JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR Widget API

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: IR Widget API Reply with quote

Is there a published API for the IR widget somewhere?

Has someone written a LIRC driver for said device?

Or any other application other than IRScope?

I am aware that the IRScope sources are available, but I would prefer not to do archeology...
cauer29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: IR Widget API Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Is there a published API for the IR widget somewhere?

Has someone written a LIRC driver for said device?

Or any other application other than IRScope?

I am aware that the IRScope sources are available, but I would prefer not to do archeology...

I'm not sure that is complicated enough to warrant an API. You open the comm port to which it is attached, suitably raising DTR and it starts spewing bytes at 100us rate. Each byte is the count of pulses found in the 100us window. That's it. The rest is up to IR scope and decodeIR.dll. I think this info is from a tech page somewhere describing the original all hardware design and also the PIC software version.

A.A.
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't an API and probably never will be one from me. I prefer software to be a single executable whenever practical. DLLs, VMs and such often make software needlessly complicated.

I had it working with WinLIRC several years ago, but there was no active development on the project, so no patch was submitted. The hardware Tommy sells does not have the optional IR demod module, so it is not really a good choice for a LIRC receiver.

The first hardware used PIC, that was followed by 74HC, AVR and MSP430 versions.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kevin:
Thank you for the answer, although it is a bit disappointing. Crying or Very sad If people just wanted to use "things" the way the creator intended, there would not have been forums like this. Wink

@cauer29:
Thanx! Sounds interesting; will give it a try.
cauer29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
@Kevin:
Thank you for the answer, although it is a bit disappointing. Crying or Very sad If people just wanted to use "things" the way the creator intended, there would not have been forums like this. Wink

@cauer29:
Thanx! Sounds interesting; will give it a try.

Here is where I got the info on how it works:

http://www.compendiumarcana.com/irwidget/

I assume that Kevin created this page.

A.A.
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
@Kevin:
Thank you for the answer, although it is a bit disappointing. :cry: If people just wanted to use "things" the way the creator intended, there would not have been forums like this. :wink:

I think you have misunderstood what I said and what my intentions are.

The IR Widget is open source software, firmware and hardware. One of the reasons for making it open source is to allow others to customize it. The IR Widget that Tommy sells, for example, is not exactly like my reference design. The current version of IR scope is no longer the simple demonstration program that I originality wrote just to show what the hardware is capable of.

If you don't like what I have done, you can use the parts you want to make something you like (as allowed by GPLv3). You can even sell it if you want some compensation for your work.

I wanted to make it clear that I am not working on an API or DLL and currently have no intention to do that work. If someone else wants to do that I will help them as much as I can.

Main IR Widget page - I want to update this with clearer and better organized content but have not had time.
MSP430 version - Some explanation of theory here - read the whole thread
AVR version
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kevin:

I do not think I have misunderstood your intentions, or what you said. Really, I have a great respect and admiration for what you have achieved, in particular making every thing public, not only "open source" but also "open hardware". If I made another impression, I would like to correct it.

What I was looking for, ("API") was a guide on how to access the thing from a program. Through this thread, in particular your links, I think I have got sufficient information. Thanks! Mission accomplished!

BTW, the idea that I am toying around with is to support Irwidget in IrMaster, using rxtx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: