JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Build a Flash Interface for the Cost of a Gallon of Gasoline
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cauer29

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Prolific chip Reply with quote

Steevo wrote:
I read through this old Nokia cellphone cable hack. It seems this is a Prolific chip based USB to serial interface, and nothing more.

Right?

There are Prolific based USB to Serial dongles available, I am using one.

If any old USB to Serial interface will work (IE, does it have to be Prolific) why do we have to make anything more than a DB9 to JP1 cable and just plug it in? It's just plain USB to serial, flash is serial programmable.

Is that about right, or is there something odd about that Nokia cable?

Come to think of it I have lots of those USB to serial dongles, if FTDI is the preferred chip I am sure I have one.

There is nothing special about prolific based USB to serial cables. In fact, quite the opposite. The preferred version is an FTDI chip based USB to serial TTL cable, but most any will work. There are reports that at least some cables based on certain chips, will not work due to the cable or driver's non-support of sending a serial "break".

Aside from support for sending "break", DTR or RTS must be present also.

A.A.
Steevo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I made a simple JP1 cable for parallel. First with a regular diode, then with a schottky diode. They both failed to work on a normal physical parallel port on two different HP computers. They both had the same exact symptom.

I am trying to program a Replay 5000 remote. EEPROM remote.

Can I do it with a USB to JP1 as I described? I think I can. But after this difficulty, well, I am getting humility. This all seemed so simple. Heh.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of cable described here in this thread is a JP1.x serial cable, so it won't work with your EEPROM based ReplayTV 5000 series remote. You need a traditional JP1 cable for that.
Steevo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
The two traditional cables I made didn't work either.
So I dunno.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steevo wrote:
Rob, The two traditional cables I made didn't work either. So I dunno.

Yeah, I know, but I do know that the R5k remote is a traditional JP1 remote, so you must have done something wrong when you were building the cables, or something else must have gone wrong. But, I can also guarantee you that if you buy or build a JP1.x cable, it will not work with your R5k remote either.

I may still have some parallel cables in my stash, if you're interested in buying one, I could find one and test it on a R5k remote just to be 100% positive that it works. However, if the problem is with your PC or your parallel port, it still wouldn't work for you.
Steevo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried on two different PCs and it was the same on both.

That leads me to the only common thing: ME.
Heh

I just got some more diodes, I am gonna try one more time.
I have other computers to try it on, so I can see about that too.
Both of the ones I tried were HP SFF systems, albeit different models.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the parallel port off of a Parallel/Serial PCI card? If so, it may not work with the JP1 software. Also, parallel ports can be configured in the BIOS for different modes(EPP,ECP) which may affect its operation. Just things you may want to check on.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

binky123 wrote:
Is the parallel port off of a Parallel/Serial PCI card? If so, it may not work with the JP1 software. Also, parallel ports can be configured in the BIOS for different modes(EPP,ECP) which may affect its operation. Just things you may want to check on.

I've not had any trouble getting JP1 eeprom interface to work off of a PCMCIA (cardbus actually) card on my laptop. I did have to figure out and set the address for the parallel port. I also have a serial port PCMCIA card that I use with my laptop and a JP1 eeprom serial cable (not JP1.x!) and this cannot work normally since RMIR doesn't support JP1 eeprom serial interface at all and even IR doesn't provide any means to specify a non-standard address for the serial port. A little hacking of the exe fixed that for IR, but RMIR is hopeless.

A.A.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good suggestion. In IR.exe, select Interface->JP1 Parallel Port. A pop-up window appears to allow you to select the Parallel Port Address: 378, 278, 3BC and Other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: