JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TYLER'S STORE FOR IRTOMMY WIDGETS + GADGETS - old post
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Pleasure to work with Reply with quote

Tommy communicated and shipped timely. Thanks!
dtveng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Tommy Reply with quote

..for a quick and easy order..got the cable quickly and it works fine.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy, I was horrified to see that you have discontinued sale of your JP1.2/1.3 USB interface cables, on the grounds that it is possible to make a cheaper one. That is, (a) if you can get hold of the right Nokia cable, which most of those on sale are not, (b) if you are expert at dismantling, soldering etc to be able to modify said cable, and (c) probably, are in the USA, as I suspect it may be much more difficult to obtain what is needed in other parts of the world. And all this relies on the unlikely possibility that these clone Nokia cables continue to be available, as I understand that the genuine Nokia ones can't be dismantled.

When I first saw your article about these cables, I thought it was nice for the hardware buffs in our community, but that those like me who wield a soldering iron only ineptly and in desperation could and would continue to get their cables from you.

I do hope you can be persuaded to resume supply of your cables, as otherwise I fear that this hobby will become available only to hardware buffs and so will in future exclude people like me.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
USB Interface Cable for Flash Remotes (JP1.2 and JP1.3)

I have discontinued this item and refer you instead to the announcement HERE regarding the new Nokia Flash Interface Cable. It works as well as the USB JP1.2/3 (Flash) Interface Cable I have been selling for the past two years but costs only 10 to 20% as much.

Does this mean that you'll be offering the Nokia type Interface in the future?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped that someone would step forward and volunteer to become a reliable supplier for Nokia Flash Interfaces, but that's all up in the air now unless we can pin down a guaranteed source for usable data cables. As for the store, it looks like I'm going to have to find a less demanding hobby because the wheels are slowly coming off this 81 year old body. Last summer I lost half the retina in my left eye, and this winter I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Those events have certainly put a dent in my professional football career. And building interfaces is also pretty tough for a one-armed guy with one good eye. Maybe I can find someone who wants to take over running the store.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
And building interfaces is also pretty tough for a one-armed guy with one good eye.

I'll bet. I just have glasses and dinking around with that itty-bitty soldering stuff almost put an end to my jp1ing. I depend on other people that have those skill sets.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
As for the store, it looks like I'm going to have to find a less demanding hobby because the wheels are slowly coming off this 81 year old body. Last summer I lost half the retina in my left eye, and this winter I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder.

Oh, Tommy, I am so sorry to hear this. I think all of us hoped that you would go on forever, as we have relied on you so much, but those of us who knew your age knew also that could not happen. I am just so sad that point has now been reached.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built 3 of the Nokia/Tyler cables and I wouldn't mind doing the work with no expectation of making a profit. The only problem is that this would require an initial investment with no guarantee of breaking even in the future. In such a small quantity it cost me over $8 just in parts. Add shipping and we are at least at $10, maybe a bit higher. If Tommy can give me a guess at the likely quantity that would likely sell in 6 months or a year, I will look and try to decide if I can take it on or not.

It would be way beyond my capabilities or desire to take on the whole shop. Hopefully that will appeal to someone else. No one can take Tommy's place in the creative aspect of designing and producing these marvelous tools.
Mr Mod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can offer services in manufacturing these too in my spare time, the problem comes is shipping. I am in Australia so i would guess people would not be too willing to pay additional cost in shipping.
If you think people would pay im willing to assist
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of inquiries out that would affect the best way to deal with my discontinuing to build interfaces, Widgets, etc. Anyone who is interested at all (no obligation, of course) should drop me a note here

tommy (at) hifi-remote (dot) com

giving me their e-mail address so I can keep them updated regarding what's going on.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By now I have probably confused everyone as to whether I will continue building stuff. Well, the left eye seems to be stable at about 50%, and I am slowly regaining use of my right arm, so you may have noticed I have reopened the store. Watch for an exciting announcement around the first of July (hopefully) regarding my newest flash interface design.

Tommy
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tommy. I just received my new Widget. I hadn't actually looked at your market place page, other than to find out how to properly contact and pay you. I must say I love the new 2 piece design. Its much less likely to get broken by a klutz like me. I also like the new design with the recessed receiver, but feedback on the top. This is a huge improvement. My last widget was overly sensitive to light, so when I was in FL I had to move to a windowless room, or use my 'original' widget with your very first design. I can see that this widget won't have that problem. Its the best yet. Thanks for making these available as well as the fast service.

Vicky
gentzel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy,

I'm sure the delay from FTDI is frustrating, but count me among those anxiously waiting for your store to reopen. I've been a satisfied customer through several iterations of your interface and am looking forward to trying out the newest version.

When chips are available, I'm in for an order. I'll keep my eye on the OP.
Mr Plastic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: New Stuff Looks Good Reply with quote

Hi Tommy,

Hope you can keep going. I have several interfaces from you and appreciate the work you do. You also helped me out with some driver issues. You have been wonderful to deal with.

Thanks
Joe
Hnutma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Usb Jp 1.2/3 adapter Reply with quote

[b]Tommy Tyler[/b]
HI Tommy,

I ordered an adapter a few years ago after building a parallel port adapter. Yesterday my car was broken into and my laptop stolen. In the case was my adapter. The model I had was a usb connector with a short grey ribbon cord.

I work for Shaw Cable in Canada and I use the adapter to create macros for our vision impaired viewers (blind) who cannot navigate our on screen menu's. I see you have stopped selling the adapter's but I am hoping that you may still have one around. Failing that if you have the schematic and gerber files and software i would be able to build my own with your permission.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: