JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Creating IR signals to unlock USB port on LG TVs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use your Comcast remote if it has either a red or grey OK/Select button.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi iseek, short answer: yes, you can use your Comcast remote.

Longer answer:

1) First, you would need to program TV/0178 to the TV button, like this...
  • Tap the TV button
  • Press and hold the SETUP button, 2 flashes
  • Type 10178, 2 flashes
2) Then you would need to program the special buttons. For the following example, I am going to program EZ_Adjust to the "A" button
  • Tap the TV button
  • Press and hold the SETUP button, 2 flashes
  • Type 994, 2 flashes
  • Tap the SETUP button (don't hold it)
  • Enter 00018 (ie, the EFC for EZ-Adjust)
  • Tap the "A" button (or the button of your choice), 2 flashes
I refer you to the wiki page: Access hidden service menus / modes

The four EFCs that you may need are:

1. EZ-Adjust = 00018
2. IN-Start = 00019
3. POWER-ONLY = 00014
4. IN-Stop = 00015 (factory reset)

Could you point me to the site that is full of pirates?

Last edited by The Robman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My question is how would I add the "ez-adjust" button to the Comcast remote and then could I not just use that remote to teach by IR the Harmony on a given button for my actual TV? I did try the look up tool before I asked the initial question but as a non-techie I could not figure out what info I need to input. What is the "protocol?" I keep reading that the code for the ez-adjust is "0018" correct? And I don't have the model number for the Comcast remote. Thank you for bearing with me. I guarantee this info will be helpful for others.

Most of the comcast remotes have TV/0178 as an option. This remote has the Nec1 Dev4 protocol. If the Comcast remote has a red OK/Select button, the setup code would be 10178. If the Comcast remote has a gray OK/Select button, it would be TV 0178.

Select the TV button. Hold down the set button until the unit blinks twice, enter the setup code, 0178 or 10178 depending on the vintage. You should get a two blink response if the code is present.

Nowhere did you read "0018" you either read "018" or "00018" depending on if the Remote has three digit or five digit EFC's. The gray and silver Comcast remotes use 5 digit EFCs so you'll use the 5 digit efcs shown on the first page of this thread.

Older black Comcast remotes would use three digit efcs.

Read the wiki to see how to use an EFC.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Could you point me to the site that is full of pirates?

Sure, this one has plenty of them but I suspect he's talking about the http://www.lg-hack.info/ forum which I referenced earlier. The forum is just poorly moderated and has been overrun with spam and other non-related messages. Even though the earlier posts are still valid. I think people like our friend here like to disregard older messages.
iseek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will try that when I get home and see which is the correct comcast remote (since 3 of them look very similar). And yes, the LG Hack link is the one where it appeared from searching that it is full of people trying to sell pirated info. I didn't do in depth searches once I saw that because I didn't know that I could trust the info or the site. However a search of "comcast" in the 2 relevant forums brought up no posts.

I did see in my searches yesterday a post somewhere (I printed it but it is at home) about using the AUX button on the Comcast and the code 994. The instructions I saw didn't mention needing to first set up the AUX to use the TV Code 0178 or otherwise. I thought that was strange, but I tried it and it seemed to program the up arrow (the button I chose) because in the end it gave me the blinking lights, etc. But, as I don't have the LG TV in my hands yet I can't check it to see if it actually does work.

Am I to expect that will work or do I need to first program the AUX to work as a TV device, then set the TV code and then use the 994 to set the 018 code? By the way I meant 018 earlier (sorry). Also I did initially read the instructions on the first page (and the others) but was initially thrown off because they refer to a "Magic" button which my Comcast remote does not have (I understand now that it is just the "Set up" button.

Thanks all.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iseek, I am concerned over the way you interpret what you are reading.
You seem to be misunderstanding the JP1 aspect of this, and I wonder how well you understand the LG aspect.

Let me point out what I read in the first LG forum about this a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Don't try this fimware with the USA/CANADA/ASIA/AUSTRALIA MODELS as you will brick your TV!

Since you have multiple Comcast remotes, it would seem you are in either the US or Canada, so I thought I would bring that to your attention.

Again I have NO LG knowledge.
iseek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
iseek, I am concerned over the way you interpret what you are reading.
You seem to be misunderstanding the JP1 aspect of this, and I wonder how well you understand the LG aspect.

Let me point out what I read in the first LG forum about this a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Don't try this fimware with the USA/CANADA/ASIA/AUSTRALIA MODELS as you will brick your TV!

Since you have multiple Comcast remotes, it would seem you are in either the US or Canada, so I thought I would bring that to your attention.

Again I have NO LG knowledge.

Yes, I'm in the US. I think that is just about firmware. From what I read on the AVS forum (Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread), there is the EZ menu where you can turn on THX for example. I don't think that is for non-US only. In my searches in that AVS thread (245 pages) I found references to you folks here who were the experts in how to set up the remotes to be able to access that EZ menu. And (sincerely) thanks for your concern about that.

I have just one Comcast remote. It is has an On Demand button but I don't recall what color is the OK button so I have to check at home.

What about my question about using the AUX button on the Comcast remote? Was the other post I saw (can't recall where) correct that you don't need to set it up with a TV code at all first, you just use the 994 and the 018 code and choose which key will have the 018/ezadjust?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iseek,
Sure, we were just kidding, both in the detailed instructions that the Robman posted a few posts above, or the ones I gave on page 1 of this thread. No, you don't need to follow the instructions; we just like typing out extra stuff to mess with you. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, if you want to use your Comcast remote for other purposes after setting up your LG, I recommend that you do check what I wrote on the first page of this thread. It tells you how to undo the assignment of the EFC to buttons.

One more thing:
If you have a red OK/Select button, use 10178 (or 10030) as the setup code. If you have the grey OK/Select button, use 0030.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iseek wrote:
What about my question about using the AUX button on the Comcast remote? Was the other post I saw (can't recall where) correct that you don't need to set it up with a TV code at all first, you just use the 994 and the 018 code and choose which key will have the 018/ezadjust?

Recreating the appropriate IR commands using EFCs depends on the respective setup code. For example, if you programmed a button with EFC "018" while your remote is programmed to control a Sony Television or a Pace Cable-box then it won't create the intended IR signal for your LG TV. That's because the end result of what the EFC translated into is what we refer to as an Original Button Code (OBC). This is typically a number between 0 to 255. The OBC is encapsulated with other numbers in the IR signal provided by the setup code / protocol as means of identification. This allows the receiving device to discriminate which particular IR signals are meant for it.

As per the wiki article, "Manual Programming - 9xx Commands", the 994 command you mentioned is a move command. So, if you recall correctly which I highly doubt, the instructions would have assume that you already had the setup code and function programmed on the remote. The 994 code would be used to relocate which button would receive the command. If you are interested in the instruction in how to associate an EFC to a button or send it on the fly then its instructions are also in the "Manual Programming - 9xx Commands" article. And quite specifically both Rob's and 3FG's posts tell you how to setup the appropriate setup code and EFCs. So, yay for trolling the advice of our senior experts!
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the patience of you guys amazes me, I would have lost my cool 2 pages ago Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mike
iseek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
iseek,
Sure, we were just kidding, both in the detailed instructions that the Robman posted a few posts above, or the ones I gave on page 1 of this thread. No, you don't need to follow the instructions; we just like typing out extra stuff to mess with you. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, if you want to use your Comcast remote for other purposes after setting up your LG, I recommend that you do check what I wrote on the first page of this thread. It tells you how to undo the assignment of the EFC to buttons.

One more thing:
If you have a red OK/Select button, use 10178 (or 10030) as the setup code. If you have the grey OK/Select button, use 0030.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with your first comment. I didn't say that I thought your instructions did not need to be followed. I was asking about if/how it could be done using the AUX device and not the TV device. It has been a long time since the days I used an All In One type remote but I seem to recall that the AUX button itself had to be programmed to become a TV button so it could accept the right TV codes. Is that not the case with the Comcast remote?
iseek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilligaf wrote:
Sometimes the patience of you guys amazes me, I would have lost my cool 2 pages ago Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mike

After 245 pages on the LG site and reading this thread and searching the internet and not living and breathing remote tech information, I appreciate those who have been somewhat patient. As I said, if you read the many pages on the LG site you will see that many people (who don't have an intimate knowledge of remotes and how they work) have issues with just trying to get the basic procedure. The procedure Rob and 3FG posted I had obviously seen, but my first question had to do with Harmony (which their posts obviously don't cover but I thought they could answer) and then my question is about using the AUX button (not the TV button), which is not addressed in their posts.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you fixated on using the AUX button on the Comcast remote? My instructions showed you how to use the TV button. I assume that you will either teach the new buttons to your Harmony using the Comcast remote, or you will simply use the Comcast remote to do the hack, and then once it's done, you will revert the Comcast remote back to how it was before.

But, if you really want to use the AUX button for some reason, then yes, you would first need to convert it to be a TV button, using the 992 function, first.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a message to the regulars here, please be nice to the newbies.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iseek wrote:
After 245 pages on the LG site and reading this thread and searching the internet and not living and breathing remote tech information, I appreciate those who have been somewhat patient. As I said, if you read the many pages on the LG site you will see that many people (who don't have an intimate knowledge of remotes and how they work) have issues with just trying to get the basic procedure. The procedure Rob and 3FG posted I had obviously seen, but my first question had to do with Harmony (which their posts obviously don't cover but I thought they could answer) and then my question is about using the AUX button (not the TV button), which is not addressed in their posts.

It doesn't matter which device button you use; AUX, TV, CABLE, dog, cat, mouse, plane, train, or automobile button. It will need to be associated to a setup code which uses the NEC1 protocol and Device 4. You cannot bypass the process of associating the proper setup code. Again, the output of the IR signals which are programmed by EFCs are dependent on the active setup code on the remote.

Your biggest issue is that you trying to avoid reading any documentation which explains the fundamental principals of using a JP1 remote, therefore you're asking us to rehash the same information which we've already spent many hours documenting. To make matters worse, you don't even have the LG television so you wouldn't even know if your efforts are in vain or not. So, unless you have the inhuman ability to see infrared signals and genius to decode it in the quick time span, I would suggest for you just to wait until your television arrives. While you wait, take the time to actually understand how to actually use the remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: