JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Big Button Remotes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtveng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Big Button Remotes Reply with quote

Have been playing with Jp1 and my 3 URC-8910's for some time. But the buttons are way too small for my old eyes..My searches here have not uncovered anything..Can anyone point me to a recommended BIG button Jp1 remote?

Thanks,
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Button Remotes Reply with quote

dtveng wrote:
Have been playing with Jp1 and my 3 URC-8910's for some time. But the buttons are way too small for my old eyes..My searches here have not uncovered anything..Can anyone point me to a recommended BIG button Jp1 remote?

Thanks,

I believe the Cricket remote has huge sized buttons, albeit a little limited in quantity. All the other known "big button" JP1 remotes seem to fall in the "Dreambox" form factor like the URC-6541. You can walk through the drop down list of all the currently supported remotes using Remote Master while having the Layout tab opened if you want to do a little "window shopping".

Otherwise, the only "Big Button" remotes currently in the One-For-All catalog are the URC-4410, URC-4420, URC-3110, and the OARK02R. However, I don't believe anyone at this point has confirmed whether or not any of them are actually compatible with our current tools.
dtveng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a compromise that does what I need..Comcast URC1067's are available NEW on ebay for $7.50 (and used for less) shipped. Items # 190545314883 .. And with a new cable quickly and effortlessly from Tommy..I'm set. I was also able to reprog my Sezmi remote (Insignia 67100) to control one of my Yamaha AVR's.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtveng wrote:
I found a compromise that does what I need..Comcast URC1067's are available NEW on ebay for $7.50 (and used for less) shipped. Items # 190545314883 .. And with a new cable quickly and effortlessly from Tommy..I'm set. I was also able to reprog my Sezmi remote (Insignia 67100) to control one of my Yamaha AVR's.

Is that a compromise or did you just give up on the "big button" feature altogether? I have the Comcast URC-1067's and consider them average as far as the button size on remotes. It doesn't seem to me that the URC-8910's are much different than the Comcast; button size-wise, anyways.
dtveng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1067's are much more legible..at least to my eyes.. But no, still looking for one with bigger buttons.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtveng wrote:
1067's are much more legible..at least to my eyes.. But no, still looking for one with bigger buttons.

Ah, okay. The font on the Comcast remote does appear to be a quarter point or two larger and has a slightly bold attribute to it. That could probably explain why they are more legible to you.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RS 15-135 and a RCA RCRP05B. The two remotes are almost identical in size and both have 62 buttons. Yet the RCA is easily read in dim light, and the 15-135 is not. The difference is in the color of the lettering-- white on black for the RCA, and grey on black for the 15-135.

I find the Comcast remotes to be very easy to read. It is bigger than the above two, and has 55 buttons.
dtveng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one of the RCA's at box busters the other day to play with..it feels really nice in hand but the buttons are awfully small..tho more readable than the 8910's for me. I like the Sezmi remote (Insignia 67100)
too..so I got another one on ebay today to play with my AVR's.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtveng wrote:
I like the Sezmi remote (Insignia 67100) too..so I got another one on ebay today to play with my AVR's.

I'm curious about this Sezmi Remote since you keep referring to it as the Insignia 67100. Which I assume is the same as the one linked in my signature. Though from what I see the Sezmi remote is similar in form factor and even parts of the button layout, but it is not the same as the Insignia. So, I'm curious did you alter the RDF/IMG/MAP for it?

Quote:

Btw, I like the Insignia too, it feels like "a good size".
dtveng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, That's it.. RM V2.02 Beta tells me it is the Insignia..tho obviously a variant..and yes, I did alter the RDF as what is in the remote and its layout is a bit non standard. I had it controlling my TWC HD box. Then I put certain features of my Yamaha RX-V992 that I use outdoors for my patio into it in a manner intuitive to me and shelved the original oversized hand unfriendly way too expensive to replace remote. When I get the next one I will be glad to post the RDF. I may use the next Sezmi to control the most commonly used features and scene presets on my Yamaha RX-A3000... Whose original remote is terrible.
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtveng wrote:

How is it legal to sell NEW Comcast remotes? Aren't they the property of Comcast?
dtveng

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
Aren't they the property of Comcast?

Not the one in my hand.. Very Happy
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
How is it legal to sell NEW Comcast remotes? Aren't they the property of Comcast?

I suppose that would depend on how they were obtained. Just because they have the Comcast logo on them, it doesn't mean they're exclusively the property of Comcast. When they rent/lease equipment and it is lost, then a replacement fee is required to get another. If later on you find the old remote then it is now yours, since you've paid for the replacement.

Furthermore, Comcast doesn't actually manufacturer their own remotes. Either UEI or one of their manufacturing partners does. It is possible a certain quantity of them were leaked outside of the normal distribution. This doesn't necessarily mean that there's something underhanded at play. It could mean that the manufacturer has built more than the quantity in the original order in case of defects. So, these "new" remotes could have been sitting on their shelves for a while and now they're making room for other products. Of course, it is also possible my cousin Vinny found it after it fell off the truck; if you know what I mean. Capisci?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Big Button Remotes Reply with quote

dtveng wrote:

I just happened to be on YouTube and saw this...

It is the inside of the battery cover of either a URC-6410 or URC-6420. They are known as the "Easy & Robust " and the "Easy & Robust (2-n-1)". These could very well be the first big button remotes which might one day be compatible with our tools. At least it has the 6-pin IDC header we've all come to love.
dtveng

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ones of those two I see available are from across the pond. Would be nice to know before taking a chance on them. But that is more like what I am looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: