are not 100% off-the-shelf. I've ordered several Dell's on-line, and can get exactly what I want. I have twice bought computers in stores, and ended up returning both due to issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: