JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Toshiba MW27FP1 (CRT) TV VCR/DVD combo - URC-6012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob69

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Toshiba MW27FP1 (CRT) TV VCR/DVD combo - URC-6012 Reply with quote

I have an All In One remote that is maybe eight years old, don't know the model number (?worn off), but it does have the 6 pin JP1 connection in the battery compartment. It has 7 separate buttons at the top; TV - VCR - DVD and SAT - CBL - RCVR/AMP and a Home Theater button in the center top below those 6. Does that help identify the model?

I recently bought a 2004 Toshiba MW27FP1 (CRT) TV VCR/DVD combo
and was able to get the All In One remote to turn the TV on and off and change channels and it can turn the cable box on and off and change cable channels.

But I cannot get the remote to control the VCR or DVD functions and cannot get the TV Menu to pop up when I press Menu, so can't adjust contrast, color, brightness,etc on the TV.

I went to Radio Shack to see about picking up a JP1 cable; three workers including an area manager said they never heard of JP1.

So, is it possible to configure this remote to get the Toshiba TV Menu and VCR/DVD functions, or should I just go out and buy a new remote??
I really don't want to go out and buy a new cable for $20 when I can
buy a newer or more up to date remote if I need to.

And if I do buy a new remote, can someone tell me which remote I should get that will control everything on this 2004 Toshiba MW27FP1 CRT TV/VCR/DVD combo?? Walmart carries a few Logitech and Pionneer models, I'm not looking for fancy, just the basics to get this to work.

Thanks

Last edited by bob69 on Sat May 05, 2012 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if OFA remote has the Broksonic dvd code 0695 on board?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to program All-in-One remote for Toshiba TV VCR/DVD Reply with quote

Take a photo of your remote and post it, chances are we'll recognize it.

bob69 wrote:
I went to Radio Shack to see about picking up a JP1 cable; three workers including an area manager said they never heard of JP1.

Of course, JP1 is a home grown internet project, no reason why the workers at RS would have heard of it.

bob69 wrote:
I really don't want to go out and buy a new cable for $20 when I can buy a newer or more up to date remote if I need to.

But whatever remote you buy will be out of date as soon as new equipment is invented, so you'll always be buying new remotes. Whereas, once you get a JP1 cable, your remote will never be out of date. I'm still using a remote that was made in 1999! Normally speaking this remote would be out of date for almost all of my A/V gear (except for the TV) but I'm still able to use it thanks to JP1.
bob69

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: All in One model?? Reply with quote

How do I post up photos, don't see a button for adding attachments?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6557
bob69

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get my camera to work. Here's more information.

There are no numbers on the outside of the remote.

Inside the battery compartment is a white sticker G035004

At the top of the open battery compartment there is a small opening to the inside of the remote. This is printed on the board:

Computime LTD
UEIS-10061
DIK6 REV.2
Jun 28, 2002

And below the battery compartment is the JP1 connection.

Last edited by bob69 on Fri May 04, 2012 11:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
bob69

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after all that writing above I went and surfed on Ebay and found a used remote for sale which is the same unit as mine. Here's a link to the auction and a photo which looks the same as my remote; looks like a URC-6012B00??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220878794886

Forgot to mention; I used 0156 to program the remote so it could control the Toshiba TV power and volume, and the remote was already set up to work my digital cable box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4240HDC) and my stand alone Panasonic DVD player.

When I press the TV/VID button on the remote (after pressing the Cable button) I get this across the bottom of the TV:

TV Type: Widescreen (16:9) Setting: Normal Picture
Press BYPASS to adjust picture, press EXIT when done.

But there is no BYPASS button on this remote, I'm sure there is on the original remote which I don't have. Any way to get this remote to mimic the Toshiba BYPASS function??

Also, if I press the TV/VID button again it says Setting: Zoom Picture, then Setting: Stretch Picture, but the the screen does not change. I tried pressing the arrows around the Select button and the Select button at the same time but nothing changes.

Thanks again.

Last edited by bob69 on Sat May 05, 2012 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the DVD/VCR functions will be controlled by Video 0045 (NEC1 device 68), according to this thread. You could assign 0045 to the VCR button.

Some functions aren't built in to the remote, so you'll need to add them using keymoves programmed with the 994 command.

Can you use Remote Master? It will let you see all of the EFCs needed to program the remote, using the Toshiba MW27H62 files in the TV Combo part of the File Section. There are at least 3 Menu commands, and some use device 64 (TV 0156) and the other uses device 68.

If this is too confusing, post back and with in a day I can post a list of the EFCs.

However, I don't see a Bypass function.
bob69

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a bit over my head especially at this time of night. Will try again tomorrow. I would also like to learn how to get into the TV Menu screens (for setting color, brightness, etc).
Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you don't have a user manual for this remote anymore so here's one for you:
http://hifi-remote.com/manuals/manual.shtml?URC-6012
http://hifi-remote.com/manuals/manual.shtml?URC-6011-codes

Just FYI, there are several remotes that all have the same chip inside them as your remote, so if you see a post somewhere that mentions one of these remotes, the answer will apply to your remote too:

URC-6011, URC-6012, URC-8011, URC-8017, URC-8810, URC-8811

I'm surprised that your remote has the 6-pin installed because this model usually shipped with empty holes where the JP1 connector should be. We would have to solder the 6-pin and a couple of other parts in to make it a JP1 compatible remote. Do you remember ever having to send it back to One For All to have some codes added, by any chance?

Anyway, back to business...

Live Dave (3FG) said, here's what you should do...

1) TV button - keep using TV/0156 - should control most Toshiba TV functions
2) VCR button - start using VCR/0045 - should control most Toshiba VCR functions
3) CBL button - keep using CBL/0477 - Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4240HDC
4) DVD button - keep using DVD/0632 - Panasonic DVD player

Now that we've got the main setup codes sorted out, let's re-program a few individual buttons to do what you want. I am going to list some "EFC" codes below, these are codes that you can use to re-program individual buttons. First, you should test them then if they work, program them to the button of your choice. Each EFC code will only work with a particular setup code.

To test a code, put the remote in the right mode (eg, TV, VCR, etc) then tap the SETUP button, then type in the code. You can hold the last digit to simulate holding the button.

To permanently program a code to the button of your choice (option 1):
1) Tap the device button (eg, TV, VCR, etc)
2) Press and hold the setup button, 2 flashes
3) Type 994, 2 flashes
4) Tap the setup button
5) Type the 3 digit EFC code from below
6) Tap the button of your choice, 2 flashes

Now, given that the DVD MENU code exists under the TV setup code, you might want to actually program it under the DVD mode, so here's how you would do that.

1) Press and hold the setup button, 2 flashes
2) Type 994, 2 flashes
3) Tap the TV device button
4) Tap the setup button
5) Type the 3 digit EFC code from below
6) Tap the DVD setup button
7) Tap the button of your choice (ie, MENU), 2 flashes

TV/0156 codes (ie, use the TV button)
054 - TV Menu
249 - DVD Menu
058 - source

VCR/0045 codes (ie, use the VCR button)
213 - DVD mode
189 - up arrow
193 - down arrow
105 - left arrow
040 - right arrow
038 - select

CBL/0477 (ie, use the CBL button)
151 - bypass (this is the TV/VID button on your remote)
023 - exit

ps: The "BYPASS" message that you mentioned earlier, is coming from your cable box, not your TV combo.

pps: If you want to confirm my guesses as to the codes that you're using for the CBL and DVD units, you can use the 990 command for this:
bob69

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of information, thanks.

Correct, no manuals for the Toshiba Combo TV or the All For One remote.

I picked this TV up for $50 when my 17 year old Goldstar TV VCR combo blew up (capacitor popped). Couldn't find anyone who would replace that one bad capacitor for less than $100. Hated to toss it as that TV actually had a very nice screen/picture; even though it wasn't a HD TV for some reason HD signals from my HD cable box looked great on it, crisper image with more "depth" than this newer Toshiba.

Back to your instructions:

Will I be able to control both the built in VCR and the DVD players by programming the remote to the built in VCR button?
I'm guessing that once a VCR tape or DVD disc is inserted into their respective players then the remote will control which is active??

About the JP1; there are holes but no pins, so that means it's JP1 ready, just doesn't have the internal part installed yet, correct?

I get to trying all this later this evening.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if there are just holes, you would need to solder in a few parts to make it JP1 compatible. Instructions here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2590

You should be able to control everything on the TV/combo and your other devices once you're done. If you find that you can't do everything, let us know what's missing and we'll find the missing codes.

Did you already trash the Goldstar? I bet it wouldn't be that hard to replace the bad cap yourself, and we have a TV repair guy here in the forum who would be able to advise you if there are other components that might also need replacing.

When my Toshiba TV started acting funky, I was able to re-solder one of the parts to get it back working.
bob69

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it hurt but I trashed the old Goldstar, hate to toss stuff out that's repairable but I guess sometimes you just have to let it go. I'm right now in the middle of repairing a windshield wiper motor, one magnet popped loose and it was running slow at times; the motor/wipers still ran even with the magnet stuck to and dragging on the armature. After cleaning everything up and regreasing the bearing and worm gears and oiling the bushing I'll be epoxying the magnet back in place this afternoon.

I just don't have any experience soldering on circuit boards even though it looks fairly easy. Also as the capacitor was gone I didn't know which size and type I should put back in. To know that I would have had to buy the original repair manual, couldn't find it online. The local TV repair people wanted a minimum fee on top of the repair fee, so it probably would have been closer to $150 to repair that 17 year old CRT TV.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that it's not worth spending too much money on old analog CRTs now, because, at least around here in Chicago, you can easily pick up a replacement at the thrift store for $20 or so. But next time, ask here first as we have some people that might have been able to tell you the 411 on the missing cap, etc.
bob69

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got the TV menu to come up but not sure if I did it correctly as the TV Menu does comes up now on the TV screen when in TV mode and I press Menu. The typical list of things like Clock to set the time, but the arrows around the Select button do not work, can't move the selection around to do anything. I also messed up while trying to set the TV menu, I hit the Info button instead of Menu so now that doesn't work in TV mode; it still works in CBL mode however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: