JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to install rid file for directv d10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madpirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: How to install rid file for directv d10 Reply with quote

I have a replay 5040 and I am trying to install the .rid files for direct tv for a d10 box.
I have put the hd drive in my computer and am using extract_rtv to access the hard drive.
Where do i put the .RID files so they will show up on the list of available ir codes.

I have tried the folders that are listed on the help center and those folders don’t seem to exist on my replay.

I have found other .rid files in the folder

\sys1\Platform\Plymouth\IRBlaster

is that where i am to copy the codes.

I am at a loss at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to overlay an existing rid file, so pick one that you're not using, create a new rid file for the D10 using the same name, then use extract_rtv to overlay the old one.

I believe this is the folder name:
user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/
madpirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: .rid file locations Reply with quote

I have tried to put files in the folder user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/

I get an error when i copy files to that folder, when i check it looks like that folder does not exsist.

I did a search and found the folders
\sys1\Platform\Plymouth\IRBlaster
\sys2\Platform\Plymouth\IRBlaster

in those folders are .rid files and i am able to copy files to that folder.

any ideas?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you've got an unusual version of the firmware. In which case, look where the RID files are, then replace one of them with your new version.
madpirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: rid files Reply with quote

do you think that this rid file is good for a direct tv d10 receiver?

http://webpages.charter.net/mamvc/DirecTV%20D10.zip

i will try this rid file tommorrow
or can you recommend a better rid file to use for directtv d10

and do you know what the raw files are for?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a better one...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11015

(though you might need to modify the bat file as your folder names appear to be different)
madpirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Replaytv rid files for direct tv Reply with quote

thank you robman, that worked perfectly!

I tried it on my other replaytv's after i apply the changes it was able to change the channels.

I really appricated the time and effot.
I have found that there is really no replacement for replaytv at this time and needed my replay's to work until I can figure out where to go next but thank you again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome and I agree, I've been a dedicated Replay user since December 1999. Now that you can pick up the R5k series so cheap on ebay, and given that the dial-up units are having problems finding somewhere to call now, I recently replaced all my Showstoppers with R5k units.
madpirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: replay competors Reply with quote

I have looked around and found there is nothing to compete with replay.

Tivo's are now tied to the provider. So if you go from cable to satilight you have to change the box.

I found a company called moxie, they went out.

I found nextdvr but that is for watching tv on our computer.

but as for the market of set-top box with a remote control, and on screen channel guide I can not find anything else out there.

Have you come accross any thing else that might come close?

This might be an untapped market and no one has gone after, since replay doesnt offer HDMI connector for HD TV's
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't used to be an untapped market, you had ReplayTV and Tivo out there servicing it, but the general public didn't understand what a PVR was nor why they needed one, so it never took off.

The TV service providers understood, however, so they started building PVRs into their STBs and as long as they're doing that, most people aren't going to buy a stand alone PVR.

Furthermore, ReplayTV can only record analog input, so people who have upgraded to digital TV aren't going to use it either.

But, that all being said, anyone who doesn't have a PVR, or has a crappy one supplied by their service provider, I would *strongly* recommend that you search eBay for a ReplayTV RTV5040 box (or similar, but avoid the RTV5500 series) as they can be had for under $50 now. Don't worry abotu what size harddrive is in the unit as it's easy to replace the drive with a larger IDE drive. If you get multiple R5k units, you can stream shows from one unit to the other, and you can share shows with other R5k users, and even better, these units have automatic commercial advance!!! Granted, it doesn't always work properly but when it does, it's killer.

The problem with the RTV5500 series is that they disabled CA (Commercial Advance) and IVS (Internet Video Sharing). IVS isn't a biggie for me, but it's nice to have CA. But if you think you can live without it, check out the RTV5500 units also.

OK, I just looked on ebay and maybe the days of really cheap R5k units are over, but there are still units for less than $100.

Here's one for $75 plus $20 shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300796298135

Here's one for $60 plus $30 shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130780204725

Here's one for $100 with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230861234304

And finally, here's an RTV5500 series unit for $20 plus $30 shipping (but this one's an auction, so the price may go up)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321001555401
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm an unimaginative soul, and am having trouble visualizing what a Replay can do for me.

I have two different cable providers, WOW and Comcast. Both have done the digital transition. I'm very happy with WOW. But the Comcast situation needs some help.

1) We have WOW standard definition cable which doesn't scramble any any basic cable (USA, TBS, ESPN...) , so I have upgraded to digital equipment to take advantage of the boxless situation. I added a Magnavox 515h DVR, which has a Clear QAM tuner and records like exactly like a VCR. So I record the shows that air too late for me to watch, erase them after I watch them, or transfer them to DVD. There is no TVguide, but I'm very happy with the TitanTV app for my iphone that Steve recommended. That APP is so nice, because I have a list of channels for every place I watch. The PC version will send me reminders, so that is even cooler.

2) We also have SD Basic Comcast at another location. Comcast scrambles everything but the local channels. I have a Sony analog DVD Recorder, and use a RW DVD to capture 2 hours of TV. I have to watch and erase the disc the next day, so that its ready for the next recording. The biggest problem with this is that there is no way to change the station on the cable box. So if you want an hour from TBS and an hour from USA you can't do it unless you wake up and change the channel. You can set a reminder on the cable box, but it doesn't switch automatically. Also if you need more than 2 hours the recording quality is unacceptable. I've been toying with the idea of getting another Magnavox, but it doesn't have an IR blaster so no way to control the box. That's not going to be an acceptable solution. I assume with all this RID stuff, that the Replay works with the box, even an XMP box. The other issue is that sometimes I'm too busy to watch my shows and then I am trying to manage temporary DVD content and have to decide if I want to erase it before I see it, and I have to keep track of what is where... The hard drive solution is so much easier.

So what can Replay do to help my Comcast situation? I know I can rent their DVR, but it is so expensive, especially when you have 2 cable bills!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here goes. The ReplayTV box has two guides, the first is a guide to the shows recorded on the harddrive, the second is the channel guide. So, when you want to record a show, you don't have to set it up VCR style (ie, record channel 5 at 8pm for 1 hour), you simply pick the show from the channel guide and set it up from there. If it's a regular show, you can set the recording to happen every time the show airs in that timeslot, perfect for weekly shows.

If the show airs in all sorts of different timeslots, which is not unusual with syndicated shows, you can set up a theme channel which will catch all of them.

If you want to catch shows by your favorite actor or director, etc you can set up a theme for that too. For example, you could say "record all shows with Clint Eastwood", that sort of thing.

You still have the option of doing VCR style recordings too, when needed, which can be useful for channels that don't have guide information, such as the cable access channels.

As most cable systems have dropped their analog channels, you would need to use a STB to decode the channels for the Replay to be able to record them. The Replay comes with an IR blaster that can be programmed to send the necessary remote control signals so that when the unit wants to record a show from channel 5, it will first switch the STB to channel 5 and then it will start recording. With Comcast the process is even better because if you're using one of the DTAs (Digital Transport Adapters) there is a cable you can buy that connects the Replay directly to the DTA box. This cable is a homemade hackers cable, so it's perfectly inkeeping with the JP1 spirit. I have 3 of them and can confirm that they work with my Comcast DTA boxes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220627222273

If you have a 5000 series unit, when you playback the recorded shows, you can select to skip commercials, so when a commercial break is reached in the recording, it will automatically skip to the beginning of the next segment. This works for about 70% of shows and when it works it's GREAT. And when it doesn't, you just skip the breaks manually. Unlike any other PVR, ReplayTV has a multi-minute skip, so when you skip manually you don't need to fast forward thru the ads, you can just press 3-skip and it will jump forward 3 minutes.

Let's say that you're watching a show with the family and you have to run out to do some errands, but they're going to keep watching. You would press DISPLAY and make a note of where you are in the show, then later when you want to watch the rest of it on your own, you can go directly to that point by entering the number of minutes and pressing JUMP (eg, press 120-JUMP and you'll go directly to the 2-hour point).

Let's say that you have bought multiple Replay units and have one by each television, you can stream shows from one unit to another. So, if there are multiple shows on at the same time that you want to watch, record one show on unit-1 and the other on unit-2, then watch them both back on either unit. If you have multiple Replays in the same location, you can program each of them to respond to a different unit code (and of course, you can JP1 your remote to send those different unit codes).

Let's say that I recorded a show that you missed, ask me for it and I'll send it to you via the net and it will show up in your Received folder.

Oh yeah, let's talk about Folders. You can set up as many folders as you need and then set the shows to go to the right folder, so you could have "his" and "hers" folders, or maybe "adults" and "kids", etc.

Are you a fan of movies? If so, you can select the "Now Showing" option from Replay Zones and it will list all the movies that are coming up. You can also narrow down the results to 4 star, 3 star, etc movies or even types of shows, etc.

Starting in 1999 when I got my first ReplayTV box (which was an RTV2020 unit) I have tried to convince people to get into using PVRs with very limited success, but for me, I couldn't live without it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You still have the option of doing VCR style recordings too, when needed, which can be useful for channels that don't have guide information, such as the cable access channels.

Since I don't have internet access at the Comcast location, this would be my only option.

Quote:

The Replay comes with an IR blaster that can be programmed to send the necessary remote control signals so that when the unit wants to record a show from channel 5, it will first switch the STB to channel 5 and then it will start recording. With Comcast the process is even better because if you're using one of the DTAs (Digital Transport Adapters) there is a cable you can buy that connects the Replay directly to the DTA box. This cable is a homemade hackers cable, so it's perfectly inkeeping with the JP1 spirit. I have 3 of them and can confirm that they work with my Comcast DTA boxes.

Ah so this cable probably goes to that optional IR receiver.

Quote:

Let's say that you have bought multiple Replay units and have one by each television, you can stream shows from one unit to another. So, if there are multiple shows on at the same time that you want to watch, record one show on unit-1 and the other on unit-2, then watch them both back on either unit. If you have multiple Replays in the same location, you can program each of them to respond to a different unit code (and of course, you can JP1 your remote to send those different unit codes).

Let's say that I recorded a show that you missed, ask me for it and I'll send it to you via the net and it will show up in your Received folder.

Oh yeah, let's talk about Folders. You can set up as many folders as you need and then set the shows to go to the right folder, so you could have "his" and "hers" folders, or maybe "adults" and "kids", etc.

I take it that those options require internet access? Or could you share on a simple router?

Quote:

Starting in 1999 when I got my first ReplayTV box (which was an RTV2020 unit) I have tried to convince people to get into using PVRs with
very limited success, but for me, I couldn't live without it.

Yeah, you need to see it in action. Its hard to get the concept until you watch a TV show where there is a pvr.

That's what led me to get the Magnavox. I love my Magnaovox, because the DH talks during the dialog of my shows, so I can just rewind live TV and start watching again. Does a replay let you do that? It also lets me go back (up t0 6 hours) and start recording something I was already watching. So if something comes up, instead of noting where I was, I can just rewind to the beginning of the show and start recording from there. That is a HUGE feature in our household. I don't want TV to run my life, but I like for there to be something worth watching when I do watch.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R5k units support both dial up and internet access to get the channel guide, but dial up is problematic with ReplayTV now, so I would recommend sticking with internet. So, what would it take to get internet access where you have your TV? Do you get your internet through Comcast too? If so, you could consider moving your modem and router to your TV location.

Or, would it be possible to run a long Cat5 cable from your router to your TV location? That's what I did.

Yes, the ebay cable plugs into the IR Blaster port on the Replay, and the optional IR receiver port on the Comcast DTA.

With ReplayTV, you can pause or rewind live TV, but you can only go back to the point where the Replay first tuned to the channel in question. However, if you are already half way through a live show when you decide to record it, there isn't a way to make the recording include the portion of the show that has already aired.

But, let me tell you, once you get the hang of using a PVR, you will NEVER watch live TV again. Even if it's a show that you REALLY want to see. For example, let's say that you want to watch Survivor and it starts at 7pm and the time now is 7pm. You would NOT turn the TV on and start watching it now, you'd find something to do for 10-15 minutes and then start watching it, the point being that you need to give it enough buffer so that when the commercial breaks come you can jump right over them. If you don't give it enough buffer, you'll end up catching up with the live recording and be forced to site through the commercial breaks!
Some people tell me that there are a lot of negative political ads running at the moment, and I have to take their word for it because I haven't seen any of them! I haven't seen a TV commercial since December 1999.

If you have any sports fans in your family, just get them to start watching the big game 30 minutes after it starts so they can jump over the time outs and commercial breaks. You'll get the optimal start delay by trial and error because maybe 30 minutes isn't enough if they want to be able to jump right over half time.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The R5k units support both dial up and internet access to get the channel guide, but dial up is problematic with ReplayTV now, so I would recommend sticking with internet. So, what would it take to get internet access where you have your TV?

I'd don't have either a phone line, nor an internet connection. We do email and surfing via iphone. When I need to download/upload a file from here, I lug my laptop to an area that has public wifi, that's only about 300 feet away, but there are alligators and wild boar so you have to have your wits about you and you don't want to do it in the dark!!!

Quote:

With ReplayTV, you can pause or rewind live TV, but you can only go back to the point where the Replay first tuned to the channel in question.

Yes, the units obviously have to have been on and tuned in, to back up.

Quote:
However, if you are already half way through a live show when you decide to record it, there isn't a way to make the recording include the portion of the show that has already aired.

Bummer, this is my favorite feature of the Magnavox. I love the fact that I can go back and capture what ever I've been watching. If I get called away, or if I'm watching a DIY show, that explains how to do something I want to know how to do, its so nice to go back and capture. This happens ALL the time. Either I get interrupted, or its something that I need to see again. For example, I was watching a remodeling show where the guy did a demo on how to cut crown molding for a room with non-right angles, like my dining room. It was so nice to be able to rewind and capture that. I watched it everyday for about a week, before I finally understood all that upsidedown cutting for a non-right angle worked, but I have beautiful crown molding as a result.

As far as the commercials go, I'm the wrong gender for that to be important. I kind of like commercials in regular TV shows. Its just enough time to move the laundry, stir the dinner, and some of it is really educational when new products come out. However if it is a movie it does become a bother. The last half hour where they have the 4 commercial breaks just makes it too hard to follow the plot. So with a movie, I always record the whole thing and then cut out the movies prior to watching them.

I agree with you, watching through a PVR or DVR is the way to go. I've got one here, and I love it. It is so much better than the DVD recorder. Its trying to figure out how to do it with the box that has been the headache. With the box it gets so complicated. I need unattended channel changes on the STB I've looked at using the old producer remote. I've also looked into getting an IR blaster to use with an ancient laptop, but that is nearly as expensive as a used replay unit.

I don't care about a guide. The TitanTV app is perfect for me. So can the Replay be operated like a VCR with no internet? Or does it absolutely have to have some connection to work? If this thing can run without internet and be programmed like a VCR and switch the stations on my STB, I'll start bidding today.

Also does this have any other input source, other than coax?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> ReplayTV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: