JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie questions on RCA RCRP05BR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions on RCA RCRP05BR Reply with quote

I just bought an RCA RCRP05BR remote and have some questions.

I’d like do some basic programming before I need to get into using JP1 programming. For starters I want to control a Dish DVR, an HTPC which is using Windows Media Center, & an Onkyo AVR. I already have a Green Button remote & IR receiver.

I did select the codes for all 3 components & things almost work. The problem I have is with audio. According to the manual regarding Volume Lock, “Global Volume Lock is set to TV, so you can control TV volume while in the DVD/VCR, DVR/AUX, TV or CBL/SAT mode”. It also notes “The audio mode’s (AUD) volume controls are active regardless of Volume Lock settings”.

I interpret the above to mean that pressing the AUD device button should control the AVR’s volume by default. Pressing the AUD device key & Power button will turn the AVR on & off. But when I press the volume +/- buttons the TV device button lights up & of course the AVR does not respond. I tried all 6 Onkyo codes & 2 will turn the AVR on/off.

I also tried “Unlocking Volume Control for a Single Device (Individual Volume Unlock)”. I followed the instruction & did this:
1) Pressed CBL/SAT once.
2) Pressed & held Setup until the device key blinked twice.
3) Entered 9 9 3 and the last key blinked twice.
4) Pressed & released the Setup key. But the Device key did not blink twice. It only stayed on while the Setup key was pressed. I tried this several times.

How come while in the Audio mode the Volume buttons activate the TV Device key?
How come I cannot unlock the CBL/SAT from the volume?
What steps am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The printed instructions that come with the RCRP05B are (or at least have been) wrong. Follow the instructions in our Wiki.
Mike99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the Wiki link.

I have the RCRP05BR remote & the manual says RCRP05BR & is dated 2011. It looked similar to the Wiki. I looked & the online manual is dated 2009 & says it is for the RCRP05B. I checked to see what was different.

The Wiki instructions To lock all devices to one VPT device appears to be the same as the 2011 manual which also calls it Global Volume Lock. The 2009 manual is missing “Press VOL+ once”.

The Wiki To unlock volume control for all devices appears to be the same as the 2011 manual. However the 2009 manual indicates to press “VOL+” once instead of ”VOL-”.

The Wiki contains To assign the Volume group of one device to a set of devices. However I did not see this in either the 2011 or 2009 manuals.

FWIW my 2011 manual also has instructions to Unlock Volume Control for a single Device (Individual Volume Unlock), which is what I was having a problem with. The 2009 online manual also has this but it includes a ”Press VOL- once” step which mine is missing. Instead the 2011 manual ends with pressing the Setup key, which I previously listed above. I just tried the 2009 version & it works,

So it looks like the 2011 manual has corrected two Learning procedures from the 2009 version, and “un-corrected” one. And the Wiki has instructions To assign the Volume group of one device to a set of devices, but does not have instructions to Unlock Volume Control for a single Device (Individual Volume Unlock).

I did the Individual Volume Unlock and then assigned it to the CBL/SAT & it works.

Thanks again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would like to update the Wiki, let me know and I'll add an account for you. (We have to add accounts manually because of spam).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: