JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Windows 7 64 bit and old Cinema 7 (URC-7800) help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aclinml

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Windows 7 64 bit and old Cinema 7 (URC-7800) help Reply with quote

I've been using IR for years for my Cinema 7 URC-7800 (with extender) under Windows XP. I have been using the old USB JP1 interface cable. I now have a Windows 7 64 bit PC and need to get what I need to be able to continue to use IR. From checking before, I think I need the following two pieces of hardware....

http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-flash-usb-cable-for-universal-remotes.html

http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html

Can someone verify for me that these are correct for my URC-7800? Also, I have been running IR 7.15 for a while. Should I just download the latest release of IR and use it with the new hardware? I also noticed in the FILES/DRIVERS section that the 'USB driver Instructions' file has the following comment....

'NOTE: The WinUSB driver can only be used with JP1 (EEPROM) interface cables which contain a Delcom interface chip. Do not use the WinUSB drivers with JP1.2/1.3 (“flash”) cables even if a JP1 EEPROM Programming Adapter is attached.'

So which driver would I need to use?

Thanks,
Mike
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike are you having issues with the old USB JP1 cable? As far as I know the USB JP1 cable is still good to go. Its only those of us that have the LPT1 cable that need to find a replacement.

Thanks to 3FG (Dave) , we have drivers for your existing USB EEPROM cable that will work under Windows 7. To use your current USB cable, download either WdpAMD.zip or WdpIntel.zip from the file section and unzip to a convenient location on your computer. Read and follow the installation instructions since the installation procedure varies by operating system

Also you are REALLY missing out by using IR 7 because IR 8 is absolutely fantastic. It really as a lot of enhancements.

You mention you are using an extender. Is that as out of date as well. I updated the 7800 extender to use all the JP1 bells and whistles back in 2006.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, looks like the files and instructions have been changed as I can't find WdpAMD or wdpIntel zip files anymore.

instead you need the WindUSB instructions and 64bit drivers found in the Drivers folder

Good Luck
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you upgrade to IR 8 you will be able to use your old USB cable with your Win7 64-bit machine.
aclinml

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I will give it a try tomorrow and report back. Thanks, guys (and gals).
aclinml

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Driver update issues Reply with quote

Ok, I have started through the install but have got a problem trying to update the driver. When I plugged the cable into a USB port for the first time, I got the 'Found new hardware' message, and Windows installs a general USB Driver, not giving be a chance to choose my own. So, I go into DEVICE MANAGER and open up the 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. This is what I have underneath there......

Generic USB Hub
Generic USB Hub
Intel(R) 6 Seriec/C200 Series Chipset Fammily USB Enhanced Host Controller -1C26
Intel(R) 6 Seriec/C200 Series Chipset Fammily USB Enhanced Host Controller -1C2D
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

The install instructions say to look for "USB IO Controller". Since I don't have that type of entry, I tried to update the driver for the "USB Root Hub". I get through to the point where I tell it what directory that the Win 64 bit IR driver is located, but as soon as i do that, I get a message stating "The best driver software for your device is already Installed". So it won't let me force it to the IR driver.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went and plugged in my Delcom JP1 cable into a virgin Windows 7 64bit system and a virgin Windows XP 32. In Window 7 it appeared to install the device, but later reported that no device driver was found. Both systems eventually opened the hardware dialog.

I assume you didn't get the dialog or blew past it, so I exited this so I could see where it ended up..

In the Windows 7 64, the "USB IO Controller" showed up in Other Devices group with a yellow mark of some kind.

In the Windows XP, the "USB IO Controller" showed up in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers with a yellow mark of some kind.

I hope that helps.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
aclinml

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't locate anything in any group of devices that has the yellow question mark. I would think there would be some way of 'forcing' Windows to install the driver that you are pointing to.

Are there any other Windows 7 users out there that know how to force windows to install the correct Drivers???
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aclinml wrote:
Well, I can't locate anything in any group of devices that has the yellow question mark. I would think there would be some way of 'forcing' Windows to install the driver that you are pointing to.

Well you need to be able to find the USB IO controller to change the driver or uninstall it.

I can only think of one reason that you couldn't find the USB IO Controller somewhere. When you checked all the areas in the Device Manager for USB IO Controller, was the cable plugged in?

In all versions of Windows, the cable must be plugged in, in order to change the device driver. The USB IO Controller as well as "Other Devices" category, only appears in the Device Manager when the cable is plugged in.

In Windows 7 64bit device manager, an driverless install should look like this.

Quote:

Are there any other Windows 7 users out there that know how to force windows to install the correct Drivers???

I'm fresh out of ideas. I'll step back and let someone else try to figure out what is going on.

On a side note, after uninstalling the USB device yesterday, and plugging it back in today, when Windows 7 notified me that the installations was unsuccessful, it didn't automatically open the hardware wizard like it did yesterday...

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only verify that you can use a USB JP1 cable on 64-bit Windows 7 but it was too long ago for me to remember how you install the driver and get it running.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand this correctly, the Delcom interface isn't seen in device manager. If it is plugged in, I really would expect that it should be listed.

Have you actually tried using IR 8.03 with the interface? Win7 comes with USB drivers, and the OS may have been able to connect without you realizing it.

If it isn't working, then I recommend downloading this USB device viewer. If the interface is plugged in, it should show up on the list (I think). Look for a Vendor ID of 0F5C and a product ID of 1222. You'll probably need to scroll over to the right to see these columns.
aclinml

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

OK, I've been out of pocket for a couple of days, but I was finally able to get it installed....I must have been doing something wrong, because I started over and was able to get it installed. I did turn off 'automatic driver install' from Windows, and it installed with an error. I then went to 'update driver' and pointed it to the Directory that I put the 64 bit driver into, and it updated fine and the cable does work to upload and download to the remote.

Vicky and Rob and 3FG, thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Mike
aclinml

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: other cable drivers..... Reply with quote

On a little bit of a side note.....I have a friend that has an older JP1 remote that would like to use JP1 with. After going to the DIY Gadget web site, it looks like they don't stock any of the older USB cables (EEprom) for JP1 remotes. They do still have the 1.2/1.3 (flash) cables and the adapter to use on older JP1 EEprom remotes.....

What would be the correct driver to install if these were hooked up to a Windows 7 64bit PC?

Or is there anywhere else to get a JP1 cable from?

Thanks
aclinml

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: assistance for a friend Reply with quote

OK, I need some more Windows 7 64bit help. I lent a friend my old JP1 Delcom USB cable, and he installed the WinUsb driver (Delcom Proxy) on his Win 7 64bit machine, and he was able to use the JP1 program to upload and download to his URC 7800 Cinema 7.

So, I took my cable back and he ordered the JP1.2/1.3 Flash cable along with the JP1 Adapter. After connecting them when he does the 'interface check' from the JP1 program, he gets the following message....

OPEN DEVICE FAILED(Last Error=3)

Is there a different driver needed to allow JP1 to work with the new cable and adapter? There was a note in the WinUsb instructions that said......

"NOTE: The WinUSB driver can only be used with JP1 (EEPROM) interface cables which contain a Delcom interface chip. Do not use the WinUSB drivers with JP1.2/1.3 (“flash”) cables even if a JP1 EEPROM Programming Adapter is attached."

If this is true, which driver would be needed, and to install it could be just go into Device Manager and do a 'update driver' or must the device be deleted and reinstalled?

Thanks,
Mike
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Delcom JP1 cable and the FTDI JP1.x cable are completely different beasts that require totally different drivers, so you're not upgrading a driver, you would be installing a new driver for a new cable. Keeping the old driver around won't be a problem, in fact I use both drivers because I have both types of cable.

You can get the FTDI drivers here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: