JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommended Bluray Players?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Recommended Bluray Players? Reply with quote

Anybody got a Bluray player they'd recommend for good quality, features, discrete codes!, etc, etc. I was kinda browsing reviews and looking at the top ones and cross-checking here that we have discretes and whatnot, but I thought I'd toss it out there in case anyone has a good recommendation. Thanks in advance.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked and none ofl the DVD blu-rays in the JP1 master spreadsheet seem to use toggling protocols. That is one of the things I now avoid. The toggling protocols like RC5, RC5X, RC6, MCE give me fits when I try to automate operation.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I looked and none ofl the DVD blu-rays in the JP1 master spreadsheet seem to use toggling protocols. That is one of the things I now avoid. The toggling protocols like RC5, RC5X, RC6, MCE give me fits when I try to automate operation.

That's good to know...it seems like about any of them I get shouldn't be a problem.

@mdavej: Did you see my question here? =) I see you post a lot in the similar topic on AVS. =p
matt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony BDP-S380.

It has CEC over HDMI, SA-CD compatibility, internet streaming, and was cheap. If you want more features, you have to spend more for a higher model.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation for sony. This year's models are the best all around for the price (great streaming apps, great PQ, discrete on/off, great file streaming). Panny is a close second and also has discretes, but very limited file streaming capability. LG is probably the most versatile, but seems to have reliability issues. Samsung seems to have issues as well. Last samsung I had a few years ago did not have discretes, not sure if that's changed on current models. Amazon has a killer deal on the 590 at the moment. The 390 is a bit less since it lacks 3D. I have three 390's myself (picked up a couple of used ones cheap).

All that being said, current sonys are in a plastic case (not sheet metal), making the build quality seem cheap and making them more prone to vibration since they are so light. Doesn't bother me, but some don't care for it. Matt's 380 is last year's model and would have been in a metal case.

We have a couple of upgrades with a full set of bravia sync commands for controlling your sony player through your TV over HDMI CEC. Enabling that leaves you with very simple macros on your remote since all you have to do is send discrete on to the player, and all the input switching happens automatically over HDMI.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
It has CEC over HDMI, SA-CD compatibility, internet streaming, and was cheap. If you want more features, you have to spend more for a higher model.

mdavej wrote:
I second the recommendation for sony. This year's models are the best all around for the price (great streaming apps, great PQ, discrete on/off, great file streaming). Panny is a close second and also has discretes, but very limited file streaming capability.

All that being said, current sonys are in a plastic case (not sheet metal), making the build quality seem cheap and making them more prone to vibration since they are so light. Doesn't bother me, but some don't care for it. Matt's 380 is last year's model and would have been in a metal case.

Yea I've been looking at the Sony ones. I've basically narrowed it down to one of the Sony ones (590 or 790) or just getting the new Oppo. This will be for our main room, and I kinda like the dual HDMI outputs so I can run one to our matrix for distribution and the other direct to the main room receiver for optimal performance.

Since both of you guys said Sony, I'm guessing you're not in the "it's worth the extra" camp about the Oppo? ...or is that mostly a cost-based bias?
matt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like an Oppo, I hear the quality is a cut above, but the feature set of the Sony won out. I'm a sucker for features Smile
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I'd like an Oppo, I hear the quality is a cut above, but the feature set of the Sony won out. I'm a sucker for features Smile

I cancelled my Oppo 103 order and just ordered the Sony 790 instead. Tons of the reviews online and on various forums are saying the Sony players are second only to Oppo in video/audio quality and only barely...that's pretty high praise. We have Amazon Prime, so built-in Amazon Instant Video is nice. I wouldn't use some of the stuff on the Oppo like the HDMI input or its analog outputs, so it doesn't seem like there was much to make me prefer the Oppo over the Sony.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oppo would be great, but that's too rich for my blood, especially considering these things become obsolete so quickly. Plus, I think DVD upconversion is overrated. There's only so much you can do with SD.

I'm not sure if the dual HDMI on the sony is full audio and video. I hope it is for your sake. I know the second one was intented just to feed audio to a non-3D receiver. So you may want to get confirmation on that.

Let us know how it turns out.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also probably verify that the Sony will play data files of various types. (mpg, mkv, mp4, avi, mt2s, possibly tp, ts, vob)

Data file playback is a simple way around DVD upscaling restrictions (a mpg data file will upscale over analog while a DVD formatted disk will not) and region coding. (a PAL mpg will play while a PAL DVD will not)

You could also appreciate the Composite A/V (yellow/red/white) output staying live during HDMI use since you can feed the analog signal to a recorder for archiving. (albeit in 480i)

At least my Samsung will perform most of the above. Sony, being the most restrictive in the DRM field, might not.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Oppo would be great, but that's too rich for my blood, especially considering these things become obsolete so quickly. Plus, I think DVD upconversion is overrated. There's only so much you can do with SD.

I was going to go with the Oppo just because it's "best", but I just don't think I'd use hardly any of its features...ditto with the Sony tbh. I have the new AVR4520 receiver from Denon so I'm going to do all my Pandora, Spotify, AirPlay, and other music stuff through it. The tipping point was kinda the Amazon Instant Video is on the Sony and we have Amazon Prime. I guess that's why they cram tons of features in these things...that one little seemingly-insignificant one in a huge list of insignificant things swayed me. =p

mdavej wrote:
I'm not sure if the dual HDMI on the sony is full audio and video. I hope it is for your sake. I know the second one was intented just to feed audio to a non-3D receiver. So you may want to get confirmation on that.

I checked it online beforehand. According to the manual from Sony's site, there's a setting for "AV Separation Mode" in the menu...if that's On, they do video to 1 and audio to 2, but if it's Off, it's just full A/V to both.

mdavej wrote:

Will do...it shows up today...finally have it and a couple of the other last pieces so gotta redo the cabinet of gear for hopefully the final time.

zaphod7501 wrote:
You should also probably verify that the Sony will play data files of various types. (mpg, mkv, mp4, avi, mt2s, possibly tp, ts, vob)

You could also appreciate the Composite A/V (yellow/red/white) output staying live during HDMI use since you can feed the analog signal to a recorder for archiving. (albeit in 480i)

I don't care for such things anymore...I used to give a damn and rip/archive everything all the time and have tons of stuff on my computer I'd want to play...now I tend to just not care. I don't download anything, and if a disc I have goes bad I'll just buy another one. When I got out of college and got a real job, I lost most interest in monumental efforts to save a few bucks. =p

Thanks for the info everyone...much appreciated!
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
mdavej wrote:

Will do...it shows up today...finally have it and a couple of the other last pieces so gotta redo the cabinet of gear for hopefully the final time.

Better late than never right? =)

So I did go with the Sony as I said... We really like it for the most part. I did use the dual HDMI out for a while to go direct to our receiver for the main room, but I've subsequently gone away from that and just allow it pass through the HDMI matrix even for the main room. We use the streaming a ton to watch netflix and amazon instant video. My only real problem with the darn thing is that it's remote signals don't seem to be compatible with the extenders my HDMI Matrix uses. =( Even the OEM remote cannot control the thing through them. It DOES work in the main room where the sensor is connected directly to the IR distribution block, but when it's coming in through the matrix then it doesn't. =( That really hurts us because we basically have 3 out of 4 TVs from which you cannot control the thing. =p Thus far we'be basically just lived with the limitation, but at some point I'd like to maybe get the Oppo and try it out as an alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: