JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SOLVED: Philips CSS2123 Sound Bar - Surround
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamsterman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: SOLVED: Philips CSS2123 Sound Bar - Surround Reply with quote

UPDATE: There was a keymove interfering with the button selected. Thanks for the help!

Hi, I'm new and I hope this is the right place to post this.

1. Device: Philips CSS2123 Sound Bar
2. Type of device: Audio (Sound Bar)
3. Year: 2012
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: RCRP05BR
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? yes
6. Still have original remote? yes
7. Checked the file section? yes - I created the current upgrade
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? yes, none listed
9. Partially working setup code? No, uses RC6 devices 16 & 21 which is unique. Using RC5/6 combo, could program all the other keys.
10. Learning remote question? Remote can learn all the keys, and will perform all functions. However, RMIR decode/recode on this key does not function when uploaded.
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? yes, no luck. RC6 device 16 & 21 is unique.

Here is what I get decoded in RMIR:
Code:
#   Dev   Key      Size   Freq   Protocol   Device   OBC   Hex   Misc
11   AUD   Play      37   35874   RC6        16      82   52   T=1

Here's what I put in the upgrade:
Code:
#   Name   EFC5      EFC   Type   5Dv   5OBC   6Dv   6OBC   Hex
5   surround   55356   160   RC6   13   65      16   82      52 F9   

The Protocol I used was RC5/6 combo, Dev1=16, Dev2=21.
On thing I noticed was that, while I'm supposed to 'ignore' the 5 Dev/ 5 OBC 'garbage', this key is the ONLY one on this remote that does NOT have "1" in the 5 OBC column.

Any suggestions? I'd like to finish the upgrade. I am using the learned Surround so I have a workaround, but anyone without the original remote will be out of luck, as there are no physical buttons on this sound bar.

Hamsterman

Last edited by Hamsterman on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post the RMIR or IR file that contains all the original learns, so we can examine the code for the button in question to see what's up with it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Philips CSS2123 Sound Bar - Surround Reply with quote

Hamsterman wrote:
perform all functions. However, RMIR decode/recode on this key does not function when uploaded.

Are you saying when you download from RMIR and reload, the learns don't work, or that your upgrade doesn't work after you code from the decode?
Hamsterman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Philips CSS2123 Sound Bar - Surround Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Are you saying when you download from RMIR and reload, the learns don't work, or that your upgrade doesn't work after you code from the decode?

I was saying that the second suggestion, that my upgrade doesn't work after I code from the decode. I haven't tried to upload the original download from the remote.

Here is the section I have for the learned key:

Code:
[LearnedSignal]
KeyCode=12
DeviceButtonIndex=3
Data=00 DF 06 00 DF A6 19 05 47 01 CA 02 9D 02 B8 01 BE 01 C2 00 DF 01 C4 00 DF 00 E1 91 14 55 25 53 55 55 33 53 00
Notes=Surround

Here is a link to the Diagnosis area with a complete RMIR:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11075

I'll see if I can upload a 'learned' signal back to the remote and see if it works. It might take a little while to find out. I suppose I'd have to do a factory reset on the remote first.

Hamsterman
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamsterman, I can't find the "Surround" button in the RMIR file you have, and the only upgrade is a Sony 20.

Code:
[LearnedSignal]
KeyCode=12
DeviceButtonIndex=3
Data=00 DF 06 00 DF A6 19 05 47 01 CA 02 9D 02 B8 01 BE 01 C2 00 DF 01 C4 00 DF 00 E1 91 14 55 25 53 55 55 33 53 00
Notes=Surround

And I can't do anything with this, all I get are errors when I try to plug that data in as a UEI learn.

Don't bother with the upload, as this was just a clarification error on my part. I wasn't quite sure what you were saying.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The learned signal looks well formed, and is RC6 dev 16, OBC 82. I made a RCRP05B upgrade using the RC5/6 Combo, and it shoots this signal correctly.
So if you'll upload an RMIR file which contains the learned signal (demonstrated to work-- try it, don't just depend on "worked before") and with an upgrade which should work but doesn't, maybe we can spot something.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hamsterman, I can't find the "Surround" button in the RMIR file you have, and the only upgrade is a Sony 20.

Code:
[LearnedSignal]
KeyCode=12
DeviceButtonIndex=3
Notes=Surround

And I can't do anything with this, all I get are errors when I try to plug that data in as a UEI learn.

Don't bother with the upload, as this was just a clarification error on my part. I wasn't quite sure what you were saying.

I don't know if it will help but if you're trying to paste the learn into IRScope to see what's what, you need to add some stuff:

0C 03 25 00 DF 06 00 DF A6 19 05 47 01 CA 02 9D 02 B8 01 BE 01 C2 00 DF 01 C4 00 DF 00 E1 91 14 55 25 53 55 55 33 53 00

That just puts the prepends the keycode, devicecode and length to the data so that IRScope will take it.

FWIW that decodes to Frequency 35879, RC6, device 16, OBC 82, Hex 52, +2 copies, T=1.

A.A.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I don't know much about learned codes, and I was trying to figure out what was done. I can't see anything that would make this not work.

So if Hamsterman will upload an RMIR file which contains the learned signal and with an upgrade which should work but doesn't I'll try again.
Hamsterman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The learned signal looks well formed, and is RC6 dev 16, OBC 82. I made a RCRP05B upgrade using the RC5/6 Combo, and it shoots this signal correctly.
So if you'll upload an RMIR file which contains the learned signal (demonstrated to work-- try it, don't just depend on "worked before") and with an upgrade which should work but doesn't, maybe we can spot something.

Thank you. I 'learned' the key, downloaded the remote data into RMIR, performed a '981' reset on the remote, and uploaded the file back into the remote. The 'learned' key works fine. The 'upgrade' key still does not.

Here is a link to the sound bar's 'Upgrade' file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11070

Here is the RMIR file I uploaded to the remote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11075

Hamsterman
PS-The test RMIR file was from a file when I had the buttons learned, before creating the upgrade. I then made an upgrade and erased the learned keys. Sorry for the confusion. BTW, the Sony20 upgrade you saw I made for a Sony Blu-ray player and had just finished testing it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have keymoves blocking the underlying setup code on the AUD device. The AUD ok keymove needs to be removed. Probably the reset of the AUD keymoves should be reviewed as well.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, since the protocol is RC6, there is the spectre of the dreaded toggle bit.

This key in learned form will not work twice in a row without another intervening key presses. The IR will send just fine, but the soundbar being Philips, will rigidly conform to the requirements of the RC6 protocol which specifies that for successive keypresses of the same key, the toggle bit must alternate between 1 and 0. Once the soundbar has received this key with T=1, it will not respond to the same keypress with T=1 again, until it has seen a different key. It will respond normally if you send the key with T=0 and then the key with T=1 alternately.

A.A.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cauer29 wrote:
Also, since the protocol is RC6, there is the spectre of the dreaded toggle bit.

Yeah Laughing

Hamsterman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
You have keymoves blocking the underlying setup code on the AUD device. The AUD ok keymove needs to be removed. Probably the reset of the AUD keymoves should be reviewed as well.

Thanks, you nailed it. I deleted the AUD keymoves, and sure enough, it works fine now. And the sound bar ignores the Dreaded Toggle Bit (tm)

Hamsterman
cauer29

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamsterman wrote:
And the sound bar ignores the Dreaded Toggle Bit (tm)

What, Philips the creator of RC5/6 and the dreaded toggle bit has seen the error of their ways?

No, it's there.

JP1 remotes handle the toggle bit properly alternating on successive keypresses....for non-learned keys. You can still get into trouble though since JP1 remotes keep a toggle count of sorts (odd/even) of any key pressed, whether it's an RC6 protocol key or not. So suppose that you press the key in question as part of a macro or whatever and the next step in the macro is a key for an entirely different device and then after that one the macro does the key in question again, it will send the same toggle value for the first time and the second and it will ignore the second press of the same key, since the remote counted the intervening non-RC6 key toward the toggle state.

1. RC6 device 16 OBC 82 T=0
2. Some other protocol with some OBC
3. RC6 device 16 OBC 82 T=0 (this one will be ignored)
4. RC6 device 16 OBC 82 T=1 (this one is not ignored)

If step 2 was an RC6 device 16 with a different OBC, then that would effectively cancel the soundbar's expectation for toggle and it would accept either T=0 or T=1 for any key after that.

I suppose that it's not actually correct for JP1 remotes to be counting all keypresses towards the toggle state, but that is what they do.

A.A.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cauer29 wrote:
I suppose that it's not actually correct for JP1 remotes to be counting all keypresses towards the toggle state, but that is what they do.

Nor is it correct to have 1 toggle bit for 8 different devices.

Then there was my piece of equipment that had two different toggle sets depending on which set of buttons it was working. The menu and arrows button had a separate toggle from the rest of the controller buttons.

~Hamsterman, I'm glad it worked. Having the proper files made it really easy to see what is going on. That's why we don't want to work with images or excerpts from the text. With the original files, we don't have to guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: