JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Creating IR signals to unlock USB port on LG TVs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iseek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Why are you fixated on using the AUX button on the Comcast remote? My instructions showed you how to use the TV button. I assume that you will either teach the new buttons to your Harmony using the Comcast remote, or you will simply use the Comcast remote to do the hack, and then once it's done, you will revert the Comcast remote back to how it was before.

But, if you really want to use the AUX button for some reason, then yes, you would first need to convert it to be a TV button, using the 992 function, first.

Thank you Rob. That is what I wanted to know.

I figure it would be best to use AUX since it is not being used and that way I don't have to mess at all with changing back and forth the code for the correct TV on the actual TV device button. I keep the Comcast as a back-up so even though in the end I will teach the Harmony the code, I would also like to have the Comcast set so I can use it in the event of the Harmony failing/breaking.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool beans, hope it all works when your TV arrives, and please accept my apologies on behalf of the forum as it was a bit snarky in here today. We don't normally bite the newbies. Smile
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Cool beans, hope it all works when your TV arrives, and please accept my apologies on behalf of the forum as it was a bit snarky in here today. We don't normally bite the newbies. Smile

Yeah, I got to accept the responsibility of being the snark. Didn't even realize that it was me until I re-read the posts. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been posting today as some of my own personal issues seem to have been reflected in my responses. Usually, I'm not this harsh. Gonna dial it down a little. Maybe even take a nap. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
iseek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I realize (and greatly apologize) that it is more complicated by the fact I don't have the TV yet. I have a short turnaround when it arrives before I have to decide whether or not to keep it so I wanted to be ready to turn on THX as soon as it arrives. Thanks for your ongoing help. We all have those type of days (often).

From one of your prior messages, I have determined I have the Comcast OnDemand DVR 3 Device (Grey Select) 1067 according to the picture on the link http://www.urcsupport.com/index.php?mso_id=65 However, when I click the picture for that remote the information it links to seems to be wrong. The online information (as well as the manual that linksto) at http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=592 says to reassign device keys the following:

"Reassigning Device Keys
With the Comcast DVR remote, you can easily decide what device you want to add under the AUX mode. For example, to have the unit control a TV, a Cable Box, and second TV all you need to do is enter in the TV code as follows:
On the remote control, press AUX once. Then press and hold Setup until the key blinks twice, then release Setup.
Enter 1-0-0-4-7
The AUX key is now ready to be programmed for your second TV. See Programming Device Control for instructions."

I tried that and it doesn’t work. I’m pretty sure my remote uses 4 digit codes and Comcast has conflicting info for the wrong remotes.

Instead I think the instructions (found when I chose a different remote pictured) are (from beginning to end in case someone searching could be helped by this...and also you can look to this link to find information about each of these procedures http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands):

1) FIRST to change the device key in order to use AUX as if it was TV key:

• TAP the TV button.
• PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the the TV button flashes twice, then RELEASE
• Type 992. The TV button should flash twice.
• TAP the TV button (the device I want to copy) (nothing flashes yet).
• TAP the AUX button (the device button I want to replace). The AUX button should flash twice.

[Correct?]

2) And then (borrowed from Rob’s post) to associate the AUX device settings (since the AUX key/settings are now the same as a TV device key) with the proper code for the TV itself:

• TAP the AUX button.
• PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the AUX button flashes twice, then RELEASE.
• Type 0178. The AUX button should flash twice.

3) Then to program the special button for EZ-Adjust (per his example, if you are to program EZ_Adjust to the "A" button):

• TAP the AUX button.
• PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the AUX button flashes twice, then RELEASE.
• Type 994. The AUX button should flash twice.
• TAP the SETUP button. The AUX button should flash once.
• Type 00018 (ie, the EFC for EZ-Adjust). (nothing flashes yet)
• TAP the "A" button (or the button of your choice). The AUX button should flash twice.

Is all of this correct? (If not, I will change whatever is wrong so there is no misinformation here.)

By the way, when I first tried this, and got to the part to enter the codes the device lights double blinked after I entered just 2 digits. I think I fixed that by clearing the TV device using a 992 code and the process I found here: http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=139

-PRESS the device (TV,VCR,CABLE, AUD, etc.) button - RELEASE
-PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the red LED flashes twice, then RELEASE.
-PRESS 9 - 9 - 2
-PRESS the device button twice. - Two blinks.

If I do that 992 process for my TV key does that automatically clear it and restore it as a TV key or do I need to somehow associate it as a TV key also (in case I had reassigned it by mistake)?

Last edited by iseek on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 9 times in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does appear that the support site has an incorrect set of instructions for the OnDemand DVR 3 device remote with the grey OK/Select button. And it looks like you have found the correct instructions.
Quote:
Enter 018 (ie, the EFC for EZ-Adjust). (nothing flashes yet)
should read
Quote:
Enter 00018 (ie, the EFC for EZ-Adjust). (nothing flashes yet)

Yes, the instructions under the heading "clearing a device key" will return the definition of the device key to the type shown on the key label. So if you perform the clear procedure on the TV key, it will restore it to a TV type device key.

It sounds like you'll have this all setup before your TV arrives. I recommend once your new TV arrives that you check that you have successfully converted the AUX button to a TV type. Do that by verifying that e.g. the volume buttons control your LG TV volume after you have pressed the AUX button.
iseek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
It does appear that the support site has an incorrect set of instructions for the OnDemand DVR 3 device remote with the grey OK/Select button. And it looks like you have found the correct instructions.
Quote:
Enter 018 (ie, the EFC for EZ-Adjust). (nothing flashes yet)
should read
Quote:
Enter 00018 (ie, the EFC for EZ-Adjust). (nothing flashes yet)

Yes, the instructions under the heading "clearing a device key" will return the definition of the device key to the type shown on the key label. So if you perform the clear procedure on the TV key, it will restore it to a TV type device key.

It sounds like you'll have this all setup before your TV arrives. I recommend once your new TV arrives that you check that you have successfully converted the AUX button to a TV type. Do that by verifying that e.g. the volume buttons control your LG TV volume after you have pressed the AUX button.

Thanks. I have revised for the 5 digit EFC in my post, however,
after clearing the TV key with 992, I still can't input more than the first 2 digits after 994 before the device key is flashing twice. What's going on?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iseek wrote:
3) Then to program the special button for EZ-Adjust (per his example, if you are to program EZ_Adjust to the "A" button):

• PRESS the AUX button - RELEASE
• PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the AUX button flashes twice. RELEASE
• Enter 994 and the AUX button should flash twice.
• Enter 00018 (ie, the EFC for EZ-Adjust). (nothing flashes yet)
• Tap the "A" button (or the button of your choice) and the AUX button should flash twice. RELEASE

Is all of this correct? (If not, I will change whatever is wrong so there is no misinformation here.)

By the way, when I first tried this, and got to the part to enter the codes the device lights double blinked after I entered just 2 digits.

There are two kinds of keymoves, one where we move a key to another, and one where we set up an EFC on a key.

When you set up an EFC you need to tap the setup key before entering the EFC.

• PRESS the AUX button - RELEASE
• PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the AUX button flashes twice. RELEASE
• Enter 994 and the AUX button should flash twice.
TAP the Setup key
• Enter 00018 (ie, the EFC for EZ-Adjust). (nothing flashes yet)
• Tap the "A" button (or the button of your choice) and the AUX button should flash twice. RELEASE

Quote:

If I do that 992 process for my TV key does that automatically clear it and restore it as a TV key or do I need to somehow associate it as a TV key also (in case I had reassigned it by mistake)?

I don't understand this question.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
iseek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vicky! That was the problem. I had copied that (modified the wording a bit) from a post on Page 12 which left out that step so I'll edit my long post. The comment about clearing the key with 992 was already helpfully answered above.

Thanks all!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iseek,
That last correction has the wrong order. The tap of Setup should follow entering 994, rather than following entry of 00018.
iseek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
iseek,
That last correction has the wrong order. The tap of Setup should follow entering 994, rather than following entry of 00018.

Thanks. I'll fix that right now.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iseek wrote:
3FG wrote:
iseek,

In fear of duplicating yesterday's events, I should point out that the following article, "Manual Programming - 9xx Commands" in our Wiki has been referenced quite a few times yesterday and lists the correct sequence and procedures for each of these commands.
iseek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
iseek wrote:
3FG wrote:
iseek,

In fear of duplicating yesterday's events, I should point out that the following article, "Manual Programming - 9xx Commands" in our Wiki has been referenced quite a few times yesterday and lists the correct sequence and procedures for each of these commands.

Yes, and the directions are even better on that link. I just figured there is so much info on that link that it may be confusing for some so I tried to use just what was needed for this purpose.

One more question. I used the 0030 code (and granted I don't have the TV so I can't test yet, but will soon). I see on the AVS forum thread that discusses this specific LG TV model that people mention using the 0178 code. I know that both are LG codes, but should I assume that at least solely for purposes of this one EFC (EZ adjust) the button will work the same no matter which of those two device codes I used for the device key?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iseek wrote:
Yes, and the directions are even better on that link. I just figured there is so much info on that link that it may be confusing for some so I tried to use just what was needed for this purpose.

I'll see if I can spruce that up a bit that way it can be linked and have better focus for each command. For future reference; however, you can use that link to validate the proper procedures of external documentation.

iseek wrote:
One more question. I used the 0030 code (and granted I don't have the TV so I can't test yet, but will soon). I see on the AVS forum thread that discusses this specific LG TV model that people mention using the 0178 code. I know that both are LG codes, but should I assume that at least solely for purposes of this one EFC (EZ adjust) the button will work the same no matter which of those two device codes I used for the device key?

Remember how I wrote each setup codes are associated to specific protocols and parameters? Well, both TV 0030 & 0178 setup codes uses the NEC1 protocol and device 4 as a parameters. So, your EFC codes will create the appropriate signals with either one. Technically, these codes don't "belong" to LG its just a setup which LG responds to, as you might come to find in the future that different devices will respond to codes used by other devices and even manufacturers.

The reason that there are different setup codes with the same parameters is that a different device may assign another OBC to a particular function. For example, channel up could OBC 18 on one setup code but OBC 45 on another. This is just a way to address the different variations of the same protocol/parameters used by separate devices and manufacturers.
iseek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. The TV arrived and the remote worked just fine. Thanks for your patience and sage information. Hopefully the thread will help others who do some searching for these answers too.
Leonheart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the Sony RM-VZ220 access the LG service menu?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: