JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

the newer remotes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
just4fn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: the newer remotes Reply with quote

I've been using jp1 for several years and have all the discretes set up for my tv- input/on off etc. Do the new remotes off the shelf use known discretes for input/ on off of selected devices or do they use toadtogs or just the input code? My sister wants to buy a harmony and I'm thinking it uses toadtogs. Thanks for the info
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: the newer remotes Reply with quote

just4fn wrote:
I've been using jp1 for several years and have all the discretes set up for my tv- input/on off etc. Do the new remotes off the shelf use known discretes for input/ on off of selected devices or do they use toadtogs or just the input code? My sister wants to buy a harmony and I'm thinking it uses toadtogs. Thanks for the info

It will very upon device and how the manufacturer sources its remote profiles. Logitech has a large database and is growing every day because they use a method of crowd sourcing. This allows them to bless remote profiles used by multiple customers. Besides, remotes are just triggering devices. Not every device has discrete commands for their rotating functions.

One of the Harmony’s key (and patented, and registered!) capabilities is “Smart State Technology”. SST, as it’s known for short, is essentially a system of techniques and workarounds to ensure that the remote always knows the power status and input mode for each and every device in your system – even if that device wasn’t designed with such capabilities in mind. Very much similar to our ToadTog protocol.

The Smart State will work with four different input methods. The first is a traditional “toggle” that uses a single button to switch inputs, the kind found on most televisions. To use this method the software needs to know the exact list of inputs on your television, and whether turning the set off causes it to return to a specific source. The Harmony will then use a variable to keep track of which input the television is currently on. This works quite well, but if for any reason the A/V system and remote ever get out of sync a special routine will need to be run that re-synchronizes everything.

The second method is a three-button system used, apparently, by some Samsung televisions where one button brings up an input menu, a second button makes the selection, and a third button confirms the selection. The third method for Toshiba televisions also uses a menu, but in this case one button brings up the menu and then a numeric key selects the input. Finally, there’s the “discrete code” system that uses separate commands to select each input. These are the easiest and most reliable way for any universal remote to control inputs, and are supported by a growing number of major manufacturers. Even if your original remote control lacks discrete codes the Harmony’s database contains them for a large number of different brands and models.

For power functions two types of command systems are supported, “toggle” and “discrete”, with toggles once again employing a status variable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: