JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Potentially offtopic - TCP controllable remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Potentially offtopic - TCP controllable remote Reply with quote

In my dream world I'd like a remote that can be instructed over TCP. I already can control my receiver (via its serial port) and, of course, I can control my Mac iTunes instance. I can control the TiVo. But the TV, VluRay, DVD player... these can only be controlled by IR.

So what I'd like is some form of controller which can be controlled by computer (pref wireless) so I can say the equivalent of 'dvd fast-forward'. Of course such a device must also be accessable from a real remote as well (so a typical IR blaster may not be adequate).

Plus points if the state can be reported on ("dvd is playing", "tv is on")

If this sounds a little like home automation, I guess it is Smile

Any ideas how my dream world can come closer to reality?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite some stuff going on. You may like to check out the open-source projects Openremote, Eventghost, or even my endevour. But also, most manufactures of customer electronics, in particular TVs, BluRay players, and AV Receivers, now tend to distribute Apps to control them from Smartphones or tablets, see for example the apps from Oppo, Denon, Philips,....
sweh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

Hmm, do any of them have "IR repeater" type adapters? Many of my devices aren't IP accessible and can only be controlled by IR. Having a controlling device would be fine, but obviously it'd need to be able to send IR signals Smile
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is "yes".

Openremote "supports" GlobalCache, IrTrans, and a local LIRC server. Personally, I think it is somewhat questionable to claim to "support" an IR gateway like the GlobalCache when the user is supposed to master its API himself, and enter commands like
Code:
sendir,2:1,123,38400,1,69,347,173,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65, 22,65,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,65,22,1527,347,87,22,3692

(for NEC1 D=0, F=0). (Sort-of like claiming that a pencil "supports" the Chinese language.) Eventghost has "plugins" for GlobalCache and in particular for locally attached IR senders. My project has some nice classes for GlobalCache, IrTrans Ethernet and LIRC, while locally attached senders are in progress. Unfortunately not really end-user ready.
sweh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
I think it is somewhat questionable to claim to "support" an IR gateway like the GlobalCache when the user is supposed to master its API himself, and enter commands like

Heh. Sounds like someone needs to write a software equivalent of a JP1 remote and allow it to be build using upgrades and codes the same as a real one, and the output of a button press is that horrible "send" string Smile
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not describe it exactly like that, but "someone" is working on it... (although progress is slow) Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: