JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

LG NB3520A Sound Bar and Comcast Remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tower247

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: LG NB3520A Sound Bar and Comcast Remote Reply with quote

I'd sure like to control the volume with the Comcast Remote. It is the silver one with a red OK button.
The LG NB3520A Sound Bar uses optical inputs only. The optical outputs from the TV (Vizio M550SV) and the cable box seem to be at a set volume level leaving the only option for volume adjustments is with the Sound Bar's IR remote.
I've spent most of the day reading the beginners guides and spreadsheets here at JP1.
Although making a JP1.x jumper cable looks like a lot of fun to play with, my wife would like me to fix this sooner than it would take to make this another one of those projects.
Google searches have only found a few others asking the same question without any apparent success. I've also tried the "Can't find your codes" searches through all three sections.

I hate bugging the gurus with these noobie troubles but I'm running out of ideas. Can you help?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soundbar uses a Necx1 44.44 and is built into the Comcast remote with the red/ok button.
its Audio/1293 which means 31293 on your remote.
[3]1293

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Tower247

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the prompt reply!
I was hoping that I had perhaps skipped the correct code while cycling through the options and would look like a dummy with a simple problem easily fixed. Sadly, no (at least the easily fixed part).

Using code 31293 seems to only control the TV volume (graphic on screen) with no effect to actual volume or any sound bar functions.

I did find a part number on the sound bar remote: AKB73575401
The sound bar's functions are controlled by only the upper 9 buttons.

Thanks again for a bit more help.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you change the Volume Lock?

Volume is typically controlled by TV unless you change it to be the Audio Device.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Tower247

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cycled through the (993) lock-unlock procedures individually and globally without the desired results.

Interestingly, the suggested code 31293 is not on the Comcast list of Setup Codes For Audio Amplifiers And Audio Receivers and does not give the double-flash confirmation like codes that are on the list do when entered.
(ref: http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/remote-control/pdf/Silver_with_Red_OK_Button.pdf )

If I'm becomming a nuisance, please, just tell me to scram.

My continued thanks...
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're not a nuisance at all! In this case the Lookup Tool has an error, and as you've seen, the Comcast remote doesn't have setup code Audio 1293.

I think you'll need to get that cable after all. We can write a note to your wife. Very Happy
Tower247

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the dozen or so " 'motes " ,as I call them, is a lovely Harmony that would probably work great but my wife loves her Comcast unit and refuses to like anything else.

So, is this Comcast 'mote programmable through the pins in the battery compartment? Think I might get the volume on the stupid sound bar to work with it...eventually?

I'm looking forward to learning more about messing around inside these things. Now...back to the beginner guides.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, at my family prefers the Comcast remotes. But you'll also find that the Comcast in conjunction with a cable is much more programmable than a Harmony.

Anyway, once you have a cable, it will be trivial to add the sound bar upgrade.
Tower247

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys!
I ordered a cable and read beginner guides, protocols for asking questions in hacker forums, and hall of shame stories. I also located LG SOUNDBAR NB3520A.rmdu that I plan to load into the Comcast remote.
The cable arrived and I spent the day loading IR, RM, JRE, RDFs, MAPs, KM, and drivers. I'm pretty sure that I've identified the number 1 pin locations and have it plugged in correcly.
Most of the programs "turn on" but I'm not having any luck getting past the "Failed to open JP1.x interface" notice when I check the interface.
I'm not certain about the drivers being right.
Is anone up to helping me get the remote talking to my laptop and acheiving beginner status?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll try. If drivers are a potential issue, we need to know the details of the cable (made/purchased, what kind, etc.) and also the operating system you're using.
Tower247

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks some more...
I've purchased a JP1.2/JP1.3-usb cable from diygadget.
I'm using a Win 7 machine. I first just plugged in the cable alone before any software. Windows detected a usb/serial device but could not find or load drivers.
Next, I loaded IR (8.0.3.8), RDMs, MAPs,and KM. Could not get IR to open KM so then I loaded the JRE and RM. Using the interface tools in IR I found that no drivers were found as well as the failed to open interface message.
I ran the driver installer for windows from http://www.tiaowiki.com/download/ with no noticeable changes. I then reloaded with the vista drivers and still have no success yet.
I have three more machines that I can try on if this one get too clogged.
Tower247

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding error msgs when I "Check Driver Status":

Serial/Parallel Error:
Unable to open Service Control Manager. Please make sure you have admin rights.

Delcom USB Error:
Unable to find Delcom device driver,
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before worrying about how our tools work, we need to make sure that Windows recognizes the interface. Do this by looking in the Ports section of Device Manager. One way to get to the Device Manager is Start\Control Panel\System and Security\Device Manager. If the drivers have been installed, and the cable is plugged into the USB port, you should see it listed as something like "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port".

Unless you can get to this point-- Windows knows about the interface and thinks it is working properly-- there is no point in firing up RMIR or IR.

Is your Windows 32 or 64 bit? The drivers have to match the bit width of the OS.
Tower247

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...Hoorray!
I started from scratch on another machine and followed step by step.
It works just great. I'm really glad you guys are here and have done all the hard stuff already.
Anybody want a cable?
Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: