JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Parallel Port JP1 on Win7-64bit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbygo1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Parallel Port JP1 on Win7-64bit? Reply with quote

A few years back (2006 or so) I successfully used the IR.exe program to configure my URC-8910 using the old style Parallel Port JP1 interface in my WinXP machine (at the time).

Now I need to update the programming, but I have Win7-64bit. I installed a PCI-Express parallel port card, but I can't get the RMIR or IR software to talk to the remote.

RMIR (version 2.02) simply says no remotes are detected. The IR software (version 8.02) gives this message when I click on Interface->Driver Status:

Serial/Parallel Error:
Problem with NT port driver:
StartDriver: Unable to start service
This driver has been blocked from loading. Please make sure you have Admin rights.

Is the software compatible with Win7 64-bit? I tried running as administrator, and I tried WinXP compatibility mode, but no avail.

What is the recommended setup for Win7-64 bit? Should I just toss the Parallel Port cable and purchase one of Tommy Tyler's USB widgets? Are the USB widgets compatible with 64-bit windows?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should go the USB route, or try to dig up an old WinXP machine.

Thanks!!!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that you can't use Win7 64 bit directly with the parallel interface. This thread does have (near the end) one approach using a virtual machine. My own opinion is that it would be far superior to buy one of Tommy's JP1 JP1 EEPROM interfaces. Realistically, very few people use the parallel interface with 64 bit Win7.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this recently and came across this web site http://www.highrez.co.uk/Downloads/InpOut32/default.htm that does have a parallel port driver for Window x64 systems. It doesn't look too difficult to incorporate the DLL code into IR8. I have a Win7 x64 desktop with a parallel and a serial port if one is needed for testing.
gumbygo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like I'm on the "fringe" by using the JP1 parallel interface on Win7-64. I'd like to use something more mainstream so I don't have issues. I think I'll go with USB.

Now I just have to decide if I should get Tommy's EEPROM interface and keep using my existing URC-8910 remote, or if I should get a newer remote (RCA RCRP05BR) and a JP1X Flash interface. I assume both setups would work okay on Win7-64?

Thanks!
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the InpOut32.dll code and it seems to be close except for byte vs short(can be masked off within InPort() and extended in OutPort()). We can probably get rid of libgwiopm.pas.

libRemoteIf.pas:
procedure OutPort(iPortAddr: Smallint; iValue: Byte);
function InPort(iPortAddr: Smallint): Byte;

from inpout32.h:
//Functions exported from DLL.
//For easy inclusion in user projects.
//Original InpOut32 function support
void _stdcall Out32(short PortAddress, short data);
short _stdcall Inp32(short PortAddress);

//My extra functions for making life easy
BOOL _stdcall IsInpOutDriverOpen(); //Returns TRUE if the InpOut driver was opened successfully
BOOL _stdcall IsXP64Bit(); //Returns TRUE if the OS is 64bit (x64) Windows.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binky, please feel free to issue a new version of IR.exe. It is a long time since I took it over from you and my interests have now switched to developing RMIR. I am unlikely to want to do further work on it myself.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced libGWIOPM.pas with libInpOut32.pas file and nulled out some of the routines. I get a read address 00000000 error on startup but I was able to read from a URC-6131. It looks promising.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded IR8.04 here that removes the gwiopm.sys driver and includes the inpout32.dll driver for direct parallel port access under 64-bit Windows Systems. Original driver is from http://www.highrez.co.uk/Downloads/InpOut32/default.htm . IR8.04 Source is here.

I've done minimal testing with this version using a URC-6131 and a direct parallel port under a Win7 x64 system.
phb1342

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: IR 8.04 Works great..........thanks Reply with quote

Thank you!, binky123.

Your update to IR and the driver brought my old JP1 Parallel cable to life in Win7-32.

I really use the RCRP05B and the OARP05S for my day to day needs, but I like to play with the old remotes once in a while and add my new devices to them. It may have been obvious to the more informed, but I figured to try your update assuming it ‘should’ also work in Win32 – it does, trying it so far with the RS 15-1994 and URC-8811B00. Perfect.

I have loved the rob-modifed 6131s, but finally had to give in because I am getting too old to remember where I programmed the color buttons, the Pip Ch +/-, the Guide page up, & etc.

But I am really happy to continue my migration from XP to Win7 (without losing some JP1 tools) with your help –thanks…….
Bowhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....
I just got done setting up a HD for win7_32, installed excel and got all my old files I needed to reprogram my remotes. I was able to get the regular version of IR to work in 32b by selecting Win NT and admin rights, then tweaking my 32 bit lp1 with the correct address. It was and is always a pain.

Anyway, I needed to come here for additional help on programming and noticed your post for win7_64b on lpt1. downloaded it, installed the driver, loaded ir, had to set the lpt to other and enter the address, but worked like a charm. Thanks again...I can now dump 32bit win forever.

Now on to my reason for visiting the forum...wish I had done so before I set up the 32b system. lol.
elorimer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.04 installed on 64 bit Win8 all be itself, and an LPT cable is working.

Does something similar work for RMIR? I get a "no remote found" message.
BRatx32

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you binky123!

I was stuck not being able to update my JP1 remotes after my laptop with XP died. I really didn't want to get a new cable just for a few older models. IR8.04 and the new driver worked perfectly. Now I can keep my URC-6131.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks binky123 for making this available. You have given more life to my old jp1 cable and old RS remotes! Thanks once again.

A few buttons on the remote have died, so my next project will be to see if I can open RS 15-2117 and clean up those buttons.
alan3211

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

I realize this is an old thread but maybe someone has an answer for someone still trying to support a JP1 remote (URC7800) on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

I have tried the JP1.1/2 cable with the JP1 interface adapter from Tiao Corporation and was never able to get it to function. I could never get it to see the remote when I attempted to use the Check Interface function on the Interface tab.

This is my latest attempt to get more life from these remotes.

I have installed a PCI-Express card (it shows up as LPT3 in the Device Manager table), I downloaded and installed the software provided above. The "Driver Status" function under the Interface tab indicates that "The Serial/Paralle driver is functioning properly.

When I select "JP1 Parallel" under the interface tab, I get a drop down box asking for "Port Address in Hex". I have tried each of the addresses provided (378, 278, 3BC) but none of them seem to work work. When I attempt to perform the Check Interface function, I get a response of "No Response from interface" message.

There is also a box to enter a port address in hex but I have no idea what it might be.

Can anyone tell me what port address to use or how to determine what port address the Parallel Card I installed might be?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at your card in device manager it should show the port address - base I/O address or something like that. If it's a range, use the first number. It may be a very large 2 byte hex number. That's the number you want to type in the box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: