JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Comcast (xfinity) remote model?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turner3d

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: New Comcast (xfinity) remote model? Reply with quote

I just got a replacement for my old silver Comcast remote, and this is one of the "xfinity" branded jobs with the red "ok" button. For the life of me, I can't get it to be recognized by IR.

This new remote has a 983 blink-back of 2556 - I haven't found mention of this code anywhere. Also, the model # on the sticker inside of the battery compartment is 1067CBC4-0001-R. My previous remotes have had "JP1.2" stamped on the circuit board next to the connector, but this one only indicates the position of pins 1,2,5 & 6.

I picked up a USB JP1.2-1.3 cable from diygadget for the sole purpose of working on this remote, but IR gives me a no-go on the interface check. (Note: drivers are installed and the new cable works fine with the old remote)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! The 2556 signature strongly implies that this is a JP2 remote. We have support for JP2 remotes, but we will likely have to generate a new RDF file for your remote.

Start by upgrading RMIR to 2.02 Beta 1.5v, following the instructions in this post. Then do a Raw Download from your remote and post it here in the File Section, Diagnosis Area.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this remote is going to support keymoves (994) out of the box.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
turner3d

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still having difficulty connecting to the remote; RMIR 2.02 Beta 1.5v reports, "No remotes found!" when attempting a raw download.

I'm on Win7 64-bit - is the issue the fact that I'm 64 bit?

I installed the Java version of 2.02 Beta, updated it with the 1.5v files, and have tried the jp12serial.dll file from the 1.5v archive (37k) as well as the final jp12serial019.zip (34k).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turner3d,

I can't help you with your connection problems, however I am curious about these new xfinity remotes.

Could you please answer a couple of questions for me?

1) If you press the TV button, and then press the menu button, which LED lights up, the TV or the Cable?

2) I want to know if this remote accepts keymoves. If you do a long press of the Setup button (2blinks) and then type in 994, do you get two blinks, or one long blink?

Thankyou

-----------------------------------------

BTW Did you use this cable on your old Comcast remote, or did you buy it just for this use?

The three most common reasons I have problems with my JP1.2/3 cable are

1) weak batteries, for downloading I usually need a little more than 1.5v in my alkaline batteries to get a reliable download.

2) having only 3 of the 6 pins captured by the connector. This happens to me more than I care to admit. Embarassed

3) bad orientation, my JP1 cable has pin 1 marked with a little hole, the remote has pin 1 marked with a 1 or a little notch in the box. I always check this because the orientation of the JP1 connector varies with the style of remote.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can read from a standard JP1.3 remote, then that strongly implies that the 64 bit OS is not the problem.

We don't have a lot of experience using USB interface cables that use the Prolific chipset for JP2 communication. Here's a thread where we may not have succeeded in getting it to work.

Please try to use JP2Sniffer as an alternate way of getting communication. It doesn't use a dll, and while it basically uses the same sequences to set up communication, there are some differences, and anything the remote sends will be displayed. Some JP2 remotes send a series of bytes in response to the interface being plugged in. We're looking for any kind of response.
turner3d

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003:
1) If you press the TV button, and then press the menu button, which LED lights up, the TV or the Cable? - TV

2) If you do a long press of the Setup button (2blinks) and then type in 994, do you get two blinks, or one long blink? - 2 blinks

3FG:
I'm not sure I've ever read from a JP1.3 remote; my old Comcast remote is 1.2, and it works fine. (not sure if 1.2 or 1.3 makes a difference)

JP2Sniffer is definitely doing some communicating with many behaviours matching the other thread you mentioned. These are my results from tinkering in the "Low Level" tab:

Plugging in the cable: 00 00
Begin Comm: 00 02 51 53 00 20 02 00 (remote's buttons become unresponsive)
GetInfo: 00 02 50 52 00 10 03 11 E1 D5 00
GetSigBlk (D500): 00 06 01 D5 00 00 2C FE 00 09 BF D5 DD 9F EB BD EF E9 4F D7 FB FF 69 FE 81 FA 01 1F F4 DD 7C 37 71 5C 7D 45 A4 F9 FE 60 11 83 00 (GetSigBlk failed to return full length)
GetSigBlk (62CC): 00 06 01 62 CC 00 2C 85 00 09 CC 4A 8F 66 E6 5A 15 4F 0B 6B 7A 89 0B D9 4A 8F C4 31 A1 EB 0E 14 0B 6C 7A 89 21 15 5A 9F 4F 10 CA 00 (GetSigBlk failed to return full length)
End Comm: 00 02 52 50 00 00 (remote's buttons become responsive again)

Last edited by turner3d on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't look too promising. The remote does seem to be receiving and recognizing commands. However, the data read from the remote is generally wrong.

For example, the response to 00 02 51 53 should be 00 02 00 02. The response to GetInfo should be 00 06 00 XX XX XX XX XX (6 bytes following 00 06, error code 00, data XX XX XX XX, check sum XX). Instead 00 10 03 11 E1 D5 00 was read. In response to Get Sig a long series of bytes was read, and this is strong evidence that the remote understood the GetSig command. But the response should start 00 2E 00.

As you've seen, this is similar behavior to the 8820 remote tried earlier with a DIY interface. I've looked at the specs for the Samsung (for which the DIY interface generally works) and Maxim processors (where it apparently does not work), and there doesn't seem to be any significant difference in the input and output voltage levels. On the other hand, we don't know the circuit diagram of the DIY interface, and there may be some aspect that is incompatible with the Maxim processor. I don't know.

I have an Atlas 1056B03, which probably has an serial interface identical to yours. I can download/upload even without batteries in the remote, because Tommy's cable delivers power from the USb port. Perhaps the DIY interface is different in some way related to power. I would try to read from the remote with the batteries removed. Also, some computers severely limit the current the USB port can deliver, so it may be worthwhile to try a different USB port-- perhaps at the back of the computer.

Otherwise, I don't know whether the DIY interface can be made to work.
turner3d

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does work with the batteries removed via USB power, but gives the exact same results. I'm starting to think I wasted $28 on the diy interface for a free remote.

I also discovered that my earlier report of a 2556 blink-back code may be incorrect; it seems to respond to a request for a 5th digit, returning a 2. If this is the case, the blink-back code would 25562?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the JP2 remotes report a 6 digit signature in response to a computer query. However, they blink back 5 digits. For example, the Atlas 1056B03 responds to GetSig with 201009. The 983 blink back gets 20109. So the behavior you're seeing is normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: